Henry Catchpole - Carfection review

GetawayDriving

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
I have a crew like this from around the SE US. We gather every year or so for a long weekend of driving insane roads in remote places.

Would love to hear some of your favorites, maybe in the Ode to Roads thread. I'm likely headed that way after this trip for West Coast Lotus Meet in SD. I've really only driven 66 straight through, Apache Trail, and that stretch from Flagstaff to Sedona.

emiraspain

Emira Addict
Reaction score
I've just booked a trip beginning first weekend in September. I'll be heading to the Nurburgring, Spa, Silverstone, Hethel and the Alps. I have bookings for an Audi TT (Germany), MX-5 (Alps), Emira (Driving Academy), 718 (Silverstone) and I'm looking for an A110 for a 2 day stop around Monaco - driven in that order.

When all is done, I'll be able to clear all of this up lol.
Ive driven all those cars, 2 of them at your locations..... I hope you get the 718 GTS and not the S.
If you could get a caterham for the alps, apart from practicality, it would be so much more fun.
in terms of comparing them, apples and oranges. For me, no comparison to the Emira from any of the others.... but lets see what you find, without tainting the cars with the experience ;), as Hethel can hardly compete with the Alps.

GetawayDriving

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Ive driven all those cars, 2 of them at your locations..... I hope you get the 718 GTS and not the S.
If you could get a caterham for the alps, apart from practicality, it would be so much more fun.
in terms of comparing them, apples and oranges. For me, no comparison to the Emira from any of the others.... but lets see what you find, without tainting the cars with the experience ;), as Hethel can hardly compete with the Alps.

The TT is the only car I don't have prior experience with (aside from Emira obviously), but it will be interesting to drive all of these sort of "back to back". I'll be coming fresh off a week with the MX-5 when I hop into Emira next, so that's another comparison I'm personally looking forward, not that they're similar but that they both seem more about optimizing the joy of the driving experience than raw performance, so I consider them kindred.

I haven't been able to find a Caterham (within budget) for the week in the Alps. I've rented one around the highlands so I'm familiar with the driving experience, and agree it's the most epic choice for this. Part of the problem is the amount of time and distance I'm putting on these cars, makes classics, rarities and exotics prohibitive. I'm pretty happy with the MX5 though (assuming it's actually an MX-5 and they don't try to give me a 206 cabriolet and say "well we said OR SIMILAR"), I owned an ND and adored it and am curious how different the ND.2 feels from my ND.1.

hagen111

Emira Fan
Reaction score
When it gets to comparing M4 and Emira:

If you own one (sports)car...nobody will notice the 'difference' as you have nothing to compare it with...and the Emira will be fantastic! Its the absolute perfect weekend blaster for any moment and any road! Small and nimble, gorgeous looking, manual, V6 howl, plenty of power, real DNA and character, analoge steering feel. What else do you want in a sportscar!? Really...an M4!?

If you own several cars...I own many....I absolutely love the difference of character of each car...going from cruising in a sculpture like the latest Morgan Aero 8, the raw experience in a manual 991.2 GT3, the best and fastest of all by far: Donkervoort JD70...the comfort and pure brilliance of the Yaris GR...etc etc. The EMIRA fits in that collection as it is DIFFERENT...there is just NO WAY I would fill that same spot with an M4.

Last edited:

Toomanyloti

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner

If you own one (sports)car...nobody will notice the 'difference' as you have nothing to compare it with...and the Emira will be fantastic! Its the absolute perfect weekend blaster for any moment and any road! Small and nimble, gorgeous looking, manual, V6 howl, plenty of power, real DNA and character, analoge steering feel. What else do you want in a sportswear!? Really...an M4!?

If you own several cars...I own many....I absolutely love the difference of character of each car...going from cruising in a sculpture like the latest Morgan Aero 8, the raw experience in a manual 991.2 GT3, the best and fastest of all by far: Donkervoort JD70...the comfort and pure brilliance of the Yaris GR...etc etc. The EMIRA fits in that collection as it is DIFFERENT...there is just NO WAY I would fill that same spot with an M4.
Ditto - enjoy the differences thats why I have a garage full of Bike and Car nonsense :ROFLMAO:

VL3X

Staff member
Reaction score
there is just NO WAY I would fill that same spot with an M4

I sold an M4 for my friend who was bored with it after a year. He ordered it new and paid for the BMW delivery performance experience in Atlanta (or whatever they call it) and was super excited at first. Had some fancy KW V3s installed and custom ordered Volks and some performance mods. Then it just mostly sat in his garage. Sat so long it actually developed an oil leak due to a dry rotted gasket. He said it got boring and he enjoyed his GTI more.. even on track. So I guess that speaks to driver engagement and fun factor. I hope the Emira has all that.

Moral of the story.. Drive your toys! They're meant to be enjoyed. 😎

Lankan

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score

If you own one (sports)car...nobody will notice the 'difference' as you have nothing to compare it with...and the Emira will be fantastic! Its the absolute perfect weekend blaster for any moment and any road! Small and nimble, gorgeous looking, manual, V6 howl, plenty of power, real DNA and character, analoge steering feel. What else do you want in a sportscar!? Really...an M4!?

Couldn't agree more. (y)

For me, its gearshift aside, the Exige S RGB offers the raw experience that I missed after parting with my old 964RS. I don't need more power for road driving.

The perfect recipe includes agile chassis, good/quick steering, good damping, good brakes, and less weight transfer when driving on twisty roads. I am hoping that the Emira will offer a majority of the above, and at a very competitive price. If so, then it is a definite win-win in my book.

Last edited:

Porter

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
The perfect recipe includes agile chassis, good/quick steering, good damping, good brakes, and less weight transfer when driving on twisty roads.
100% agreed. It's about the way it dances with the road, not the numeric speed. If the responses from the chassis and drivetrain are immediate, the steering feel and feedback are very good, and the limits of grip are high over many kinds of pavement and road features, the speed will come naturally as a byproduct of driving it well. Horsepower is an overrated component of the formula.

Did you spec Touring chassis, or Sport? I chose the latter (with GY) and am still second-guessing.

I'm not sure the additional compression damping will be desirable in a non-track setting. I'm starting to get the impression from recent drive reviews that the low speed compression and rebound specs aren't that different between Tour and Sport, and if that's the case I may have chosen the wrong setup. I wish Gavan Kershaw had described this in more specific detail for a knowledgeable audience when given the chance.

Leonard

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
100% agreed. It's about the way it dances with the road, not the numeric speed. If the responses from the chassis and drivetrain are immediate, the steering feel and feedback are very good, and the limits of grip are high over many kinds of pavement and road features, the speed will come naturally as a byproduct of driving it well. Horsepower is an overrated component of the formula.

Did you spec Touring chassis, or Sport? I chose the latter (with GY) and am still second-guessing.

I'm not sure the additional compression damping will be desirable in a non-track setting. I'm starting to get the impression from recent drive reviews that the low speed compression and rebound specs aren't that different between Tour and Sport, and if that's the case I may have chosen the wrong setup. I wish Gavan Kershaw had described this in more specific detail for a knowledgeable audience when given the chance.
They do still have the chance!

Lankan

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score

Perfect. I think you have articulated what I meant far better than I did.

From what I have seen, read and heard so far, the Touring suspension/set up will suit my needs best, so that is what I have gone for. However, a test drive will be the final decider, which I have to weigh up against potential delays. I am well down the queue, with an indicative build & delivery slot in Spring 2023. As such, I am hoping I will get to test drive a car with the Sports set up well before that, if the dealer gets their demo car in soon that is.

The Sport setup with Goodyear F1s was an option, but, hearing the mixed and not-so-positive feedback, has made me pause to consider. Will wait for the test drive before making a final decision on what setup to go for.

Although my reference point may be considered old-school, it works for me - I still use the feel and involvement I had with the 964RS, albeit with 993RS front struts to tame its darty behaviour on UK's bumpy (B) roads, it was perfect for my needs. The Ohlins setup on the RGB has the same feel and sense of involvement when driving it. The RGB is much quicker though due to it lowish weight (935kg), but the feel and involvement are very similar, which is perfect for my needs. As such, if the Emira is anywhere close to that I will be very happy, but we know that it is heavier and much wider than either. We know it does have Lotus DNA, and if its steering (feel) is as good as one expects of a Lotus then I am sure it will be great to drive, albeit at over 1,450 kgs, the Emira will be the heaviest in my stable, which will be noticeable when compared to the RGB.

As regards, what you have stated in the final paragraph of your post above, based on what we have seen and heard, I would tend to agree with you. Given that the dampers are not adjustable a decision needs to be made upfront or be prepared to change later. The experiences of running with Ohlins (Exige S RGB) and KW V3 (Clio V6 255) have been wholly positive since their compression and rebound characteristics can be set up to suit your needs - I have fast-road setups on both, so it will be interesting to see how the 'feel' compares with Emira's touring set up.

Having already heard Harry's and Chris H's feedback, the other review I am really looking forward to is from Richard (Dickie) Meaden (a long-term owner of a 964RS). RM drove validation prototype VP-007 (Touring setup with Goodyears) in March: LOTUS EMIRA PROTOTYPE 2022 REVIEW

The excerpt below is what caught my attention:
"Unusually the Emira’s power-assisted steering is not electric, but hydraulic, and immediately feels different to the EPAS systems we’ve become used to over the years. It has more weight, but the effort required remains consistent and true as you work from lock-to-lock and as lateral load increases. It takes some getting used to, but only because the rate of response is natural, fluid and assured rather than hyped-up and excessively alert.

Gently roll your wrists and the Emira peels into quick corners with cucumber coolness. No fuss or nibbling at the corner, just one smooth input from turn-in through apex to exit. Into tighter corners you inject the attacking energy by applying punchier steering inputs.

You feel a little body roll as the car begins to absorb lateral load, but once the suspension has started to work it remains beautifully composed, with a beautifully progressive transition into the mildest understeer as you squeeze into the throttle, or subtle, easily controlled oversteer if you make more aggressive inputs to bring the tail into play. As promised, Sport mode allows the car to properly slide, though always with the sense the car is being held softly by the electronics
."

Classic Lotus (with DPM), and hope this remains true...

Last edited: