• We are conducting our first ever Lotus Emira of the Month for May 2024. This will be a monthly contest and will be submissions from users, voted for by the membership. Please take a moment to check out thread here: ๐Ÿ† May 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Gloss black lower black pack durability?

VL3X

Staff member
Reaction score
Is anyone else concerned about the gloss black used on the various 'black pack' parts being prone to chips and swirls fairy quickly? Typically, sports cars use more rugged black plastic for rear diffusers, front lips, and side skirt lips. I imagine a furute Emira GT will offer these bits in carbon, but until then, how do you think the gloss black will hold up? Does anyone plan to PPF theirs?

I'm also curious about the quality of black paint used.. or is it just a wrap? From what I could tell, the initial Seneca Blue show car appeared to have black vinyl on the roof.

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Based on the way the wheels look in the Chinese video for the Hethel Yellow Emira, I'm guessing they're going to use a gloss black with a durable clear coat over it for the roof. For the lower black pack, if those parts are high strength plastic, then they just have to use a gloss black plastic, so there wouldn't be any issues of paint chips. The only other items are the exhaust tips and lettering on the back. Exhaust tips would be a high heat engine paint, and the lettering would most likely be black plastic too. It would be a lot cheaper and easier to have those plastic items molded in gloss black than go to the expense of painting them, and they'd be more durable that way.

But all that's just a guess.

Lolub

Reaction score
Excellent question. I don't know the answer myself, but now I wonder if these parts are prone to "break" if they're plastic from either bad roads or changes in temperature and wear and tear over time? ๐Ÿค”

OP
VL3X

VL3X

Staff member
Reaction score
Based on the way the wheels look in the Chinese video for the Hethel Yellow Emira, I'm guessing they're going to use a gloss black with a durable clear coat over it for the roof. For the lower black pack, if those parts are high strength plastic, then they just have to use a gloss black plastic, so there wouldn't be any issues of paint chips. The only other items are the exhaust tips and lettering on the back. Exhaust tips would be a high heat engine paint, and the lettering would most likely be black plastic too. It would be a lot cheaper and easier to have those plastic items molded in gloss black than go to the expense of painting them, and they'd be more durable that way.

But all that's just a guess.

Yeah, I just find it interesting that they aren't offering black (or white) as overall paint options, yet a black roof (etc) is offered with the black pack. I guess time will tell, but if the upper black pack is just a vinyl wrap, I'll save some money and get the roof, pillars, and mirrors wrapped myself.

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Black pack roof is gloss black paint/clearcoat rather than vinyl

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Our Christmas starts at noon when my older daughter gets back from work. Just took the Evora out for a blast on empty roads before checking in here.

Have a great day everyone ๐ŸŽ„๐Ÿท๐Ÿฝ๐ŸŽ

Leonard

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
Our Christmas starts at noon when my older daughter gets back from work. Just took the Evora out for a blast on empty roads before checking in here.

Have a great day everyone ๐ŸŽ„๐Ÿท๐Ÿฝ๐ŸŽ
Best bit about Xmas the Xmas drive ๐Ÿ˜‡๐Ÿ˜…

Daz

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Merry Christmas one and all, might be holding out for the base edition ( depending on the prices out next month) so I wonโ€™t be spending next Xmas in my emira but will be the following year ๐Ÿคž๐Ÿผ

Mike-engel

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Excellent question. I don't know the answer myself, but now I wonder if these parts are prone to "break" if they're plastic from either bad roads or changes in temperature and wear and tear over time? ๐Ÿค”
Or speed bumps. Man I dread speed bumps.