• We are conducting our first ever Lotus Emira of the Month for May 2024. This will be a monthly contest and will be submissions from users, voted for by the membership. Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 May 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Going beyond 7k RPM: A Thread

Porter

tap tap... is this thing on?
Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Like many of you, I'm interested in exploring what options exist for raising the rev limit (safely) once my warranty is done.

At minimum, this involves a reflash of the factory engine management or a replacement of the ECM. Both are available, with replacement ECMs from JUBU Performance (Syvecs) on sale now, and MWR (ECUmaster) coming later this year, among others. Reflashes are currently in development from BOE Fabrications as well as a range of other tuning shops. So there will be technical methods to achieve remapping appropriate to this objective.

From what I've read, the limiting physical factor in increasing engine RPM significantly on the 2GR-FE (as supplied by Lotus) is apparently the valvetrain, specifically the valve springs. There are several options on the market to replace these, in varying degrees of increased performance over the stock valvetrain.

Mild: Jubu Performance valve springs for 2GR-FE - 30% harder, good to 7700rpm on otherwise stock valvetrain.​
Moderate: MWR valve springs for 2GR-FE - 50% harder, good to 7700+ with high lift. Needs additional retainers and advice from MWR. Claimed good for 8000rpm with titanium valves and other supporting parts. These also seem to be sold by Komo-Tec under their own brand, but those are the same product for 2x the price.​
Wild: Supertech kit by Frankenstein Motorworks - Good to claimed 8300rpm with standard lift cam. Includes retainers and caps.​
Unknown: Supertech dual valve springs - unknown specs, part number SPRK-EC3025D-2GR. Very high end product, may be very high performance. No longer in Supertech catalog, but exists in fulfillment warehousing. Needs investigation with Supertech to determine complete spec.​

Hope this helps to open up the topic for discussion. I'm interested to see what others discover, attempt, and achieve.

Last edited:

NoFear99

Emira Fan
Reaction score
6800 is clearly not enough.
With a flash we should be good for at least 7200. ( 7500 would be a sweetspot. )

R35_J

Reaction score
Like many of you, I'm interested in exploring what options exist for raising the rev limit (safely) once my warranty is done.

At minimum, this involves a reflash of the factory engine management or a replacement of the ECM. Both are currently available, with replacement ECMs (Syvecs) from JUBU Performance and others. Reflashes are currently available or in development from Olympic Motorsports, BOE Fabrications, etc. So there will be technical methods to achieve remapping appropriate to this objective.

From what I've read, the limiting physical factor in increasing engine RPM significantly on the 2GR-FE (as supplied by Lotus) is apparently the valvetrain, specifically the valve springs. There are several options on the market to replace these, in varying degrees of increased performance over the stock valvetrain.

Mild: Jubu Performance valve springs for 2GR-FE - 30% harder, good to 7700rpm on otherwise stock valvetrain.​
Moderate: MWR valve springs for 2GR-FE - 50% harder, good to 7700+ with high lift. Needs additional retainers and advice from MWR. Claimed good for 8000rpm with titanium valves and other supporting parts. These also seem to be sold by Komo-Tec under their own brand, but those are the same product for 2x the price.​
Wild: Supertech kit by Frankenstein Motorworks - Good to claimed 8300rpm with standard lift cam. Includes retainers and caps.​
Unknown: Supertech dual valve springs - unknown specs, part number SPRK-EC3025D-2GR. Very high end product, may be very high performance. No longer in Supertech catalog, but exists in fulfillment warehousing. Needs investigation with Supertech to determine complete spec.​

Hope this helps to open up the topic for discussion. I'm interested to see what others discover, attempt, and achieve.
Just a fair warning about Olympic Motorsports. I live in South Florida and have been screwed over by then years ago. There are tons of horror stories on the forums and FB groups if you search their name. They also just recently totalled a customer's car:

Luiggi, the owner, is known crook and hack.

OP
Porter

Porter

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Thanks @R35_J , I've removed the reference until we learn more.

R35_J

Reaction score
I'm definitely excited to hear more about this. The thought of revving this engine to 7700rpm sounds absolutely amazing.

OP
Porter

Porter

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Syvecs is expensive but nice plug and play option to 7200 which should be fine since Evora GT/430 went there.
Nice in principle for a million different reasons, but I have many questions about what happens when a US state emissions inspection station plugs into the OBD2 port.

Also, a standalone ECU is a radical departure in running state from a factory tune. Many of us aren't attempting to take on that expense and long term ownership complexity, we just want a factory state of tune that revs higher, with minimal additional considerations. That's a fair thing to want.