Harry's Garage videos - visit to Hethel and Matt Windle interview, Emira collection and drive

Captain.Kirk

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
1. I got the impression some comments from this forum were purposely answered during the video and on the tour.... it seemed some how scripted, but fine...
2. 1000 miles...... thought it was a good bit less, but again, its really taken a little overboard I think.
3. By coincidence, his gear change is perfect from day 1.... lucky him :).
4. I like his honesty, as always, re the seats and I dont think they are going to bed in as he would like, but lets see after the 2000 miles.
5. Scott is 100% a sales person..... and you can tell he has got his patter for the hand over well oiled and will repeat it 100's of times. I hope they offer factory collection for none UK people too! I dont think he mentioned how to get the hub cap aligned perfectly in the end.
6. Car looks great.. yes red looked best in that video I think, but blue and well again, all colours look good.
7. Makes me want the car more seeing them there... but we shall see how strong my nerve is.

CC car down to 24 hours.... for those who cant wait much longer after seeing the video..

Im off to gift my neighbours a case of wine..
Love Harry’s excitement but it’s definitely Lotus PR at work. Harry is a player in this game and Lotus is leveraging him. Do we all get a framed rendering of our build or is it yet another Harry perk? And I guess aligning the hub cap is to remain a secret for now.

OP
TomE

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
The Evoras required a 1k miles check up where the dealer would scan the ECU and change the oil, but I guess the Emira is somehow different? Are they using a different viscosity oil or something? VW said the same thing for my cars (10k oil changes), but I tracked mine at 2k miles so it definitely got changed early in my GTI. :p I had them do the first oil change on my wife's '20 GLI at 5k.

I think the 10k intervals are fine as long as quality oil and filters are being used. But I do agree the initial change should be done sooner. I've read extensively on the arguments on if this is necessary or not. Some say changing it too soon can cause problems... others use full syn and still change it every 2k. I tend to do mine yearly and that's because I work remote and sadly don't get to drive more than ~4-5k a year these days.

No 1,000 mile ECU download or oil change required on Emira, unlike Evora. I discussed with factory folks and they have enough experience with the V6 now to revise the requirements. It'll be helpful for those who live a long way from a dealer. If you still want to do it then that's fine.

FlyNavy01

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
I have noticed during around a 100 trips to the USA over the past 30 years, that Americans have really keen interest in oil changes. You have more Jiffy Lube (other brands are available) than McDonalds. They are everywhere, quite apart from presumably regular car workshops and dealerships that can provide servicing and oil changes. I find this extraordinary, why is this? Do you pop out for a quick oil change just after lunch or while driving to get groceries "hang on darling before we visit Target, let's pop in for a quick oil change".

I have owned many cars and once a year has all I have ever needed, either done by me when I was young and poor or by the local garage during an annual service.
Mostly for convenience and cost savings. We're a country of inventing somewhat absurd things to appease our laziness. I remember some foreign friends I had visiting were laughing that we even have drive-thru ATM's here. I'd estimate >95% of drivers are not enthusiasts, so a 15 min oil change where you don't have to leave your vehicle is more appealing than scheduling 1-2 hours out of your day and paying 2-5x the cost at a dealership. I suspect many of us, myself included, prefer to do as much servicing on our own cars as we can, but most are not like that.

Back on topic, I'm so glad Harry is an Emira enthusiast as I thoroughly enjoy his honest reviews, as well as insights into the ongoings at Hethel. Excited for the travel videos!

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
Mostly for convenience and cost savings. We're a country of inventing somewhat absurd things to appease our laziness. I remember some foreign friends I had visiting were laughing that we even have drive-thru ATM's here. I'd estimate >95% of drivers are not enthusiasts, so a 15 min oil change where you don't have to leave your vehicle is more appealing than scheduling 1-2 hours out of your day and paying 2-5x the cost at a dealership. I suspect many of us, myself included, prefer to do as much servicing on our own cars as we can, but most are not like that.

Back on topic, I'm so glad Harry is an Emira enthusiast as I thoroughly enjoy his honest reviews, as well as insights into the ongoings at Hethel. Excited for the travel videos!
I'm also looking forward to any tips, tricks, advice Harry comes up with as a result of his extensive experience with the car before most of us get ours.

R1272

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Love Harry’s excitement but it’s definitely Lotus PR at work. Harry is a player in this game and Lotus is leveraging him. Do we all get a framed rendering of our build or is it yet another Harry perk? And I guess aligning the hub cap is to remain a secret for now.
I don't think there's any doubt that Harry is part of their PR machine, but he does seem mostly fair. He did comment on the seats feeling high in his first video, which has been mentioned by other reviewers.

I suspect the hubcap 'trick' is nothing more than snapping them on once the car is parked.

Cutting42

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
I don’t know anything about those places, I don’t trust anyone to work on my cars but me and a handful of people. I’m also not talking about regular engine oil changes. You misunderstand my post — I’m talking about running in oil change.

I understood your running in oil change comment - although I am unclear this is needed or specified these days with modern cars and oils being much better - my comment was more general as I have always wondered about the number of oil change places.

frazzer

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I thought the framed picture was the (previously secret) gift spoken of before that comes with Hethel pickup?

VL3X

Staff member
Reaction score
I thought the framed picture was the (previously secret) gift spoken of before that comes with Hethel pickup?

It is. It's not just for Harry, but anyone doing factory pickup.

I'm still waiting to see if all buyers get that fancy Emira box with key holder and paint matched car swatch thing.

Last edited:

Evotion

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Love Harry’s excitement but it’s definitely Lotus PR at work. Harry is a player in this game and Lotus is leveraging him. Do we all get a framed rendering of our build or is it yet another Harry perk?
Yes, of course it is PR and rightly so.
Harry is a major influencer, second only to Schmee, but he is well above blowing smoke up anybody's arse. If the car has issues, foibles and major mechanicals during his tour he will not hold back on it.

It was supposed to be a secret but - yet again - a cat is out the bag,
Yes, every collector gets one in their car colour. Not all will be signed.
I have no idea if we all get these - as in mine is straight off to GVE for a full PPF and extras.

Captain.Kirk

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
The framed pic could certainly be a perk of doing a Hethel pickup. However, since I’m in Canada I might as well not bother booking my flight. But a factory pickup/tour/drive would be a great idea for international customers. After all, Porsche and Mercedes do it.

JimH

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
The framed pic could certainly be a perk of doing a Hethel pickup. However, since I’m in Canada I might as well not bother booking my flight. But a factory pickup/tour/drive would be a great idea for international customers. After all, Porsche and Mercedes do it.
There's an extra charge for a Hethel collection £195 or maybe £199 if I remember correctly.....

SuperBusa

Reaction score
There's an extra charge for a Hethel collection £195 or maybe £199 if I remember correctly.....
Yes there was and I honestly didn't get why. It seemed such a great opportunity to engage with owners and save on delivery costs but they go and put and extra charge so I was out. 👨‍🎨

Cachaco131

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Emira Status
Waiting to order
They should offer some insurance package and ability to drive for a couple of weeks and return to the factory for intl delivery. It would add to the experience .

Cachaco131

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Emira Status
Waiting to order
Porsche offers this so don't see why Lotus couldn't. They could even replace one of those useless Lotus PR videos with the announcement.

Nice. I guess it adds costs, staffing and other problems. But I loved bmw European delivery. I was hooked but now even if they offered it again, I could not be seen in those monster designs.

OP
TomE

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Porsche offers this so don't see why Lotus couldn't. They could even replace one of those useless Lotus PR videos with the announcement.

Lotus have been asked before about this and have said the costs, staffing, paperwork and so on is sadly too much for them to be able to offer this at the moment.

Captain.Kirk

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
I guess it’s a win - win for both the customer and Lotus. The customer gets to see some of the Hethel shop and Lotus saves the cost of transporting the car to a dealer.