• We are conducting our first ever Lotus Emira of the Month for May 2024. This will be a monthly contest and will be submissions from users, voted for by the membership. Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 May 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Finance rate "under review"

Leonard

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
What's it adjust the monthlies by?
Only another 50 pounds.
I've gone from buying cash to pcp though and in current climate I'm not happy paying a possible £20k in depreciation and interest over 36 months.
The most I've ever lost on a car previously over same period is £6k
Possible may be other funding options so will see

Last edited:

Leonard

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
Ouch so £90 so far since the initial 5.9% then?

Off to buy a BMW
I think it's par for the course everywhere at present. 7.9 is representative. Was hoping Lotus would take the hit though based on delays and goodwill.
An Alpine A110 at 6.9% and 25k cheaper is probably a more sensible bet for me at present.

OP
Magicman

Magicman

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
My quote has gone up another £43 per month with the added 1%, that's with a 20k deposit
What's the actual monthly now please with the 80k plus on the road price at 20k deposit? That's what I was going to put down

Leonard

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
What's the actual monthly now please with the 80k plus on the road price at 20k deposit? That's what I was going to put down
Screenshot_20221101-123655_Chrome.jpg

fatjase

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
It won't be sustainable for the industry as a whole if PCP rates rise above 10% as the cost of cars are such now that most people cannot afford to pay in cash for the car that they want / desire which could be crippling for the industry. Equally lenders aren't going to give their money away for free so some difficult balancing acts will be required. I'll wait and see what the rates are when Lotus tell me the car is coming (Q1 2023 hopefully) and if it's not palatable I'll put my money elsewhere as I'm certainly not paying £10-15k in interest over 3 years with a currently unknown level of depreciation to factor in.

Leonard

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
It won't be sustainable for the industry as a whole if PCP rates rise above 10% as the cost of cars are such now that most people cannot afford to pay in cash for the car that they want / desire which could be crippling for the industry. Equally lenders aren't going to give their money away for free so some difficult balancing acts will be required. I'll wait and see what the rates are when Lotus tell me the car is coming (Q1 2023 hopefully) and if it's not palatable I'll put my money elsewhere as I'm certainly not paying £10-15k in interest over 3 years with a currently unknown level of depreciation to factor in.
Yes I can see a big re-shift begin to happen in the next 6-8 months with car makers having to TRY to get customers into cars again.
Look how much prices have gone up in the past 8 years. A Mk7 Golf used to be £18k, now you are looking at £28k. A VW UP used to be £8k and now they are £14k!
Inflation cannot continue as it is in regards to car RRP, especially in tandem with interest rate rises. Nobody will be buying.
The only positive is that the lease scene may come back 'online' with a glut of cars sitting in fields, compounds and forecourts once again.

Tonyshepp

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Yes I can see a big re-shift begin to happen in the next 6-8 months with car makers having to TRY to get customers into cars again.
Look how much prices have gone up in the past 8 years. A Mk7 Golf used to be £18k, now you are looking at £28k. A VW UP used to be £8k and now they are £14k!
Inflation cannot continue as it is in regards to car RRP, especially in tandem with interest rate rises. Nobody will be buying.
The only positive is that the lease scene may come back 'online' with a glut of cars sitting in fields, compounds and forecourts once again.
Plus there's been no discounting required as cars have been difficult to source.

Ian C

Reaction score
Plus there's been no discounting required as cars have been difficult to source.
Was reading on another thread that manufacturers will continue to restrict supply even after parts issues are sorted. The result has been less discounting and higher prices / more profit for each car. Manufacturers profit margins overall higher with less supply

Leonard

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
Was reading on another thread that manufacturers will continue to restrict supply even after parts issues are sorted. The result has been less discounting and higher prices / more profit for each car. Manufacturers profit margins overall higher with less supply
They say that, but greed/shareholder expectation will kick in again and they will want to take more market share

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
But manufacturers are subject to some eye-watering inflation on components and raw materials at the moment (30%+ on some), plus increasing energy costs and labour rates. Margins aren’t great (unless you’re Porsche), so opportunities to trim margins to maintain prices to consumers are limited. I’d expect most new car prices to increase into next year.

Most manufacturers don’t control the rates of their finance schemes and so are subject to the general increases. It’s going to get tough for car buyers over the next 6-12 months.

BeHappy

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
From my recent demo rides they always try and push the PCP which always say no I’m a cash buyer - response was even so we are recommending all purchases go PCP route as we don’t don’t what crash the car prices are going to sustain on trade in and your guaranteed future value of car 🤣

Mistral

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
But manufacturers are subject to some eye-watering inflation on components and raw materials at the moment (30%+ on some), plus increasing energy costs and labour rates. Margins aren’t great (unless you’re Porsche), so opportunities to trim margins to maintain prices to consumers are limited. I’d expect most new car prices to increase into next year.

Most manufacturers don’t control the rates of their finance schemes and so are subject to the general increases. It’s going to get tough for car buyers over the next 6-12 months.
Agreed, but if Lotus had prioritised it's home market where it also had by far the largest number of depositers, people who are financing wouldn't be in this predicament,.

Leonard

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score

I think it's going to get tough for car makers. Not buyers.
There needs to be a review and reset by manufacturers on what makes a car attractive to and attainable to buyers.
High inflation will be that catalyst I believe. The majority of people won't be buying new cars over 45k (which is avg Golf R money now) on HP or PCP anymore.
So manufacturers will have to fight for our business again.
Why I think there will be some good lease deals again. It's the simplest way for manufacturers to move expensive cars to customers on limited monthly payments taking the sting out of the RRP before putting them back into the used dealer network at a more affordable price.