Has anyone weighed the seats?

Steve Tillett

Reaction score
These look great. I assume you loose all the electric controls. Although I have another car with carbon seats and they have electric controls for back and forward and tilt which is quite nice. Would it be possible to have that adjustment?
It would be very difficult. The current OEM seat controls and motors are built into the frame so there is no way of using them. Honesty, I just did four hours in my seats and I don't know why you would want to cart around the weight of the motors.
Comparing comfort, the fixed B10 XL's were miles better and I do not get the back pain after one hour, as I usually do with the original electric seats. My daughter, who is 55 kg fell asleep in the seat, so they even worked for her as a passenger.

EFE

Reaction score
It would be very difficult. The current OEM seat controls and motors are built into the frame so there is no way of using them. Honesty, I just did four hours in my seats and I don't know why you would want to cart around the weight of the motors.
Comparing comfort, the fixed B10 XL's were miles better and I do not get the back pain after one hour, as I usually do with the original electric seats. My daughter, who is 55 kg fell asleep in the seat, so they even worked for her as a passenger.
Steve, If you can come up with something to solve the airbag throwing lights it would make it work for me. Maybe a plug that completes the missing circuit of a "black box" to fool the system?

Steve Tillett

Reaction score
Steve, If you can come up with something to solve the airbag throwing lights it would make it work for me. Maybe a plug that completes the missing circuit of a "black box" to fool the system?
This would be my ideal solution. I keep hoping someone comes to my rescue on that one. Electronics is not my forte so I need an expert to work it out and make something.
I am driving around with a seat belt warning light and an SRS warning message. It's actually not annoying but needs solving if it is to be a proper aftermarket solution.

OP
dgrace

dgrace

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
This would be my ideal solution. I keep hoping someone comes to my rescue on that one. Electronics is not my forte so I need an expert to work it out and make something.
I am driving around with a seat belt warning light and an SRS warning message. It's actually not annoying but needs solving if it is to be a proper aftermarket solution.
Do you have a picture of whatever electrical plug you disconnected from the stock seats? My thinking is the answer might be to get the mating plug for it and connect a few pins with jumpers, but I may be oversimplifying.

Edit: ideally a photo with a ruler held behind the plug for size reference.

Last edited:

hagen111

Emira Fan
Reaction score
I have removed OEM seats, weighted them: 25kg each.

Accordingly mounted Carbon Recaro Podium + 4 Schroth harnesses.

We solved the fault codes. Full topic here:

https://www.emiraforum.com/threads/nimbus-emira-modification-journal.3155/

IMG_4879.jpeg
IMG_4877.jpeg

Porter

tap tap... is this thing on?
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I saw your other picture on SELOC @Steve Tillett and they look great. What’s the rough cost for a pair with the necessary runners and hardware?

View attachment 29933
Looking at how this fits in the car... amazing the amount of room left around it. Looks to be a fantastic solution.

@Steve Tillett do you have any plans to make an XL version of the B8 seat as well? Seems like the lower/smoother thigh bolster area of the B8 would be more compatible with ingress/egress in a wide car like the Emira, particularly for passengers that aren't ultra-limber. Or are there other pros/cons at work that make the B10 more appropriate?

Here's the B8 seat, for those who are interested in what I'm referring to:
63e4f5573ab209173f11b085_B8-43%20Carbon%20GRP%20with%20panels%20small%20file.jpg

Porter

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I will try and find out the implications from Lotus themselves.
What would be incredible would be a way to mount the Lotus airbag module on the side of the seat to keep it operational, with a sacrificial decorative cover. I know that's a huge undertaking, so I'm not saying that lightly... just thinking out loud.

Porter

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
does having the buckets mean you can’t get at the rear storage space?
Typically the rails are slide only, no quick-tilt. And even if they could, it would hit the roof before giving you meaningful clearance.

The best these will be able to do is pull forward under the dash. It remains to be seen how far forward. Ideally, Tillett will come up with a rail configuration that will provide a good amount of forward movement for this exact reason.

DMc

Reaction score
Each Emira seat is 26 kg.
I just put a pair of my B10’s in with our runners and modified Elise brackets and all up with brackets, runners, custom panel set and the stock belt receptor they are 11 kg.
30 kg saved and way better support with no bad back after an hour.
Thanks for that input, Mr T.

Without going overboard on engine output, here are my bang-for-buck weight reduction suggestions: LiFePO4 cranking battery, carbon louvred tailgate panel (replace the glass, reduce the thermal load latency, reduce weight) the one with all them slats on teh late Exige 390/410's for example. Lightweight Al alloy baffled sump (2GR-FE V6), oil cooler kit (komotec), aftermarket lightweight Al alloy flywheel mix-n-match sports pressure plate/organic clutch plate combo thang.

Finally, if you must, fit only the exhaust headers manifold in Titanium alloy, add lightweight mufflers. Since those two things can be heavy. Air intake induction stuff may be considered (subject to Emira dimensional requirements and practicality) eg. the Exige S and Sport 350 (series 3 2GR-FE V6) had a SSC swap-in kit including a filter that breathed a little more efficaciously, and removed clutter, allowing better free air circulation in the engine bay (I believe).

Interior:
Tillet full carbon seats, height selectable mount bracket, sliding rail (a la series 3 Exige driver's seat), incl seat pads option. Love those seats.

Last edited:

Steve Tillett

Reaction score
Looking at how this fits in the car... amazing the amount of room left around it. Looks to be a fantastic solution.

@Steve Tillett do you have any plans to make an XL version of the B8 seat as well? Seems like the lower/smoother thigh bolster area of the B8 would be more compatible with ingress/egress in a wide car like the Emira, particularly for passengers that aren't ultra-limber. Or are there other pros/cons at work that make the B10 more appropriate?

Here's the B8 seat, for those who are interested in what I'm referring to:
63e4f5573ab209173f11b085_B8-43%20Carbon%20GRP%20with%20panels%20small%20file.jpg

No plans on an XL B8 yet as we have other fish to fry first but eventually there will be one.
The B10 XL leg support really is not a problem. My 87 year old father can get in and out without help. If he can anyone can. I use the seat every day and it is bloody fantastic in that car. I may be deemed totally and utterly bias but I am confident of this fact.
I'm still fiddling with the brackets but even these are looking good now.

Steve Tillett

Reaction score
Typically the rails are slide only, no quick-tilt. And even if they could, it would hit the roof before giving you meaningful clearance.

The best these will be able to do is pull forward under the dash. It remains to be seen how far forward. Ideally, Tillett will come up with a rail configuration that will provide a good amount of forward movement for this exact reason.
This is with the runners right forward.
Passenger standard B10 XL full forward test brackets.jpg

Driver Lotus style B10 XL full forward test brackets.jpg

Steve Tillett

Reaction score
Do you have a picture of whatever electrical plug you disconnected from the stock seats? My thinking is the answer might be to get the mating plug for it and connect a few pins with jumpers, but I may be oversimplifying.

Edit: ideally a photo with a ruler held behind the plug for size reference.
These are the two plugs connected under the seat.
Sorry I forgot the ruler. I can do them again if important.
These are the plugs on the seat itself.

Attachments

• 2023-09-05 10.56.54.jpg
    2023-09-05 10.56.54.jpg
    212.7 KB · Views: 12
  • 2023-09-05 10.56.48.jpg
    2023-09-05 10.56.48.jpg
    228.6 KB · Views: 16
  • 2023-09-05 10.56.41.jpg
    2023-09-05 10.56.41.jpg
    234.3 KB · Views: 15
  • 2023-09-05 10.56.31.jpg
    2023-09-05 10.56.31.jpg
    196.3 KB · Views: 14
OP
dgrace

dgrace

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
These are the two plugs connected under the seat.
Sorry I forgot the ruler. I can do them again if important.
These are the plugs on the seat itself.
Interesting! Great info. So many pins on that grey plug, so few wires actually connected. I'm guessing the big black/white pair are power and ground. The yellow plug only has 4 pins total, I'm wondering if it's a serial bus or something.

OP
dgrace

dgrace

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
One more question @Steve Tillett : if you have one seat full forward and one full back, what's the width of the gap between them? i.e. could you fit a carry-on suitcase through the gap to stow in the back?

Steve Tillett

Reaction score
One more question @Steve Tillett : if you have one seat full forward and one full back, what's the width of the gap between them? i.e. could you fit a carry-on suitcase through the gap to stow in the back?
Easily, a regular suitcase will even fit. The seats are much more compact than the originals so there is far more space.

Showing gap between seats.jpg

hagen111

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Question: are the seats in the lowest position possible? I find that the seats need to be very low to find best position.

Question 2: when do you anticipate you have the 'Emira B10 XL set' ready to order?

Steve Tillett

Reaction score
Question: are the seats in the lowest position possible? I find that the seats need to be very low to find best position.

Question 2: when do you anticipate you have the 'Emira B10 XL set' ready to order?
When the B10 XL’s seat are put in the lowest position in the Emira they are too low for most. You would need to be 6 ft 9 inches. At the moment I have them in the highest position in the brackets and they are still lower than OEM.
The seats themselves can be ordered now. I am still finalising the bracket kit. I have to get the parts all ordered and there are a couple of bits need sorting to make the brackets and runners a full kit that bolts straight in without the customer stressing.