• We are conducting our first ever Lotus Emira of the Month for May 2024. This will be a monthly contest and will be submissions from users, voted for by the membership. Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 May 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Eventuri development

brainf18

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
@GRP what are the odds of a group buy on this?
Universal automotive truth..."modified cars rarely get better." While there are a few modifications that do provide some tangible improvement, my question for an expensive carbon intake is why bother?

A K&N drop in filter that replaces the crappy OEM paper filter will give you 95% of the benefits for 5% of the costs. Plus it keeps the engine bay stock. But to each their own I suppose...

Davebeats

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Universal automotive truth..."modified cars rarely get better." While there are a few modifications that do provide some tangible improvement, my question for an expensive carbon intake is why bother?

A K&N drop in filter that replaces the crappy OEM paper filter will give you 95% of the benefits for 5% of the costs. Plus it keeps the engine bay stock. But to each their own I suppose...
Would be interesting to see back to back dynos of both

brainf18

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
As a prospective buyer I'd be interested in participating to fund this Dyno. Stock, K&N, Eventuri. Let's see what they actually do.
It'd need to be an independent third party conducting the dyno. Parts manufacturer's data is suspect b/c of obvious business conflicts.

Last edited:

Time2Fly

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
@brainf18 absolutely. But what would three runs cost? Obviously they'd cost a K&N filter and a Eventuri setup, but beyond that?

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner

K&N's have their issues, they're not the best at filtering, and Lotus includes the filter as a potential reason to void the warranty. Usually it's the oiled ones where people don't know how to oil the filters properly, and oil winds up getting on the MAF sensor which screws up the performance of the engine.

The benefit of the Eventuri isn't just that it's carbon fiber, it's the design and the way it smooths out the airflow, eliminating turbulence. It's essentially doing for the intake, what long tube headers do for exhaust, which is something that just replacing the stock paper filter with a K&N isn't going to do.

brainf18

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
K&N's have their issues, they're not the best at filtering, and Lotus includes the filter as a potential reason to void the warranty. Usually it's the oiled ones where people don't know how to oil the filters properly, and oil winds up getting on the MAF sensor which screws up the performance of the engine.

The benefit of the Eventuri isn't just that it's carbon fiber, it's the design and the way it smooths out the airflow, eliminating turbulence. It's essentially doing for the intake, what long tube headers do for exhaust, which is something that just replacing the stock paper filter with a K&N isn't going to do.
I'm going to have to respectfully disagree. Out of the box K&N filters flow more than paper and they are oiled correctly from the factory to not interfere with MAF's as evidenced by literally millions of them being sold and used in a variety of high-end cars.

If lotus does in fact list an air filter replacement as reason to void the warranty that's news. Can you please show where your getting that information and cite the source.

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I'm going to have to respectfully disagree. Out of the box K&N filters flow more than paper and they are oiled correctly from the factory to not interfere with MAF's as evidenced by literally millions of them being sold and used in a variety of high-end cars.

If lotus does in fact list an air filter replacement as reason to void the warranty that's news. Can you please show where your getting that information and cite the source.
K&N flow more than paper because they're more porous which means they don't do as thorough a job filtering out things. Today's engines are built (and perform) to much higher standards than engines used to. The problem comes after the customer cleans and re-oils them. They typically use too much oil.

Technical Service Bulletin from Lotus

Attachments

• ---TSB_2020_01_USA_Unauthorised_Modification_Warranty_Implications_.pdf
    7 MB · Views: 35

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Here's an interesting video testing different brands of air filters including K&N.

Time2Fly

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
I would certainly think so, but in talking to Greg today he is confident in the track record of Eventuri and their development success.

I orderd the kit, but will wait until GRP installs one on their project car for the mere purpose of a good installation write up.
@BobbyG if you've ordered one would you be willing to do an A/B Dyno if we help defray that expense?

BobbyG

Reaction score
@BobbyG if you've ordered one would you be willing to do an A/B Dyno if we help defray that expense?
Happy to help out, but my concern is that I’m really not sure when the installation of the Eventuri system will take place.

Greg @GRP might be able to get the dyno done easier and faster than me as he will be installing the Eventuri on the shop’s project car.

kitkat

Emira Degenerate
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order

Eagle already provided the tsb, but furthermore ISO5011 tests on the K&N vs paper filters shows a pretty striking disparity of filtering efficiency. Are a couple of hp really worth all that particulate making it into your engine’s combustion cycle?

Last edited:

John777

Emira Fan
Reaction score

Exactly 💯

FlyNavy01

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Surprised to hear people recommend K&N on here. I thought it was well known among higher end car enthusiasts to avoid auto parts store brands like that, K&N being the most common example.

I have to disagree that "modified cars rarely get better". Almost every car I've owned has gotten faster on the track, lighter, more comfortable, or sounded better with select modifications. I'd say that's objectively better in most cases. OEM's have to cater to a wide audience, so every engineering decision is a compromise between cost, quality, manufacturing, suppliers, etc. If a certain area isn't up to the standards of a certain customer, they have the option to improve on it in the aftermarket.

Of course many modifications you see on the street are absolute nonsense, so I can see how some can come to that conclusion. However, if you know what you're doing to some degree you can absolutely make your car ownership experience better and more enjoyable.

brainf18

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Surprised to hear people recommend K&N on here. I thought it was well known among higher end car enthusiasts to avoid auto parts store brands like that, K&N being the most common example.

I have to disagree that "modified cars rarely get better". Almost every car I've owned has gotten faster on the track, lighter, more comfortable, or sounded better with select modifications. I'd say that's objectively better in most cases. OEM's have to cater to a wide audience, so every engineering decision is a compromise between cost, quality, manufacturing, suppliers, etc. If a certain area isn't up to the standards of a certain customer, they have the option to improve on it in the aftermarket.

Of course many modifications you see on the street are absolute nonsense, so I can see how some can come to that conclusion. However, if you know what you're doing to some degree you can absolutely make your car ownership experience better and more enjoyable.
Modifications for track usage certainly have value. But for street use only, typically its money down the drain.

Porter

tap tap... is this thing on?
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Modifications for track usage certainly have value. But for street use only, typically its money down the drain.
I think the issue is that many modified cars historically were performed by non-expert enthusiasts in an attempt to make their street cars do things they weren't fundamentally designed for.

If approached sensibly, with an aim to accentuating the things a car already does well, modification of a street car can have very good results. But it's certainly not a universal outcome. Whole lotta hack jobs out there.