Factory Tour Thread

NicolasB

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Can someone who's been at Hethel recently give me an opinion on whether I should get the blackpack on my Shadow Grey. I've been on both sides of the fence about 1000 times! :ROFLMAO:
Haven't been, but think black pack is 100% the way to go. Still on the fence of that or Magma...

Citizen

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
ive gone for silver wheels as i have faith in the true colour of nimbus and the wheel colour.
yep me also same order and blocked already , nimbus with silver forged, and yellow calipers

digilotus

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
What are your color specs?
Shadow, red leather, red calipers. Privacy glass. Silver wheels without blackpack. Probably black or diamond cut wheels with black pack. Hmm, decisions decisions! 🤔

digilotus

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Damn, it seems like everyone that’s seen Dark Verdant In person tends to say it’s too dark and somewhat sucks the life out of the car, I wish I would have chosen Nimbus now.
The sun in UAE is much more intense than in Britain. I suspect it will look super classy!

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
Shadow, red leather, red calipers. Privacy glass. Silver wheels without blackpack. Probably black or diamond cut wheels with black pack. Hmm, decisions decisions! 🤔
On a car as dark as Shadow Gray, the upper black pack just doesn't make that much difference. If it was a no-cost option, then maybe, but for the money....not worth it in my opinion, but that's me.

No black pack, silver wheels. If you look at the A pillar next to the sideview mirror, that's the biggest difference between no black pack and black pack.
Screen Shot 2022-04-27 at 7.56.03 AM.png

Black pack, diamond cut
Screen Shot 2022-04-27 at 7.58.20 AM.png

Black pack, gloss black
Screen Shot 2022-04-27 at 8.00.28 AM.png

digilotus

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
On a car as dark as Shadow Gray, the upper black pack just doesn't make that much difference. If it was a no-cost option, then maybe, but for the money....not worth it in my opinion, but that's me.

No black pack, silver wheels. If you look at the A pillar next to the sideview mirror, that's the biggest difference between no black pack and black pack.
View attachment 4817

Black pack, diamond cut
View attachment 4818

Black pack, gloss black
View attachment 4819
Thanks for these renders @Eagle7 !

I suspect in the bright sun down under there will be a lot more contrast. Your shadow grey looks really dark, almost like a starlight or cosmos black compared to many of the photos of the dynamic prototype that I’ve seen.

Pugwash

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Having taken the top picture, I've ordered Magma based on what I saw in front of Lotus Silverstone in direct sun. I'm keeping the faith that is what the red will look like!
I took the other picture at Hethel. I have also ordered Magma. I think you will be very pleased with it.

Bod27

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Damn, it seems like everyone that’s seen Dark Verdant In person tends to say it’s too dark and somewhat sucks the life out of the car, I wish I would have chosen Nimbus now.
I did the tour on Monday, i actually thought it was a black car ! I would imagine in a brighter country or on a sunny day it will be stunning , but any other conditions it will be almost black . I ordered blue which they had parked in front of the new factory building , we where actually there when it was named , along with all the staff and media. we even got some cake !!

PaperLawyer

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Static charged surfaces that attract a dry powder is something that's been around a long time. It gives a smooth even coating all over the object; much more efficient than spraying a wet paint. What you're describing, and fits with what I was reading, is they've somehow incorporated at least 3 layers in a single application. It looks like there's at least a base, a metallic and either the tint is included in that or it's a separate layer, and finally a high gloss clear on the top. Static charging can also affect the metallic particles and dictate how they behave in the layer before the paint is hardened.

In order for these paints to behave as you describe, those 3 layers have to be formulated in such a way as to sit in the proper order on the surface, and hold while being cured in a heat chamber. I can see why this system is so efficient. The surface is acting like a gravity well, and literally pulling the paint particles onto the surface and holding them there. Very uniform, no overspray, very little waste of paint particles.

JUST a bit more sophisticated than paint being sprayed from a paint nozzle.

This will be one way Lotus can distinguish their cars from the competition, by painting them with paints that rival expensive multi-layer custom jobs, but without the extra expense. The paints themselves are probably more expensive than normal, but the savings in labor costs to apply them would more than offset that.

Good stuff.
You have reminded me of the tour guide's description of the paint shop - I'm not sure whether it has been mentioned elsewhere on the forum but it is a rotary bell atomizer, IIRC.

PaperLawyer

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Those who have recently been to Hethel and seen Nimbus with Silver forged wheels please chime in! I'd love to know your thoughts!
Hmmm, I have a feeling that the Nimbus cars we saw parked up at the end of the production line all had gloss black wheels. Read into that what you will....

jamesbxxx

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
You have reminded me of the tour guide's description of the paint shop - I'm not sure whether it has been mentioned elsewhere on the forum but it is a rotary bell atomizer, IIRC.

Same one used on the Porsche production line I believe

roundincircles

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
It is classy and pops in the sun but in shade it disappears......it is rich and lustrous in a dark and shiny way.....just ensure its cleaned every time you park up.

JimH

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Same one used on the Porsche production line I believe