Has anyone weighed the seats?

dgrace

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Just curious if anyone with a production car (or any aftermarket shop) has tried unbolting the FE seats and putting them on a scale yet?

Evotion

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
I know a company who has.. and there is a massive apprx. 50Kg to be saved if one substitured them for carbon buckets on a lighter frame.

This is not exactly as surprise.
You would shed weight but comfort would be removed and that is against the point of the car.

Still, nice to think they are options and maybe Lotus will offer options themselves.

Fido

Reaction score
Emira Status
Waiting to order
Seats are a bit of a bug-bear for me. I worked in the industry for many years and seats have always been too heavy and over complicated. Fine if the car is going to be driven by several family members of a range of shapes and sizes but I’m likely to be the sole driver with possible rare exceptions. I’d happily have a lightweight seat with minimal adjustment (maybe just fore/aft on rising rails). The perfect solution for me would be some further adjustment via adjustable cams etc that require a spanner to set. Once done it’s done and you don’t spend your life dragging a dozen electric motors around!

Evotion

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Yeah, makes sense.
I did consider some Tillett carbon seats. Sates 50Kg !!!!! but bloody solid and not that adjustable and not really what I want for the Emira.

OP
dgrace

dgrace

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Yeah, makes sense.
I did consider some Tillett carbon seats. Sates 50Kg !!!!! but bloody solid and not that adjustable and not really what I want for the Emira.
Did your shop come up with a total weight for the stock seats? Would be great to have a number on file for future reference. (i.e. was 50kg the stock weight, or the delta compared to some specific carbon bucket?)

Concept24

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Just the driver's seat or both? I really doubt the driver's seat would be anything near 50kg.
I think power seats are silly but there needs to be travel adjustments for fore and aft and height.
My MX5 seats are very easy to adjust, manually and are not heavy, based upon what I've seen in forum comments.

Evotion

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
A pair of the carbon seats saved a whopping 50Kg over the pair of current heavy electric seats.

I originally offered up my car for them but I think , for the Emira, comfort is more important overall.

OP
dgrace

dgrace

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Ok how much do the carbon seats weigh?

AndyVX

Reaction score
lighter seats would be great but carbon buckets would make it difficult to get to the luggage space behind the seats

Fido

Reaction score
Emira Status
Waiting to order
Well there’s not going to be a single perfect solution, I’m just hoping for a compromise with limited manual adjustment that saves on all of the power motors. I appreciate the Emira has to match rivals for comfort etc, but it is still a Lotus and the whole DNA thing requires a sensible approach, hence my hope that a more basic entry model will deliver for me.
I really liked my Mk2 Elise 111S, if I could have made it better, first priority would be improving ease of entry, second better acoustic insulation and third access to a media screen and Apple CarPlay. The Emira will do all of that and more Providing my patience holds out!

Steve Tillett

Reaction score
Just curious if anyone with a production car (or any aftermarket shop) has tried unbolting the FE seats and putting them on a scale yet?
Each Emira seat is 26 kg.
I just put a pair of my B10’s in with our runners and modified Elise brackets and all up with brackets, runners, custom panel set and the stock belt receptor they are 11 kg.
30 kg saved and way better support with no bad back after an hour.

Attachments

• emira b10 xl 3.jpg
    emira b10 xl 3.jpg
    374.1 KB · Views: 112

teamvxracing

Reaction score
Each Emira seat is 26 kg.
I just put a pair of my B10’s in with our runners and modified Elise brackets and all up with brackets, runners, custom panel set and the stock belt receptor they are 11 kg.
30 kg saved and way better support with no bad back after an hour.
wish yours were a factory option

Steve Tillett

Reaction score
I saw your other picture on SELOC @Steve Tillett and they look great. What’s the rough cost for a pair with the necessary runners and hardware?

View attachment 29933
I have not got the final bracket price in yet as I am trying to simplify the bracket. This is fitted using modified EBS brackets on our PTRi runners but the B10 XL with the carbon/special panels matching your other trim and the bracket/runner set, a set will be in the region of £3,000 + VAT.

EFE

Reaction score
I have not got the final bracket price in yet as I am trying to simplify the bracket. This is fitted using modified EBS brackets on our PTRi runners but the B10 XL with the carbon/special panels matching your other trim and the bracket/runner set, a set will be in the region of £3,000 + VAT.
These look great. I assume you loose all the electric controls. Although I have another car with carbon seats and they have electric controls for back and forward and tilt which is quite nice. Would it be possible to have that adjustment?

Porter

tap tap... is this thing on?
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Thanks Steve, this sounds great!

Academic question: are the floor mounting points in the Emira the same as the Evora? Or is it something new?

Steve Tillett

Reaction score
Thanks Steve, this sounds great!

Academic question: are the floor mounting points in the Emira the same as the Evora? Or is it something new?
There is a difference in the early Evora's with Recaro seats (335 mm I think) to the later ones with Sparco seats 345 mm but they are both different to the Emira (420 MM) although the width between the holes is the same.
The later Evora's use the same runners as the later post 2017 Elise and Exige's.