• We are conducting our first ever Lotus Emira of the Month for May 2024. This will be a monthly contest and will be submissions from users, voted for by the membership. Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 May 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Finance rate "under review"

Tonyshepp

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
I think it's going to get tough for car makers. Not buyers.
There needs to be a review and reset by manufacturers on what makes a car attractive to and attainable to buyers.
High inflation will be that catalyst I believe. The majority of people won't be buying new cars over 45k (which is avg Golf R money now) on HP or PCP anymore.
So manufacturers will have to fight for our business again.
Why I think there will be some good lease deals again. It's the simplest way for manufacturers to move expensive cars to customers on limited monthly payments taking the sting out of the RRP before putting them back into the used dealer network at a more affordable price.
agree something has got to give. I see QE is now being reversed so low interest rates won’t be back in the foreseeable future. Not a good time to buy an 80k car with a so so stereo.

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Agreed, but if Lotus had prioritised it's home market where it also had by far the largest number of depositers, people who are financing wouldn't be in this predicament,.
Agreed. Lotus knew how many deposits they had and appear to have made a conscious decision to deprioritise the UK market deliveries. They could have block booked a chunk of finance to lock in rates for the first X months or Y customers.

Leonard

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
Agreed. Lotus knew how many deposits they had and appear to have made a conscious decision to deprioritise the UK market deliveries. They could have block booked a chunk of finance to lock in rates for the first X months or Y customers.
I'm also a little suprised that Geely doesn't yet have its own in house financing considering its size and ambition

OP
Magicman

Magicman

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
The question is will they honour the original rate - 6.9 for early depositors or is the new rate on the site for new customers
100% not, if its still below 10 by the time my car arrives in Feb I'll be surprised, there's no way I'm paying hundreds a month more for an emira than my gt4

vision

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
It will strangle sales and residual values if rates keep rising. I’m guessing most will go pcp to keep costs affordable but there is a point it becomes unaffordable

Markc

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Not by tomorrow I won't, I think I am done with the unknown - off to buy a car I can pick up next week and not wait for ever with extra increases.
You would be better to wait 3 months as stuff is going to depreciate rapidly over the next few months

Twin Cam

Emira Fan
Reaction score
It will strangle sales and residual values if rates keep rising. I’m guessing most will go pcp to keep costs affordable but there is a point it becomes unaffordable
There might be some good second hand deals in a couple of years…….. if you don’t mind waiting for your car!

Markc

Emira Fan
Reaction score
What is the guaranteed future value at 3 yrs with say 5k miles/yr?

Dommo

Emira Fan
Reaction score
At least on the PCP you know worse case what the depreciation is going to be
And you would like to think that's the worst worst case, as Lotus will assume it'll be worth more than that by the end of the PCP