Great podcast regarding Lotus from Everyday Driver

GetawayDriving

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
The caller seems to want Lotus to compete with BMW, but Lotus wants to compete with Porsche and their product strategy reflects that.

The caller’s plans sound like a recipe for more of the same financial struggle, catering to Niche. Caller wants Lotus to dump money into ICE R&D to establish a presence in a dying market.

Lotus is doing the smart thing. They are embracing the future now, getting a head start on the competition and, as Todd points out, using the transition as a way to leap ahead while big legacy auto are struggling to turn the ship.

They have a long way to go to compete with Porsche on owner experience but the Eletre and Emeya are very strong product in the EV space and stronger than anything Porsche offers currently. We’ll see how the Macan EV compares.

Agree with the hosts that Lotus has to find something special dynamically. I think Lotus will be used as the halo brand for Geely and will be the first to display and utilize new tech. Old Lotus (spartan, ultra light, analog) is dead, but hopefully they can pioneer what it means for an EV to be a driver’s car in new and satisfying ways

The Eletre doesn’t feel like a Lotus in the old tradition, but it is one of the best EVs I’ve ever driven, and I’ve driven most of them.

Last edited: