Factory Tour Thread

Climber

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
I thought I might as well start a thread for this as many have been or are going.I went yesterday, there probably not much I saw that others have already said but these were my main takeaways:
  • I enjoyed going!
  • The car still looks amazing 👌
  • Big emphasis on quality control
  • The interior (especially tan leather) looks top notch. I didn't see ice grey.
  • There has been some delay caused by the lockdown in China
  • Definitely not in (or even close to) full production
  • Cars I saw (in production) were for demonstration and dealers
  • Saw all the colours (inside lighting) in various stage of build. Saw blue and red outside.
  • They don't polish the cars so hopefully no swirl marks etc on paint.
  • They will be running 2 shifts from the get go.
  • Couldn't see a car with privacy glass on the rear
  • Colour ratio (guestimates) in the production hall most to least: Nimbus(>5), magma(4), blue(2), yellow(1), verdant(1) and grey(1) this might relate to dealer choice
  • The forged wheels looked good. Lots of space to see the discs and calipers. Black calipers black wheels and magma look like a good combo!
This is SHIT I made my decision based on color samples that a lotus rep send me and now I am shown a dark ugly ass color on a toy car that looks like crap. I wanted a brighter red. I was debating between the Magma red and the nimbus grey. The toy car looks like shit and the McLaren looks amazing…
Again why can’t the build a car in each color and publishes pictures???
This is really stupid, asinine, not logical. How do we communicate our frustrations????

kitkat

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
This is SHIT I made my decision based on color samples that a lotus rep send me and now I am shown a dark ugly ass color on a toy car that looks like crap. I wanted a brighter red. I was debating between the Magma red and the nimbus grey. The toy car looks like shit and the McLaren looks amazing…
This is really stupid, asinine, not logical. How do we communicate our frustrations????

It's incredible that the only colors we truly have as examples to see in lighting are blue, yellow, grey and white. One of which isn't even offered at launch.

digilotus

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I wouldn’t base any decision off the toy car. My comments in my post were tongue in cheek.

It’s obviously not the same paint. Factory magma has a very deep cherry/wine red whereas the model looks a bit brown.

Porter

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
It's incredible that the only colors we truly have as examples to see in lighting are blue, yellow, grey and white. One of which isn't even offered at launch.
And none of those examples were painted with the factory process! They were all one-off, hand-painted cars. The metallic flake effect, in particular, will look a bit different with the automated paint process.

Wizardwings

Emira Fan
Reaction score
As someone who also went with Magma whose configuration is now locked, I too, was/am disturbed to place the order without seeing actual photos. Nevertheless, I think the Magma (even if in a darker hue than the configurator shows) will look mega. The more Ive been looking at pictures of cars, I think darker (but not too dark) reds are stunning - especially those with metallic flake that those who did factory tours are reporting. I'm sure in full sunlight, it will show the body lines with more fluency than something like Rosso Corsa. I'm at peace with my Magma selection but truly understand the frustration that Lotus expects us to lock in an immutable order before seeing actual photos. Check out this Pista https://www.mclarenofgreenwich.com/used-vehicle-2019-ferrari-488-pista-c-5380/#details-9.

PaperLawyer

Emira Fan
Reaction score
I wouldn’t base any decision off the toy car. My comments in my post were tongue in cheek.

It’s obviously not the same paint. Factory magma has a very deep cherry/wine red whereas the model looks a bit brown.
"cherry" was also the word that came to mind when I was on the tour, trying to think how to convey the colour!

Climber

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
I was on the tour this morning and I can confirm that no one will be disappointed with any of the intearior finishes particularly the tan/red/ice grey leather I thought it looked impressive. I never would have considered it before TBH.

I have now seen all the exterior colours in the flesh and as said before you won't be disappointed with whatever colour you decide to go for. My favourites in order.....

Seneca Blue
Magma Red
Nimbus grey
Shadow grey
Hethal yellow
Verdant Green

Type approval will now be next month and the delays to the May/June cars are down to the hold ups in Shanghai. (Lock down) Good news for everyone is that the second shift will start in the next couple of months upping the speed of production worldwide.

The reason why they haven't shown all the colours up until now is due to them not having the finished exterior parts to complete more cars. (Simple as that apparently)

The auto gear box is no different from that on the latest Evora well the hardware anyway this has had a software update for improvement.

I would just like to finish off by saying how amazing this car looks in the flesh when standing next to it, it looks amazing in the pictures we see and on Youtube on video but so much better when you see the car in person.

WHAT A CAR.
I ordered the magma red over the nimbus grey… I want a red not a Burgundy. I know that the nimbus grey is the safe choice but ordered the red because my Porsche is GT silver. Now with the magma red being compared to an ugly ass toy model 1/18 scale.. I am fearing. I made a mistake. I can fly to lotus next month but may not be able to change the build. My deadline for changes was April 20, 2022?
What do you think 🤔???

Climber

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
As someone who also went with Magma whose configuration is now locked, I too, was/am disturbed to place the order without seeing actual photos. Nevertheless, I think the Magma (even if in a darker hue than the configurator shows) will look mega. The more Ive been looking at pictures of cars, I think darker (but not too dark) reds are stunning - especially those with metallic flake that those who did factory tours are reporting. I'm sure in full sunlight, it will show the body lines with more fluency than something like Rosso Corsa. I'm at peace with my Magma selection but truly understand the frustration that Lotus expects us to lock in an immutable order before seeing actual photos. Check out this Pista https://www.mclarenofgreenwich.com/used-vehicle-2019-ferrari-488-pista-c-5380/#details-9.
If it looks like the Ferrari I will be very happy… and thank you for your understanding words… that 1/18 model is shit.. or Caca 💩 in my native lug!

Green

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
I know people keep saying it depends on the lighting and that the color changes. The latest configure site has multiple light choices to choose from. What I do not understand is that not one of the light choices on the configure site match the factory pictures of Magma. It is not even close. Can someone who has seen the car say if Magma matches the factory picture or the configure choices of light? Thank you in advance.

EM33RA

Emira Fan
Reaction score
You don’t mate, you’re an early adopter as with all new car models. That’s why they have given you the option to cancel your order. State of the world accept or buy another car you can see & touch per say.

Last edited:

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
After spending a great deal of time working with these colors on the computer, it's starting to become apparent that these truly are next generation paints. Not only are these cars going to look like nothing else out on the road because of their shape, but these new metallics are going to stand out as something special too. The combination is going to look stellar. These cars are going to look way more expensive than they are.

These new metallics change their color tone and intensity depending on light source and angle, more than I've seen metallics do before. Usually you just see a light bloom when the light hits a metallic, and you can see the flakes. These new ones shift the color tone from light to dark dramatically.

Magma and Nimbus are going to look very rich and high class, while Verdant is going to look mysterious.

Screen Shot 2022-04-26 at 4.44.23 PM.png

5873F743-2EF7-450B-B0C9-A94EBB275D1B.thumb.jpeg.29464140e1836e4238634b3f6c123c80.jpeg

These aren't showy, "look at me" colors like you get on a Lambo for example. These are rich, elegant and classy. As many have said who've seen them, you can't go wrong with any of them. The Emira is going to look epic in any of the FE colors.

SlavaUkraini

Emira Fan
Reaction score
After spending a great deal of time working with these colors on the computer, it's starting to become apparent that these truly are next generation paints. Not only are these cars going to look like nothing else out on the road because of their shape, but these new metallics are going to stand out as something special too. The combination is going to look stellar. These cars are going to look way more expensive than they are.

These new metallics change their color tone and intensity depending on light source and angle, more than I've seen metallics do before. Usually you just see a light bloom when the light hits a metallic, and you can see the flakes. These new ones shift the color tone from light to dark dramatically.

Magma and Nimbus are going to look very rich and high class, while Verdant is going to look mysterious.

View attachment 4798
View attachment 4799

These aren't showy, "look at me" colors like you get on a Lambo for example. These are rich, elegant and classy. As many have said who've seen them, you can't go wrong with any of them. The Emira is going to look epic in any of the FE colors.
“next generation paints” come on man lol

Climber

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Eagle 7, thanks for your comments I do think that your explanation of why it is so had to capture this colors is right. Just like they are focusing on quality paint is a critical component / facet of that process they are striving to improve… agree with you.
Lotus = passionate people
Thanks for all your hard work & intelligence!

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
You don't think they make advancements in paint technology? They most certainly do, just like they make advancements in alloys, plastics, composites, glass, tire compounds, etc.

Today's paints aren't simply yesterday's enamels with different colors.

Green

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
I give up on the guessing game of choosing a color based on lighting. My final build is due the first of May so I‘m going to stick with my first choice of green. If it does not meet expectations I will wrap it and move on. The factory picture of magma just makes it to risky for me. I kind of hope for further delays just so I do not have to look at it sitting in the garage until spring! November delivery in New Hampshire is less than ideal.