How many crossed shopped the GT4?

Maverick1

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
I did cross shop the GT4 with the Emira, but it only took a few phone calls to make my decision easy on the Lotus.
When I called the Porsche dealerships and expressed interest in a GT4 both salesman said to me that in order "to qualify" for a GT car allocation you had to have owned many Porsches in the past, and the woman was very, snobby snooty about this.
I told her I owned a Boxster for 10 years and she said that really doesn't help my case.
As soon as I heard the words "qualify for" I was immediately turned off, I just want to buy a new car, so the Lotus wins hands down for accessibility.
Another thing that turned me off the GT4 was its extremely tall gearing, hitting 84 kms in first gear and 137 kms in second gear.
I plan on getting the manual Emira in order to row my own gears.
With the GT4 gearing I would hardly get out of second gear, without severely breaking the law, and risking losing my drivers license.
I'm just hoping the gearing in the Emira is shorter for more fun.
Does anyone have an idea on the gearing in the Emira manual car??

Lankan

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Welcome to the world of new-age Porsche.

As a long-term Porsche enthusiast, what you say above, notwithstanding the behemoths that all the new models are, I too would have been turned off by that attitude.

Give me an old-school motorsport 911 any day, especially a motorsport variant of the 964.

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
If the Emira uses the same gearing as the most recent Evora V6 (very likely) then 2nd will take you to about 70mph and 3rd to around 100mph.

Leonard

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
If the Emira uses the same gearing as the most recent Evora V6 (very likely) then 2nd will take you to about 70mph and 3rd to around 100mph.
That would be better than amazing 👏 Excitement levels rising! 😀

ksegg

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
When I called the Porsche dealerships and expressed interest in a GT4 both salesman said to me that in order "to qualify" for a GT car allocation you had to have owned many Porsches in the past, and the woman was very, snobby snooty about this.
This is hands down, the biggest reason Porsche is on my shit list and I will never do business with them. At first, I thought it was just one dealership giving me grief, but after visiting 5 different dealerships across 2 different States, I got fed up with it all.

What a horrible way to do business.

Pegasi

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
I did cross shop the GT4 with the Emira, but it only took a few phone calls to make my decision easy on the Lotus.

I crossed shopped the GT4. However, in the USA there are a number of pre-owned models with low miles so I didn't have to order new. Still very expensive averaging about 150K. I wanted a mid-engined car so not much to choose from in my price range.

~el~jefe~

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score

really shows the 1 trick pony existence of the GT4. Is it a cool car? yes. Will it last a long long time driving hard? yes. Should one own it if super wealthy as a track porsche experience car? Yes or the Sypder.

Is it worth it cross shopping with a new Emira? Absolutely not. And that's why we are on this forum.

GT4 needs a turbo to justify the ADM inflation of 150k. I am a porsche guy only by the way, this is my first venture to consider something new. Emira looks like it's the answer

Nova

Emira Addict
Reaction score
I have never considered a Cayman. Except for maybe the Maccan, I have no interest in any Porsche product. I am sure they are fine products and serve their owners well. I just won't be one of them.

~el~jefe~

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
I have never considered a Cayman. Except for maybe the Maccan, I have no interest in any Porsche product. I am sure they are fine products and serve their owners well. I just won't be one of them.
well isnt that special

Dommo

Emira Fan
Reaction score

really shows the 1 trick pony existence of the GT4. Is it a cool car? yes. Will it last a long long time driving hard? yes. Should one own it if super wealthy as a track porsche experience car? Yes or the Sypder.

Is it worth it cross shopping with a new Emira? Absolutely not. And that's why we are on this forum.

GT4 needs a turbo to justify the ADM inflation of 150k. I am a porsche guy only by the way, this is my first venture to consider something new. Emira looks like it's the answer
The GT Porsche cars are not about drag times. There are plenty of cars that will beat them off the lights. Aside from the long gearing (on the GT4) you'll struggle to find a more engaging car to drive either on the road or on track.

Leonard

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score

I'm not sure what that video is proving? The GT4 isnt about 0-60 times. The manual V6 Emira is not going to be a quarter mile monster either. And you can't compare manual with PDK.

VL3X

Staff member
Reaction score
I was shopping 981 GT4s for a couple years.. they were all around $80-85k. Those same cars are $105-115k now. My FE Emira will be right around ~$100k, so seems like a decent deal, considering the FE is pretty loaded (minus the missing ADAS and some interior customizations.. would be nice to have a true bucket seat option too).

FWIW, I'm still considering scooping up a 981 or 718 manual Cayman S/GTS to hold me over this year since the US FE's are looking like winter deliervies at the earliest here.

Magma

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Totally fine with this! More for me 😈

p.rob

Emira Fan
Reaction score
most of the replies are fanboy replies... I totally get the anger you can feel when being told by a dealer you can't order one, I've had a hard time with this for years as well.

But saying the GT4 is a one trick poney and that it needs a turbo and it does not justify it's price, that's far fetched lol. You can get a Cayman S for half the price and you'll get your turbo. I've owned a GT4 since 3 years and I'm very anxious to get my Emira as well. I personally think both cars will have their time to shine in different occasions, but I'm sure both are awsome cars very fun in every circumstances. The Emira really needs a decent bucket seats option like the GT4, those seats alone create such a sens of occasion.

One thing I can tell you right now, the general experience when buying a porsche is nothing like what it is buying a lotus, what a messy experience I've had so far.

PaulP

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Snobby may appeal to some but it turns me off big time. If I call to order a car and my money isn’t good enough for you then I’ll shop elsewhere. I’m not trying to join a secret society I just want a quality product.

Leonard

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
The Emira really needs a decent bucket seats option like the GT4, those seats alone create such a sens of occasion.
I'm sure buckets will come in the future. But the lack of this option now and having to have full electric seats (that are currently looking like armchairs) is the only disappointment I have with the Emira

p.rob

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Snobby may appeal to some but it turns me off big time. If I call to order a car and my money isn’t good enough for you then I’ll shop elsewhere. I’m not trying to join a secret society I just want a quality product.
As I said, that I can understand. But keed in mind some Emira customers might not get their car for 2-3 years, so that's almost the same thing in my book... They take the money and hold on to it not even knowing if they will be able to fulfill the order within a reasonable delay. At least porsche has the decency to tell you that all allocations are allocated and that you won't get one.

I'm one of the first ones heving given a deposit here in Canada (the day the car was revealed) and with I'm not even sure I'll get my car by the end of the year. That makes AT LEAST 18 months of waiting

Last edited:

Leonard

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
As I said, that I can understand. But keed in mind some Emira customers might not get their car for 2-3 years, so that's almost the same thing in my book...

I'm one of the first ones heving given a deposit here in Canada (the day the car was revealed) and with I'm not even sure I'll get my car by the end of the year. That makes AT LEAST 18 months of waiting
I think the BIG difference here is that you can place an order with Lotus and at a point in time you will get the car and have a pretty good idea of when that may be. With Porsche it will be a thank you but no thank you we don't want your money, or simply pay you lip service and put you on an imaginary waiting list. Ive been in both of those scenarios more than once. That is why I ordered my Emira

Last edited:

p.rob

Emira Fan
Reaction score
I think the BIG difference here is that you can place an order with Lotus and at a point in time you will get the car and have a pretty good idea of when that may be. With Porsche it will be a thank you but no thank you we don't want your money, or simpmy pay you lip service and put you on an imaginary waiting list. Ive been in both of those scenarios more than once. That is why I ordered my Emira
I guess time will tell. I'm as confident as you are with the ability of Lotus to fulfill all orders.

Last edited: