Factory Tour Thread

Green

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Sadly to me the diecast does appear to be closer than the configurator. I was hard green then thought it was to dark and switched to Magma. Now I may be back to green.

kitkat

Emira Degenerate
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Sadly to me the diecast does appear to be closer than the configurator. I was hard green then thought it was to dark and switched to Magma. Now I may be back to green.
Factory interior lighting matching the color of a light box isn’t a very good approximation imho. But maybe I’m just coping since I ordered Magma.

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
If the factory uses fluorescent lights, those lights are generally missing most of the warmer colors, reds in particular, while emphasizing the cooler colors, especially blue. This can darken and even shift the perceived color of a paint.

Here are a few examples.

Here you can see the same white wall with a series of lamps with bulbs producing light color from the far left with a color temperature of 2,700k, to the far right with a color temperature of 6,500k. You can see how the perceived color of the wall goes from yellow/orange to and through white, all the way to a distinct bluish tint.

Lighting-Color-Temperature.jpg

Here the same scene shifts in color from sunlight to artificial light at night. Take note of how dramatically the color tone of the sofa shifts; it's even more dramatic than the wall.

Direct-sun-light.jpg

This one is the most dramatic. This is the effect of a fluorescent light, the same type of light that's often used in factories and hanging garage/shop lights, on two rooms that have the exact same paint and paint color. This particular paint is heavily affected by the lighting color.

Same Paint.jpeg

When viewing a paint color (and this is something especially important for painting at home) keep in mind you want to see the sample in the lighting you'll use it in, which most likely will be different than the store's lighting. Get sample cards or chips if you can, and take them into the environment you want to paint so you can see how they look in your light environment. Keep this in mind for anyone that's going to paint their garage for their Emira.

They now have LED lights that are designed to reproduce true and accurate color, and they'll be listed as such. You want to look for a light source with a high CRI (Color Rendering Index), and by high I mean 90+, with 100 being equal to sunlight. Anything below 90 is going to start to noticeably affect the color of an object. Your standard 'cool white' fluorescent lights have a CRI of around 60.

Here's a link to a website that has an excellent comparison tool to see the differences in light color temperature.

They have LED bulbs that have a CRI of 99 which is virtually indistinguishable from sunlight. They also have LED shop lights with a CRI of 95 which would make your car look pretty much like it does outside. If you're going to paint, get lighting first, then choose paint color.

DJS

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
I was on the tour this morning and I can confirm that no one will be disappointed with any of the intearior finishes particularly the tan/red/ice grey leather I thought it looked impressive. I never would have considered it before TBH.

I have now seen all the exterior colours in the flesh and as said before you won't be disappointed with whatever colour you decide to go for. My favourites in order.....

Seneca Blue
Magma Red
Nimbus grey
Shadow grey
Hethal yellow
Verdant Green

Type approval will now be next month and the delays to the May/June cars are down to the hold ups in Shanghai. (Lock down) Good news for everyone is that the second shift will start in the next couple of months upping the speed of production worldwide.

The reason why they haven't shown all the colours up until now is due to them not having the finished exterior parts to complete more cars. (Simple as that apparently)

The auto gear box is no different from that on the latest Evora well the hardware anyway this has had a software update for improvement.

I would just like to finish off by saying how amazing this car looks in the flesh when standing next to it, it looks amazing in the pictures we see and on Youtube on video but so much better when you see the car in person.

WHAT A CAR.

Last edited:

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
I was on the tour this morning and I can confirm that no one will be disappointed with any of the intearior finishes particularly the tan/red/ice grey leather I thought it looked impressive. I never would have considered it before TBH.

I have now seen all the exterior colours in the flesh and as said before you won't be disappointed with whatever colour you decide to go for. My favourites in order.....

Seneca Blue
Magma Red
Nimbus grey
Shadow grey
Hethal yellow
Verdant Green

Type approval will now be next month and the delays to the May/June cars and down to the hold ups in Shanghai. (Lock down) Good news for everyone is that the second shift will start in the next couple of months upping the speed of production worldwide.

The reason why they haven't shown all the colours up until now is due to them not having the finished exterior parts to complete more cars. (Simple as that apparently)

The auto gear box is no different from that on the latest Evora well the hardware anyway this has had a software update for improvement.

I would just like to finish off by saying how amazing this car looks in the flesh when standing next to it, it looks amazing in the pictures we see and on Youtube on video but so much better when you see the car in person.

WHAT A CAR.
Did they have final production seats? How did they look compared to the gray demo car?

SJR202

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Hey @NickR good to meet you yesterday :)
Good overview of the tour you've put there, hope you got back ok!

My 2 pence worth from the tour
- Its well worth going on and Lotus have changed so much since I last went (10 & 18 years ago!) its still small volume but no longer 'making do' with what they have - there is some serious high end tech in the building now.
- Quality is the number 1 focus, any delays in info/colours/deliveries will be down to making sure quality is 100% (as well as supply chain challenges caused by China/Covid)
- Colours - I think the configurator is a very good likeness but just a shade too light compared to what I saw. e.g. I think DV Green is darker than the configurator (in the building / artificial lights) almost black unless you have light reflecting off it (but I like it a lot). Magma, head turner, best metallic dark red I've seen and sets off the black trim nicely almost tempted to change to it. Nimbus, still happy I chose it and more complex as said before than the configurator, kind of a mix of the McLaren above and Lotus Elise Titanium. (IMHO). Yellow - what is says on the tin but nice with black features. Blue - we've all seen that one now. Grey, I can see why some thought it was a blue, there is a blue tinge to it and its actually a lovely colour and the biggest surprise.
- Forged wheels, gorgeous. Silver is pretty standard alloy wheel silver but looks great on all colours. Black = gloss. Diamond cut as per show car, nice.
- Interior quality looks top notch. Saw a door card close up with KEF grill, tan leather and the stitching was perfect, material quality at least Porsche level, all panels and trim look perfect.
- Tan as mentioned, it looks great, sad not to see Ice as I have that configured, but tan is tempting me as it was installed in Nimbus and looks amazing. Dealer samples are a good colour representation .
- Engine has a new Supercharger compared to Evora and has to meet 'todays' and global emissions which is why 400bhp is the figure for now, increased power = increased emissions which would cause tax issues in many export countries. But expect higher output engines in the future and specials once production and average Co2 is up and running etc.
- Gearbox, lots of work gone into improving the feel and quality of change (even though it starts life as a Avensis Diesel box!) they've reengineered and remade certain components which result in tactile element.
- Huge chassis rigidity and strength enables more compliant dampers and ride quality
- hydraulic power steering powered by electric pump (i think!) maintains feel especially straight line. Hydraulic steering uses 2bhp and associated CO2 hence cars moving to it as well as multiple other items
- Nothing leaves the factory without passing 5 Quality check stations including a new 'rattle' track, any rattle/squeak or noise on cobbles etc gets taken back inside to fix. Panel gaps are laser measures in some multi million pound machine and tolerance less than the width of tin foil (you put your sandwiches in).
- Saw lots of AP Racing boxes full of brake components.
- AMG i4 seems to be a highly modern and tech laden engine, cutting edge (though very little info provided besides how it works)

Think that is all I can remember...

All in all, as much as I'd love the Emira soon, Im more than happy to wait for when its ready, it does look really special. Lotus are taking great pride in their new car (and it 'might' not be the last ICE they make... though will be the final production car).

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
- Engine has a new Supercharger compared to Evora and has to meet 'todays' and global emissions which is why 400bhp is the figure for now, increased power = increased emissions which would cause tax issues in many export countries. But expect higher output engines in the future and specials once production and average Co2 is up and running etc.
This is interesting. Once they get the Eletre and other electric cars in production, that will help their fleet average for emissions. I wonder if they'll be able to then increase the power output of the current V6 with a software update to the ECU? That would certainly make the people who want more power happy!

These reports are starting to make it evident that the Emira is a whole new level Lotus. Great news about the quality of the interior.

Reactions: xen

Daz

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Hey @NickR good to meet you yesterday :)
Good overview of the tour you've put there, hope you got back ok!

My 2 pence worth from the tour
- Its well worth going on and Lotus have changed so much since I last went (10 & 18 years ago!) its still small volume but no longer 'making do' with what they have - there is some serious high end tech in the building now.
- Quality is the number 1 focus, any delays in info/colours/deliveries will be down to making sure quality is 100% (as well as supply chain challenges caused by China/Covid)
- Colours - I think the configurator is a very good likeness but just a shade too light compared to what I saw. e.g. I think DV Green is darker than the configurator (in the building / artificial lights) almost black unless you have light reflecting off it (but I like it a lot). Magma, head turner, best metallic dark red I've seen and sets off the black trim nicely almost tempted to change to it. Nimbus, still happy I chose it and more complex as said before than the configurator, kind of a mix of the McLaren above and Lotus Elise Titanium. (IMHO). Yellow - what is says on the tin but nice with black features. Blue - we've all seen that one now. Grey, I can see why some thought it was a blue, there is a blue tinge to it and its actually a lovely colour and the biggest surprise.
- Forged wheels, gorgeous. Silver is pretty standard alloy wheel silver but looks great on all colours. Black = gloss. Diamond cut as per show car, nice.
- Interior quality looks top notch. Saw a door card close up with KEF grill, tan leather and the stitching was perfect, material quality at least Porsche level, all panels and trim look perfect.
- Tan as mentioned, it looks great, sad not to see Ice as I have that configured, but tan is tempting me as it was installed in Nimbus and looks amazing. Dealer samples are a good colour representation .
- Gearbox, lots of work gone into improving the feel and quality of change (even though it starts life as a Avensis Diesel box!) they've reengineered and remade certain components which result in tactile element.
- Huge chassis rigidity and strength enables more compliant dampers and ride quality
- hydraulic power steering powered by electric pump (i think!) maintains feel especially straight line. Hydraulic steering uses 2bhp and associated CO2 hence cars moving to it as well as multiple other items
- Nothing leaves the factory without passing 5 Quality check stations including a new 'rattle' track, any rattle/squeak or noise on cobbles etc gets taken back inside to fix. Panel gaps are laser measures in some multi million pound machine and tolerance less than the width of tin foil (you put your sandwiches in).
- Saw lots of AP Racing boxes full of brake components.
- AMG i4 seems to be a highly modern and tech laden engine, cutting edge (though very little info provided besides how it works)

Think that is all I can remember...

All in all, as much as I'd love the Emira soon, Im more than happy to wait for when its ready, it does look really special. Lotus are taking great pride in their new car (and it 'might' not be the last ICE they make... though will be the final production car).
Great write-up and thanks. I’m going magma with tan interior, I’ve changed my mind on magma more times than I’ve changed my underwear over the last 6 months but I think I’m decided now. But to be 100% I think I’m going to go on the tour before parting with my ‘hard earned’

VL3X

Staff member
Reaction score
Engine has a new Supercharger compared to Evora and has to meet 'todays' and global emissions which is why 400bhp is the figure for now

Lotus said they're using the Edlebrock 1740 supercharger in the Emira... Is this not the same as the one used on the Evoras?

The Emira GT4 utilizes a Harrop TVS 1900 supercharger.

Green

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Great write-up and thanks. I’m going magma with tan interior, I’ve changed my mind on magma more times than I’ve changed my underwear over the last 6 months but I think I’m decided now. But to be 100% I think I’m going to go on the tour before parting with my ‘hard earned’
Detailed explanation, but everyone who has done factory tour is saying burgundy which aligns with factory pictures and die cast. I will go with people that have seen Magma at the factory.

PaperLawyer

Emira Fan
Reaction score
I’m sure this is a hard question to answer because everyone has a different idea of good looking tan, but I share the same concern as you and will be paying particularly close attention to this on a tour tomorrow.

For me, the best tan interiors are darker, more saddle-like brown. I am not a fan of orangey or even creamy tan leathers. I want espresso, not latte and certainly not pumpkin spice.
We're of the same mindset, hence I was a little disappointed with what I saw, whereas others on the tour were more than happy with the tan interior. I was keen on the idea of a magma (or nimbus) with tan interior but, following the tour, I'm minded to go for alcantara with red stitching.

PaperLawyer

Emira Fan
Reaction score
I really hope that isn’t the case — I’d cancel my order over that.
I get this, too - whilst it is perhaps as dark as the model in poor lighting, the paint is more sophisticated and has much greater depth, to my eyes on the tour.

Pugwash

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
when I did the tour it confirmed Magma is the colour for me. I did not see alcantara with red stitch (which I have chosen) but did see one with white stitch which I had a good look at. I think alcantara will work well with Magma. But most others probably will too!

SJR202

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Good shout Daz, the tour is great for a day out and the info we got was really interesting and insightful not just as a deposit holder. I'd like to go back in a few months when full prod is up and running think that would be very interesting to see it in full flow.
Magma I saw drive past outside (overcast) and my mate and I both went, whoa, that is nice (and it wasnt clean) - inside all shiny I thought looked great. Its now my 2nd choice, more because I cant be arsed to re do the configuration ;-)
I like the Mazda/Hyundai/Ford metallic red of a similar shade but this is much richer.

Reactions: Daz

DPB

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Huge thanks to all of you who have gone on the factory tour for sharing your thoughts and impressions. It is a great help to those of us still wringing our hands waiting for every scrap of information we can get. The common themes are clear: single-minded focus on quality, a car that looks even better in person than in pictures and rich colors that are all striking, with opinion/choice largely influenced simply by personal color preferences.

Damn, I can't wait to see this car in the flesh.