❔ QUESTION Factory Tour 12th May

Reaction score
Afternoon All,

I’ve got a factory tour booked on the 12th May; happy to ask any questions you might have?

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
Difference - Lotus just let some of their upholstery folks go…

#ForTheUpholsterers
Where did you see that? In the "A New Dawn" video, it showed how the people that were in that department were able to transfer to different departments and learn new job tasks so they could stay with Lotus and not lose their jobs.

TXEMIRA

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Where did you see that? In the "A New Dawn" video, it showed how the people that were in that department were able to transfer to different departments and learn new job tasks so they could stay with Lotus and not lose their jobs.
Right. They have talented folks who can help. Main thing - why not make it happen? Why not make us happy?

#ForTheHappiness

Pegasi

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Also can they PLEASE not pre-drill front license plate bracket holes for US cars!!!

Forgive me if I have responded to you before about this. My understanding is that dealers in states that require a front plate by law have to mount it before you can take delivery.

Balboa

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Forgive me if I have responded to you before about this. My understanding is that dealers in states that require a front plate by law have to mount it before you can take delivery.
I live in California. I have a Jaguar a Range Rover and a Genesis. None have front plates. Asked the deslerships to leave them off and they have. If iget pulled over i coukd get a Fix it Ticket making me install the front plate and drive in to a station to verify installation (This happened to me years ago w my Viper). But shortly thereafter the front plate came off again! Catch me if you can...(Jag and RR ive driven since 2015. Passed many police and havent been stopped yet. Hope i dont jinx myself)

Cachaco131

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Emira Status
Waiting to order
I live in California. I have a Jaguar a Range Rover and a Genesis. None have front plates. Asked the deslerships to leave them off and they have. If iget pulled over i coukd get a Fix it Ticket making me install the front plate and drive in to a station to verify installation (This happened to me years ago w my Viper). But shortly thereafter the front plate came off again! Catch me if you can...(Jag and RR ive driven since 2015. Passed many police and havent been stopped yet. Hope i dont jinx myself)
Have never been pulled over in CA for lack of front plate. Cops are busy on more important stuff like speeding Porsches 😀

Dealers even ask you first before drilling. And I have used dual lock from 3M successfully when needed.

PaulP

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Nope there are alternatives to standard bracket. Just tell them you’ll be getting a custom mount like a tow point plate.

DaveH

Reaction score
Can you ask how confident they are on the new delivery dates, is the one month delay accurate?
Enjoyed a brilliant factory tour yesterday thanks to Nick who answered all my questions at least, if not yours.
Apart from confirmation that my FE red more than matches expectations, my main takeaway concerning delays in production is that before blaming the company you should consider giving them the sympathy they deserve.
Despite the backing of Geely, the frustrations of having ZERO influence in Chinese Communist Party politics must be so galling when they know that they could be producing a car every 17 minutes or so! If I lived in one of those hateful high tower blocks in Shanghai right now I too would be one of those wailing into the night for anyone who cared to listen! i.e. no one - except for others in the same situation! Hang in there folks. The wait will be worth it.

digilotus

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Enjoyed a brilliant factory tour yesterday thanks to Nick who answered all my questions at least, if not yours.
Apart from confirmation that my FE red more than matches expectations, my main takeaway concerning delays in production is that before blaming the company you should consider giving them the sympathy they deserve.
Despite the backing of Geely, the frustrations of having ZERO influence in Chinese Communist Party politics must be so galling when they know that they could be producing a car every 17 minutes or so! If I lived in one of those hateful high tower blocks in Shanghai right now I too would be one of those wailing into the night for anyone who cared to listen! i.e. no one - except for others in the same situation! Hang in there folks. The wait will be worth it.
What were the key highlights for you and were there any surprises (good or bad)?

DaveH

Reaction score
What were the key highlights for you and were there any surprises (good or bad)?
Once the euphoria of seeing my choice of Magma in the flesh for the first time near the start of the tour had died down the rest of the day was simply taking in what a state-of-the-art manufacturing process really means these days and how reliant it is on everything coming together at the right time. It was really good to see the bits of the car that you might never in your lifetime get the change to see seprately such as the 3 subframes at various stages in the build process. The strength of the glue used to put it all together leaves no doubt of its capability which was very reassuring. Of couse, not being permitted to take photos made those images more enduring.
It was disappointing to not be able to actually sit in a car, even in a pre-production one of course. For me this is the only way to get a real impression of what driving one might be like, because from the outside the car looked a lot wider than I'd imagined. However, we don't get many of those high-hedged, winding Devon-type roads where I come from! Don't know about you but I'm more interested in what a seat feels like than what it looks like. If I actually need a yellow mark round the top of my steering wheel I'd stick a bit of tape round it and then if I liked it maybe I could paint one on! (No, I wouldn't).
I was glad to have chosen black instead of the grey seat colour, in particular with reference to the comment that wearing Jeans is not advisable. Especially new ones I would say because of colour leaching out of them!
It was a bit dissapointing to find that the front 'luggage' area is only meant for servicing aspects and there's no pull handle to even get access to it. In any car with limited storage every little helps! Another little surprise was that most cars will have LHD.
If you're procrastinating over the cost of the tour, for anyone investing in such a car I think it was a worthwhile investment and one that will leave a lasting impression long after you part it. Many thanks to the professionalism in the way it was conducted.

DaaS

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Question…

If you remove the alcantara from the steering wheel, what do you see? Is it plastic? Is it leather?

eclat2emira

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Once the euphoria of seeing my choice of Magma in the flesh for the first time near the start of the tour had died down the rest of the day was simply taking in what a state-of-the-art manufacturing process really means these days and how reliant it is on everything coming together at the right time. It was really good to see the bits of the car that you might never in your lifetime get the change to see seprately such as the 3 subframes at various stages in the build process. The strength of the glue used to put it all together leaves no doubt of its capability which was very reassuring. Of couse, not being permitted to take photos made those images more enduring.
It was disappointing to not be able to actually sit in a car, even in a pre-production one of course. For me this is the only way to get a real impression of what driving one might be like, because from the outside the car looked a lot wider than I'd imagined. However, we don't get many of those high-hedged, winding Devon-type roads where I come from! Don't know about you but I'm more interested in what a seat feels like than what it looks like. If I actually need a yellow mark round the top of my steering wheel I'd stick a bit of tape round it and then if I liked it maybe I could paint one on! (No, I wouldn't).
I was glad to have chosen black instead of the grey seat colour, in particular with reference to the comment that wearing Jeans is not advisable. Especially new ones I would say because of colour leaching out of them!
It was a bit dissapointing to find that the front 'luggage' area is only meant for servicing aspects and there's no pull handle to even get access to it. In any car with limited storage every little helps! Another little surprise was that most cars will have LHD.
If you're procrastinating over the cost of the tour, for anyone investing in such a car I think it was a worthwhile investment and one that will leave a lasting impression long after you part it. Many thanks to the professionalism in the way it was conducted.
Good review - thanks for sharing! We have oyster leather in our discovery 5, I've noticed a little marking but nothing significant FWIW.

Matthaus

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Can you ask if the i4 FE will have blind spot monitoring? Not too fussed about other ADAS bits

Also can you ask if there is a dude who can supply the 400BHP China map for £20 and a Mars bar

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
After the tan seats in the safety car we've recently seen, did you see any seats there that looked more recent? What were your impressions of the seats you saw?

Crown

Reaction score
Wait!!! Wut!!

October for an i4, that's amazing, I thought the earliest i4's were Nov build fro Dec delivery. When did you place he original deposit?
I placed deposit the night of the reveal back last summer .
I had an email weeks back to say I will take delivery late October early November.
Also telling me I have until 31st May to finalise my order .
Second deposit paid .
I was on the factory tour last week . I went thinking yellow, came away thinking blue.
Now looking back at my pictures of the few that were outside the factory I’m thinking dark verdant!!
Factory tour was well worth it !

EmiraMike

Emira Fan
Reaction score
After the tan seats in the safety car we've recently seen, did you see any seats there that looked more recent? What were your impressions of the seats you saw?
The seats I saw at the factory last week were of much better quality compared to the photos of the saggy safety car’s seats. I had a close look at the tan, red & grey leather and the alcantara, which all looked really good despite being pre-production so I’m feeling as happy & confident as I can be at this point.