Hi Team, look what I can buy for $63K! thoughts?

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Yo, even Tom can’t touch this awesome thread, it’s in the correct area:p
I’ve been watching it for the last few days, wondering whether to move it to Off Topic!

The sub-forum is “Emira versus the Competition” - is a considerably cheaper car that’s got four seats and based on a family saloon car really a direct competitor of the Emira? :)

OP
lion shf

lion shf

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
I’ve been watching it for the last few days, wondering whether to move it to Off Topic!

The sub-forum is “Emira versus the Competition” - is a considerably cheaper car that’s got four seats and based on a family saloon car really a direct competitor of the Emira? :)
Of course you’re right. I gotta admit lotus fans hate the car.

K_Squared

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I'm a big bimmer fan and I hate the car purely because it is just so hideous to the eyes. I have similar feelings whenever I see one of these on the road:

iu

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order

You do you, and buy the car you want to own and drive. Happy to have it posted somewhere on here, provided the discussions are respectful. That’s tricky when the car divides opinions even amongst BMW fans, but we seem to be managing so far.

OP
lion shf

lion shf

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
You do you, and buy the car you want to own and drive. Happy to have it posted somewhere on here, provided the discussions are respectful. That’s tricky when the car divides opinions even amongst BMW fans, but we seem to be managing so far.
(y)(y)(y)

Chobfreak

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I think the new M2 mainly struggles because it's got really big shoes to fill.

The last gen M2 was one of the best looking BMWs ever and was awesome to drive, it felt like a proper E30/E46/E92 successor and just had the M factor.

People who've never driven an older M won't care if it's heavier or boostier though and I suspect it will sell very well in the end.

Last edited:

kitkat

Emira Degenerate
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order

I don’t see how it couldn’t be? Both are GT sports cars. Are we limiting comparisons to only rwd mid engine 2 door 2 seat sports cars?

I guess comparisons to the Evora are out :)

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
I don’t see how it couldn’t be? Both are GT sports cars. Are we limiting comparisons to only rwd mid engine 2 door 2 seat sports cars?
… and has to be in the same price bracket!

No, it was tongue in cheek. If you’re considering buying it instead of an Emira then it’s a competitor. Some are cross-shopping fast saloons and hot hatches, others are looking at weekend toys like Caterhams, others at more track-focused machines.

We all love cars, just that we love some cars more than others :)

GetawayDriving

Emira Fiend
Reaction score

I’m a firm believer in drive whatever makes you happy. There are no wrong answers, the only “wrong” in the car community is tribalism.

With that said, I’m just not sure why anyone who is interested in this new M2 is here on this forum. Similar feelings with the Corvette. They’re just very different experiences.

I’ve spent too much time driving other people’s Lotus and now my problem is, I crave all of the communication these cars give. I’m all-in on the less weight, less power, more feedback and fun at legal speeds train. I understand Emira will be a relative compromise over previous Lotus in exchange for minimum levels of tech and comfort, and I’m ok with that but wouldn’t want to compromise much further.

So to hop from Lotus to a car like M2 which is comparably numb, heavy, Turbo’d and assisted… It doesn’t make much sense to me.

To me, the real alternatives to Emira are other Lotus, Alpine, Caterham, Alfa 4C, GT Porsches or used McLarens. But the problem is the Caterham is a glorified motorcycle, the Alpine and Alfa don’t let you row your own, the used McLaren maintenance or Porsche ADMs will make a guy bankrupt.

So I continue to wait. But if you’re someone jumping ship to M2 or Vette it makes me wonder if you really understand the car that this forum is named for.

I guess there are other reasons folks might be here, looks being a big one… but aside from that the Lotus isn’t going to be as good as those other cars if what you want is power, tech, comfort, GT, etc. it’s really ALL about handling and engagement. The rest has become par in the class after years of relative compromise. If what you want is power, tech, comfort, GT… Emira May not scratch the itch, those other cars will likely do it better. And that’s before we get to dealer network, parts availability, etc.

Last edited:
OP
lion shf

lion shf

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
just because I like the m2 doesn’t mean I dont understand what makes the Emira special. Do they cost the same? If they did I’d buy the Emira.

GetawayDriving

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
just because I like the m2 doesn’t mean I dont understand what makes the Emira special. Do they cost the same? If they did I’d buy the Emira.

Well I’m just responding to why you may think Lotus people hate the M2. From my perspective, I think the new M2 is ugly as sin and a missed opportunity to be lighter and more angsty than the bigger M cars, but I wouldn’t turn it down for a weekend fling. However if I had to buy something at a lower price point than Emira, I’d personally take that $63k for the M2 and buy a Miata, and then stick the ~$30k savings in the little cubby behind the driver’s seat because the Miata doesn’t have a glove box. But the MX-5 is the same formula at a lower entry and that formula is the reason I’m here and the rallying cry of most Lotus faithful. The M2 might be great, it’s just something very different.

Last edited:

Cachaco131

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Emira Status
Waiting to order
I think the new M2 mainly struggles because it's got really big shoes to fill.

The last gen M2 was one of the best looking BMWs ever and was awesome to drive, it felt like a proper E30/E46/E92 successor and just had the M factor.

People who've never driven an older M won't care if it's heavier or boostier though and I suspect it will sell very well in the end.
I will not lend @lion shf my e46. He will realize how awesome it is. 😀

BeHappy

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Come on now we all like a bit of ugly don’t we 🤪 - Tom can you not start up a BMW owners club laid out just like this one Bimmerpost sucks - it’s like I’m going to be forced to spend another 80k so I can remain in the awesome owners club and chat cars 24x 7 🚗

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Come on now we all like a bit of ugly don’t we 🤪 - Tom can you not start up a BMW owners club laid out just like this one Bimmerpost sucks - it’s like I’m going to be forced to spend another 80k so I can remain in the awesome owners club and chat cars 24x 7 🚗
I’ll take that as vindication we’ve created broadly the right environment here :)

I’m not interested in starting another forum but if a few BMW fans want to discuss with @supersix and @Dragoon - they started this forum and look after all the tech and admin. They would need volunteers to moderate, create structure and content, and start discussions.

OP
lion shf

lion shf

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
I’ll take that as vindication we’ve created broadly the right environment here :)

I’m not interested in starting another forum but if a few BMW fans want to discuss with @supersix and @Dragoon - they started this forum and look after all the tech and admin. They would need volunteers to moderate, create structure and content, and start discussions.
I’m retired, no way I’m helping out without free beer

Cachaco131

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Emira Status
Waiting to order
Gotta love the ending: "At least you don't have to see it while you are driving". This thing is 700lb more than the Emira?

BeHappy

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Dealer deliveries have started in 🇨🇦 - For UK 🇬🇧 is it right we’ll not see them until Autumn 🍂?