FIRST LOOK: New Porsche 911 GT3 RS (992) - 518bhp, £195k and DRS! | Top Gear

Dragoon

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Waiting to order

We all knew it was coming, but here it is, the new 992 generation 911 GT3 RS. It’s packed with racing tech, and probably some actual magic to make the most hardcore, exciting 911 to date. Power comes from a naturally aspirated 4.0-litre flat six producing 518bhp. Porsche says it’ll hit 184mph flat out, with 0-62mph taking just 3.2 seconds. Being an RS, it’s not going to be chunky – thanks to lightweight materials like Carbon Fibre Reinforced Plastic, it weighs just 1,450kgs with fluids. It’s all very impressive, but if you’re going to learn all there is to know about a new Porsche GT car there’s only one man you need to talk to, and that's Andreas Preuninger.

Chapters:
0:00 Intro
00:42 The Numbers
01:41 GT3 RS History
03:10 Front Design Details
05:13 Aero
05:47 Profile Design Details
06:56 Rear Design Details
07:47 Active Rear Wing
08:32 What Is DRS?
08:55 Downforce
09:36 Driving Modes & Adjustments
11:23 Weight
11:42 Interior & Weissach Pack
12:28 Q+A with Andreas Preuninger
33:52 Outro

Evotion

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Just watched the Carfection RS video - great start.

Totally awesome car. Other manufactures must look at this scratching their heads.

I am a complete Italiaphile when it comes to dream cars BUT this new 911 RS is beyond comprehension.

With all that 'crap' on it.... it should be horrid but somehow they have pulled it off and it looks mean, menacing, purposeful and carries great presence. It might even make an Aventador owner shrivel up.

Oh, how I wish I could ring up the dealer and get one for that price - weissach or not.
I have less than no chance, of course, not being a YouTuber or huge Porsche client.

I see this car being a cool £300k when it first hits resale.

VL3X

Staff member
Reaction score
Sometimes I wish the Emira didn't come out and distract me from my GT4 goal. They produce absolutely amazing vehicles and have the racing heritage r&d and track times to back it up. Yes the Emira is a looker, but damn do those P cars fly! And they treat their customers well. I've seen so many GT4 and GT3 orders made and delivered since putting my Emira deposit down. When there's delays, Porsche sends a model car or something else to show their appreciation for the customer who ordered it. When the car is done, the customer is sent photos of it at the final stage of the assembly line. Very cool stuff! If I weren't so stubborn, I would be in a GTS right now. 🙃

Last edited:

dgrace

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
The Emira is a lovely prototype but dammit Porsche sure knows how to build cars. They’re just running circles around Lotus, even after watching a shipload of product settle on the floor of the north Atlantic. Absolute respect for that company.

EspritGuy

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner

We all knew it was coming, but here it is, the new 992 generation 911 GT3 RS. It’s packed with racing tech, and probably some actual magic to make the most hardcore, exciting 911 to date. Power comes from a naturally aspirated 4.0-litre flat six producing 518bhp. Porsche says it’ll hit 184mph flat out, with 0-62mph taking just 3.2 seconds. Being an RS, it’s not going to be chunky – thanks to lightweight materials like Carbon Fibre Reinforced Plastic, it weighs just 1,450kgs with fluids. It’s all very impressive, but if you’re going to learn all there is to know about a new Porsche GT car there’s only one man you need to talk to, and that's Andreas Preuninger.

Chapters:
0:00 Intro
00:42 The Numbers
01:41 GT3 RS History
03:10 Front Design Details
05:13 Aero
05:47 Profile Design Details
06:56 Rear Design Details
07:47 Active Rear Wing
08:32 What Is DRS?
08:55 Downforce
09:36 Driving Modes & Adjustments
11:23 Weight
11:42 Interior & Weissach Pack
12:28 Q+A with Andreas Preuninger
33:52 Outro
And all this time I thought this was a Lotus Emira Forum.
What was the topic again?

digilotus

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
For all those complaining about the Emira not having a frunk, you can now say Porsche copied Lotus with front boomerang aero, angled front main radiator and needed to remove the front storage space to make that work.

So it’s like a Porsche GT3RS for GTS money. ;)

Lotustoronto

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Porsche does very well with its customers. There is a reason they have such high demand. It's Iconic. I appreciate the level of enthusiasm they have for motorsport and the machines they have delivered on in the last few years have been some of their best. (GT Division)

Lotus could certainly learn a few points from them.

On the flip side, Lotus currently has an advantage, the customers that want something different. Porsche is certainly becoming a lot more mainstream these days. People will always want rarer, newer and different, but they still want heritage and a good story goes a long way. They are so close to getting it together, but I am afraid if the marketing and CS continues it won't be enough to pull them into Pantheon of Porsche, Ferrari, Mclaren. (as a brand, not talking performance)

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
Just watched the Carfection video. That thing is insane. The amount of adjustability is almost beyond belief. I liked the interior; especially the dash design and layout. The central round analog style gauge looks really good. Maybe it's just because I'm old school, but I really do prefer round analog style gauges. It's just easier for me to instantly tell what's going on.

This car shows what a huge company with decades of experience at doing this sort of thing can do for $200k. I'm actually surprised it doesn't cost more than that.

rich64

Reaction score
It was great to see the Emira referenced in the video. It is also great to see how Lotus have designed similar aero displacement on the front, needless very much on a budget compared to what this GT3RS would cost. If I could justify the expense, would love to own the RS.

idleuser

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Wow another GT car you can't buy. Porsche should just cut out the scalper and price this accordingly at 250k+

mjw930

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Just watched the Carfection video. That thing is insane. The amount of adjustability is almost beyond belief. I liked the interior; especially the dash design and layout. The central round analog style gauge looks really good. Maybe it's just because I'm old school, but I really do prefer round analog style gauges. It's just easier for me to instantly tell what's going on.

This car shows what a huge company with decades of experience at doing this sort of thing can do for $200k. I'm actually surprised it doesn't cost more than that.
Go ahead an try and buy one for $200K anywhere in the world……. And as a road car it’s silly, AP even hinted as much saying, in no uncertain terms this is strictly a track car you can slap a tag on. In real world driving it jewelry, pure ego trip, look at me and how great I am kind of buyers. As much as I love Porsche I’ll pass on the latest batch of “RS” products.

Yachtie

Emira Fan
Reaction score
The fact that everyone is comparing the Emira to cars 2-3 times the price indicates to me that the Emira should be dam good!! :)
By the way I went into a Porsche showroom having turned up in my Elise, got totally ignored for 20 minutes so walked out. Went into Ferrari next door and they were all over me.

OP
Dragoon

Dragoon

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Waiting to order

hagen111

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Go ahead an try and buy one for $200K anywhere in the world……. And as a road car it’s silly, AP even hinted as much saying, in no uncertain terms this is strictly a track car you can slap a tag on. In real world driving it jewelry, pure ego trip, look at me and how great I am kind of buyers. As much as I love Porsche I’ll pass on the latest batch of “RS” products.
Man...I would still love to own and drive one on the street...the feature for the Autobahn where you use the DRS on the straights and close the wings when a corner approaches is just amazing...would love to try!

kitkat

Emira Degenerate
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
The fact that everyone is comparing the Emira to cars 2-3 times the price indicates to me that the Emira should be dam good!! :)
By the way I went into a Porsche showroom having turned up in my Elise, got totally ignored for 20 minutes so walked out. Went into Ferrari next door and they were all over me.
Who is comparing it to the Emira? The Emira isn’t even in the same ballpark.

kitkat

Emira Degenerate
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Man...I would still love to own and drive one on the street...the feature for the Autobahn where you use the DRS on the straights and close the wings when a corner approaches is just amazing...would love to try!
It would be a damn shame for anyone to buy one of these and just do some freeway pulls lol.