• We are conducting our first ever Lotus Emira of the Month for May 2024. This will be a monthly contest and will be submissions from users, voted for by the membership. Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 May 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

FIRST LOOK: New Porsche 911 GT3 RS (992) - 518bhp, £195k and DRS! | Top Gear

mjw930

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
I don't disagree having one would be great but if you're honest and are really looking for a Porsche track weapon buy a used Cup car. Then it's a real race car and you can get the excitement you're looking for at a fairly reasonable cost.

TRX250EX

Reaction score
It's time to make my dream garage come to reality (Emira + 992 GT3RS + Morgan Plus 4+ Eletre), come on Porsche make it happen, deposit placed 2 years ago for it, however so far chances seems I will say difficult.

Only one car remaining to be confirmed and of course it's the GT3RS.

MickOpalak

Emira Fan
Reaction score
If that rear-engined chassis is so brilliant (an evolution of the original Beetle chassis) why is it that...
Porsche made the 944, 928, & 968 front engined?
Porsche made the 914, Boxster, Cayman, Carrera GT & 918 mid engined?
Porsche has not designed a rear engined car since the 911?
F1 & LMP cars are mid engined and not rear engined?
Ferrari, Lamborghini, Maserati, Alfa Romeo, Mercedes, BMW, Lotus, McLaren, TVR, or anyone else builds a rear engined car?
Even Porsche makes the 911 RSR on a mid engined chassis, admitting that it's superior to the rear engined chassis?

Answer: because its a bad design. The 911 is fast because it is a triumph of development over design.

Last edited:

TRX250EX

Reaction score
If that rear-engined chassis is so brilliant (an evolution of the original Beetle chassis) why is it that...
Ferrari, Lamborghini, Maserati, Alfa Romeo, Mercedes, BMW, Lotus, McLaren, TVR, or anyone else builds a rear engined car?

Answer: because its a bad design. The 911 is fast because it is a triumph of development over design.
Rear engine is just an engine placement now but doesn't tell full story, for example latest car to get into Mid engine is Corvette C8 and it's weight distribution at the back is just 1% different from 911.

The reason C8 did that is to get 0-60 time of under 3s for marketing purposes, that's what made 911s acceleration so crazy also, but C8 now suffering from understeer + uncontrollable oversteer issues....... And here like you said development over time making difference for 911, it's wheelbase much shorter than C8, it's front grip much better, it's oversteer much easier to control, it feels nimble and more agile, the whole chassis work together to counter the weight distribution perfectly.

To make it simple 911 over time despite maintaining same engine placement shifted it's weight distribution to the front making it close to mid engine cars.

Lankan

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Now that certainly is a beast of a GT car! Completely over the top, but my goodness what presence...well done Porsche. (y)

Been a while since a sense of nostalgia crept in after parting with one of their previous motorsport creations I owned, and that was over 7 years ago.

kitkat

Emira Degenerate
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Even Porsche makes the 911 RSR on a mid engined chassis, admitting that it's superior to the rear engined chassis?

In the end, as a buyer, who cares?

kitkat

Emira Degenerate
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
But deep down you do 😊😘

I honestly don't care where the engine is placed so long as the car drives well. Arguing that the car only drives well because it's been developed to do so in spite of the engine placement is pedantic at best.

Truly the stuff of internet keyboard warriors.

Leonard

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
I honestly don't care where the engine is placed so long as the car drives well. Arguing that the car only drives well because it's been developed to do so in spite of the engine placement is pedantic at best.

I thought the message was that development outweighs anything else as long as the drive us good.
Which is what makes Porsche the best at what they do

OP
Dragoon

Dragoon

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Waiting to order
Screen Shot 2022-08-19 at 11.05.28 AM.png

Porsche previews 1972 Carrera RS 2.7-inspired appearance package for 911​

It's being developed exclusively for the U.S.​

Porsche is celebrating 50 years of the 1972 911 Carrera RS 2.7 with an appearance package that brings some of the model's defining styling cues into the modern era. Previewed by a concept unveiled at The Quail, a Motorsport Gathering, the aptly-named Tribute to Carrera RS Package was designed exclusively for the American market and it will be available for a limited time in the not-too-distant future.

While the limited-edition 911 Sport Classic unveiled in 2022 pays a subtle homage to the RS 2.7, the Tribute to Carrera RS Package adds a lot more of the 50-year-old coupe's DNA to the new 911 GT3 RS. It includes a non-metallic shade of white and Python Green accents on the bumpers, above the rocker panels, and on the rear wing. Buyers could order the RS 2.7 in many color combinations, but white and green is one of the liveries that's most often associated with the model. Green and white forged aluminum wheels add a finishing touch to the look.

Porsche also added white accents to the headlights (a feature not currently offered on the list of options), Exclusive Design rear lights, and "RS" logos on both ends of the rear wing. The heritage-inspired design is toned-down in the cabin, where the package bundles green contrast stitching, white inserts in the seatbacks and on the dashboard, green paint on the roll bar, and package-specific door sill plates.

What you see in our gallery isn't necessarily what you'll get when the Tribute to Carrera RS Package goes on sale. "This is a live project in its early stages, and it's being created by enthusiasts for enthusiasts," explained Kjell Gruner, the head of Porsche's North American division. He added that the limited-availability package will be exclusively offered in the United States and that more details will be released soon.

Source

Lankan

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
I'd say it's the opposite of a GT car. It's a pure track car.
What I meant here was specific to Porsche GT (RS), not the Grand Tourer concept from perhaps other manufacturers, and that observation was as a previous owner of their Rennsport (RS) and Clubsport (CS) variants, which were created as track versions by Porsche's motorsport division.

Both RS' were rear-engined and the CS had its engine in the front, with a transaxle gearbox. IMO both configurations were extremely good driver"s cars.

Last edited:

MickOpalak

Emira Fan
Reaction score

Hats off to Porsche for taking a car that was originally based on the Beetle chassis and labeled a "widow maker", known for unpredictable handling and snap oversteer, and turning it into a fine driving machine. But my questions in my original reply still stand. I just wish more people would acknowledge that it's a crappy design that has been developed over almost 60 years to drive well, through all sorts of electronic nannies that keep the car from trying to kill you.

And I have to strongly disagree with the term "keyboard warrior". It indicates someone who is talking from behind a keyboard without any actual experience in what they're talking about. For 29 years I have been driving sports cars, doing HPDEs, autocrosses, mountain drives, instructing others on the track, and even a little racing. I actually do know what makes for a good design and well-driving car and what doesn't.

kitkat

Emira Degenerate
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Hats off to Porsche for taking a car that was originally based on the Beetle chassis and labeled a "widow maker", known for unpredictable handling and snap oversteer, and turning it into a fine driving machine. But my questions in my original reply still stand. I just wish more people would acknowledge that it's a crappy design that has been developed over almost 60 years to drive well, through all sorts of electronic nannies that keep the car from trying to kill you.

And I have to strongly disagree with the term "keyboard warrior". It indicates someone who is talking from behind a keyboard without any actual experience in what they're talking about. For 29 years I have been driving sports cars, doing HPDEs, autocrosses, mountain drives, instructing others on the track, and even a little racing. I actually do know what makes for a good design and well-driving car and what doesn't.
Apologies for offending, I come from a similar background but at 15 years of HPDEs. I’m just caught off guard because where I’m at we focus on driver development instead of disparaging specific platforms — like where the engine is or which wheels are or aren’t driven.

Aerie Performance Lotus Emira Carbon Fiber Parts GregsRaceParts.com

Latest posts