Everyday Driver Review - Emira/Cayman GTS/C8

Climber

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
The best review that I have seen to date!
Interesting all North American reviews have rated the Emira better than other countries. We must be looking through a different perspective.
All understand that lotus is different, special and unique and not for everyone, a last hurrah for driving!

idleuser

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Did base price accidentally get leaked? I wonder if that's what the Lotus spokesman told them.

1686888338910.png

CanadianEmira

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Best comment about the Emira: "I kind of wish I had a bottomless gas tank, and a road that never ended."

High praise.

KCMO68_510

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I keep trying to talk myself into Dark Verdant, because my mind would normally order a Lotus in green. I think this video where they basically say that it's too black and just pick another color helped make moving on from green easier. (unless by the time I lock in decisions bespoke colors are allowed, and then a more normal green becomes interesting).

Lotus64

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I agree that the cayman isn't that special. The Emira will go down in history as one of the greatest cars of all time. A rare instant classic.

Pegasi

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
My understanding has always been you must win at something.

C8- Power, Speed, Price
Emira- Fun Factor, Looks, Steering/Handling
Porsche- Owner Experience, Capable, Quality

Now you just take your pick in what you need in a sports car.

KCMO68_510

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I agree that the cayman isn't that special. The Emira will go down in history as one of the greatest cars of all time. A rare instant classic.
I don't think that's completely fair. The Cayman has been THE mid-engine car for the non-super wealthy for 20 years. I think the issue is that the Cayman formula has been mostly the same for 20 years. So we've grown accustom to it. It's still as great and special as it ever was... it's just not new and we are starting to take it for granted.

The Emira is also special AND it's new. It now gives everyone who would have "married" a Cayman the "20-year itch" for something new.

Both are great. Everyone would understand if you stayed with your Cayman. Your honest friends also understand why you keep staring over at the Emira.

JClem

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I keep trying to talk myself into Dark Verdant, because my mind would normally order a Lotus in green. I think this video where they basically say that it's too black and just pick another color helped make moving on from green easier. (unless by the time I lock in decisions bespoke colors are allowed, and then a more normal green becomes interesting).
Definitely on board with this. Initially I was all in for DV and tan but the pictures I've seen and comments I've read made me waver. This might be the nail in the coffin!

Seneca Blue or Magma Red it is then!

Lotus64

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
My understanding has always been you must win at something.

C8- Power, Speed, Price
Emira- Fun Factor, Looks, Steering/Handling
Porsche- Owner Experience, Capable, Quality

Now you just take your pick in what you need in a sports car.

It's a sports car. Fun / dynamics are the main draw....

It's still as great and special as it ever was... it's just not new and we are starting to take it for granted.

The Emira is also special AND it's new. It now gives everyone who would have "married" a Cayman the "20-year itch" for something new.

The Emira is a bit more special than the cayman. More dramatic looks and driving engagement. I respect the cayman, but it's out of its element against the Emira, barring the GT versions which are still less engaging.

Maurice R

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
I have both a 2015 Cayman GTS and Evora GT. I’m being asked all the time which is better.
Answer whichever one I'm driving.
Two very different cars both engaging and great fun to drive.
When the Emira eventually / hopefully arrives think my answer will be the same.

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Keep in mind that cameras aren't as good at negotiating brightness and dark colors as your eye is. Your eyes should see more of the green, although in the still-shot thumbnail image for the video, I think the DV looks quite good. It gives the car an exotic, premium look.

This was a REALLY good overall comparison. I especially appreciate that they talked about the cars in a normal voice, without any fake excitement or speaking with overly dramatic exaggeration. It was also nice that they weren't trying to be Jeremy Clarkson or Chris Harris and be witty all the time.

I thought the Emira looked and sounded the best. I was surprised at how the Porsche came across as rather sedate and somewhat ordinary. Is it possible for a car to be so well engineered and so good it's actually somewhat boring? That's the way I felt when watching and listening to the Porsche. The C8 is as they and many others have said, the best overall bang for the buck, but I just don't feel any emotion when I look at it or listen to it. It's nice that they made it, but I don't want one.

When I add up all the things as they did, for me the Emira checks the most boxes.

KCMO68_510

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Keep in mind that cameras aren't as good at negotiating brightness and dark colors as your eye is. Your eyes should see more of the green, although in the still-shot thumbnail image for the video, I think the DV looks quite good. It gives the car an exotic, premium look.
I get what you are saying, but I was already super on the fence after playing with the paint sample at the dealership. A lot of angles looked pitch black when playing with it in the light. This is also the second video to kind of make the same comment about DV. And the people making those comments are making them after being with the car for some time. So they've experienced it in person. Some will love it. I just wish that instead of 4 greys we could have gotten a 2nd green more in line with what I think most think of as a British green.