Heated mirrors not really working

Joel

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Hey everyone, so I started my Emira up this morning, condensation covering both mirrors and rear windscreen.

Turned on the heated rear windscreen and waited, and waited, and waited. But nothing really seemed to happen and eventually the heater timed out and turned itself off.

It took long enough that I gave up, got out and washed wiped the mirrors myself. The read window didn't clear itself really tbh either.

Has anyone else tried theirs? Any similar experiences? How long does it take to clear condensation covered windows for others?

Davebeats

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
IMG_1183.png

PsymonR

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Hey everyone, so I started my Emira up this morning, condensation covering both mirrors and rear windscreen.

Turned on the heated rear windscreen and waited, and waited, and waited. But nothing really seemed to happen and eventually the heater timed out and turned itself off.

It took long enough that I gave up, got out and washed wiped the mirrors myself. The read window didn't clear itself really tbh either.

Has anyone else tried theirs? Any similar experiences? How long does it take to clear condensation covered windows for others?
I don't think the Emira has heated mirrors, they certainly aren't mentioned on the Lotus website in the list of equipment on the car.
Being in I4 limbo I can't give any insight into clearing of window condensation though.

JimH

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
The rear windscreen is open to the elements both inside and (to a degree) outside (i.e. there's an open gap at the bottom of the glass, and it's also open to the the engine bay) and can take an age to clear depending on outside humidity and temperature. It clears quicker once the engine bay is warm though ;)

And from the manual, page 172 :
Manual Page 172.jpg

Last edited:
OP
Joel

Joel

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Manual says the mirrors are heated as you'd expect based on any other modern car, and they did appear to start that misting you get with heated mirrors, it just seems they were pathetic in doing so
Screenshot_20231111-143626.png

PsymonR

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Manual says the mirrors are heated as you'd expect based on any other modern car, and they did appear to start that misting you get with heated mirrors, it just seems they were pathetic in doing so
Ah, fair enough! If they're meant to be heated then a bit odd to not include that on the equipment list, or perhaps Lotus know they're rubbish and just doesn't mention them. That or the manual doesn't fully match with reality (which wouldn't necessarily surprise me!)

981KMAN

Emira Fan
Reaction score
@Joel Can you provide more detail on the condition of the mirrors and rear glass? And what did NOT happen that you thought should have.

I think the heating of the Mirrors and Glass is to remove frozen precipitation, (frost), not drops of water. I may have misunderstood your situation, thus my request for clairification. Were the mirrors or rear glass "warm" when you cleared them manually? I would try them on a cool dry day and see if they get warm to the touch.... maybe they are not activating??

Please keep us informed. Thanks!!

OP
Joel

Joel

Emira Fan
Reaction score
The mirrors and rear glass were both covered in condensation, a film if water over the mirrors meant that I couldn't actually see anything in them.

I turned the engine on, switched the heated screen/mirrors on and waited. You could see a slight clearing of the mirrors at the edges, and around the veins through the rear glass, so it looks like they were definitely doing something.

When I eventually gave up, I don't know how long I'd been sat, a while. I wiped the mirrors myself and they were maybe luke warm, they certainly weren't hot enough to clear the water.

And that's the issue, in other cars, I would get in with the mirrors and rear glass in this condition, and within a couple of minutes they'd be clear enough for me to see through. It's almost like the heating elements aren't strong enough or aren't heating the mirror and glass enough at least.

Yes I get that they would normally clear a frost, but, in other cars I've driven, they would normally be able to clear the morning condensation as well, would you not also expect this?

EspritGuy

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
The mirrors and rear glass were both covered in condensation, a film if water over the mirrors meant that I couldn't actually see anything in them.

I turned the engine on, switched the heated screen/mirrors on and waited. You could see a slight clearing of the mirrors at the edges, and around the veins through the rear glass, so it looks like they were definitely doing something.

When I eventually gave up, I don't know how long I'd been sat, a while. I wiped the mirrors myself and they were maybe luke warm, they certainly weren't hot enough to clear the water.

And that's the issue, in other cars, I would get in with the mirrors and rear glass in this condition, and within a couple of minutes they'd be clear enough for me to see through. It's almost like the heating elements aren't strong enough or aren't heating the mirror and glass enough at least.

Yes I get that they would normally clear a frost, but, in other cars I've driven, they would normally be able to clear the morning condensation as well, would you not also expect this?
Is it Mist White?