• The June 2024 Lotus Emira of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 June 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Eventuri development

What I would like to know, is how much HP is produced by just replacing the air filter with a better filter(GRP on for example) compared to replacing the whole box. Ie. Is most of the extra HP due to the filter upgrade, or is the box the main culprit.
That’s what I been saying. JUBU didn’t redesign the Intake box just the filter as that’s the only thing holding it back, so my guess is that the filter is the key factor in all these performance gains.

Ideally it would be a speed shop that has a dyno and a YouTube channel.
Yeah we need stock dyno, high flow filter dyno, Eventuri dyno and Aerie dyno. (Same day preferred) Then maybe dragy data with each set up too. That would cost some money, time and lots of energy lol

The only way to know would be to do a dyno run with the stock filter, then swap it out with something like the @GRP for example, then do another dyno run. Where I am, it's $200 for 3 pulls on a dyno to get an average, so that would be a $400 test. Maybe GRP would like to do this and post the charts?
This may be something we can do a bit of a intake shootout with.
Stock, Drop in filter, Eventuri and our in house intake kit (coming soon)

That would be a pretty invaluable community service.

I hear the sound of sales beginning to brew.... If you do this shootout, and the Eventuri delivers on it's promised performance and I decide to get one, I'll buy it from you.

Looking forward to see your new kit Greg.
Custom couplers are being made now, once we get those in a couple weeks we will be doing some thorough on road testing with it. Then we can also do some dyno runs as well.

Also- Eventuri kits just landed in the US and will be shipping out early next week for those waiting on them,

Unless it's paired with a tune, I'm expecting the major difference to be sound. Which honestly, I love loud intake sound vs. exhaust sound.

The Emira is already designed with aero in mind. I can't imagine that they designed an intake system that doesn't have a native ram air design as is.

Unless it's paired with a tune, I'm expecting the major difference to be sound. Which honestly, I love loud intake sound vs. exhaust sound.

The Emira is already designed with aero in mind. I can't imagine that they designed an intake system that doesn't have a native ram air design as is.
You generally don't need a tune unless it's paired with an exhaust like short or long tube headers.

If you look at the factory intake, like every modern intake box, it's a box with a big flat, thick air filter element.

(These snaps are from the Eventuri installation guide)
Screenshot 2024-05-30 at 7.25.03 AM.png

There's no focusing or shaping of airflow; it's just capacity for the most part. Air coming in from the outside just bunches up in front of that filter element. Notice the shape; that's the shape of the 'room' the air is coming into. Air does not like to change direction, in any direction. It loses its velocity rapidly.

Look at what the air is doing inside the factory box after it makes it through the filter. It has to go from that odd square shaped space with one corner lopped off, into one corner of the 'room' where it's squeezed into a tubular exit. There's nothing about this design that says airflow speed; it's just a capacity system.

Screenshot 2024-05-30 at 7.24.54 AM.png

Now look at what the air has to do once it's forced into that tubular exit out of the air filter box. It goes into a ribbed tunnel that is S shaped and climbs upward before leveling off to go into the supercharger. The S shape slows it down, the ribs in that tube slow it down, and all while the air is having to change direction multiple times.
Screenshot 2024-05-30 at 7.25.32 AM.png

You can really see the journey the air has to take here with the flex tube out of the way.

Screenshot 2024-05-30 at 7.25.24 AM.png

It seems that for most OEM factory designers, their main goal is to make a system that fits within the engine compartment, and provides as much air capacity as space allows, WITHOUT too much concern as to path and speed of airflow. Air always slams into a big, thick paper air filter element which slows it down, then gets pulled by engine vacuum through the filter into the intake manifold.

When you study what the Eventuri is doing, there's a lot of focus on shaping airflow as well as providing capacity. Airflow is continuously moving through a tubular shaped system, with a tubular cone-shaped filter that actively directs shape and flow of air through it into a tubular connecting tube that does NOT have ridges inside it that would interfere with airflow and cause turbulence.

It's just simply allowing more air to flow faster into the intake manifold, which explains the increase in torque and power immediately and consistently all the way up the rpm band that shows on their dyno graph.

I'm REALLY looking forward to GRP's test between factory, and both filter and intake mods.

@Eagle7 Nice write up!

Even if the system is not optimized for velocity, I wonder if it matters. The system will always be full of enough air, particular when the car is in motion. So even if velocity were improved, I'm guessing the rate limiter on more air = more combustion to be capacity and not velocity. Maybe increased velocity will improve responsiveness?

I look forward to the results as well!

@Eagle7 Nice write up!

Even if the system is not optimized for velocity, I wonder if it matters. The system will always be full of enough air, particular when the car is in motion. So even if velocity were improved, I'm guessing the rate limiter on more air = more combustion to be capacity and not velocity. Maybe increased velocity will improve responsiveness?

I look forward to the results as well!
Think of it like lung capacity. How much air can you breathe in in one breathe and how fast can you breathe? If you breathe through your mouth, try pursing your lips together so the opening isn't very big, and now breathe. You can't get as much air or as fast as your lungs can bring in because of the restriction to airflow. Now open your mouth wide and breathe. Much more air much faster.

This is why runners are breathing with their mouths wide open while they run because they need lots of air quickly. Now try it with a face mask on. You still have as much volume available to you as before, but trying to breathe at the same rate through a paper filter is harder because the filter is slowing down the rate of airflow.

Velocity can overcome restrictions to a point by pumping air through the restrictions. If you look at the dyno Eventuri provided, it shows that the engine can and will use more air if it's available to it fast enough. Their filter system is providing that; more than the stock filter system is. It's not a huge difference, but enough to be noticeable.

All of this is with the stock tune and exhaust system with 3 cats on it, which are obviously restrictive to a point. Any mods to the engine and/or exhaust, would gain additional benefit from the Eventuri's ability to supply air efficiently, and would likely show more power gains as a result compared to just using the stock intake and filter.

GRP's upcoming test should show us exactly what the improvements are compared to stock, and how much and when they appear. This should be good.

I really dislike that most of these aftermarket intakes are not only expensive, but use that plastic flex pipe connecting to the throttle body. I'm assuming they can't use a clean looking carbon or titanium pipe there because the engine moves and requires some flexability, but why not use a clean multi layer silicone hose instead? Wouldn't it be less expensive, allow more flexibility, and have a smoother interior for better airflow?

I really dislike that most of these aftermarket intakes are not only expensive, but use that plastic flex pipe connecting to the throttle body. I'm assuming they can't use a clean looking carbon or titanium pipe there because the engine moves and requires some flexability, but why not use a clean multi layer silicone hose instead? Wouldn't it be less expensive, allow more flexibility, and have a smoother interior for better airflow?
The Eventuri is a molded flexible material. The material used has to be able to withstand the heat of the engine compartment, and what it's connected to so it doesn't melt. It also has to be strong enough to not deform under the vacuum pressure at higher rpm's. In addition, it also has to have some flex in it so when the engine moves under acceleration, the tube doesn't tear or break.

Are we confident that the Mass Air Flow sensor scaling will support an increase in airflow? I'd hate to spend a bunch of money on a fancy airbox and find that the ECU can't read anything higher than the "fully open" value pre-programmed to the voltage output of the MAF, and in fact may throw errors on voltages above the "wide open" value in the table.

Are we confident that the Mass Air Flow sensor scaling will support an increase in airflow? I'd hate to spend a bunch of money on a fancy airbox and find that the ECU can't read anything higher than the "fully open" value pre-programmed to the voltage output of the MAF, and in fact may throw errors on voltages above the "wide open" value in the table.
Eventuri and another owner have confirmed no codes with its use.

The Eventuri is a molded flexible material. The material used has to be able to withstand the heat of the engine compartment, and what it's connected to so it doesn't melt. It also has to be strong enough to not deform under the vacuum pressure at higher rpm's. In addition, it also has to have some flex in it so when the engine moves under acceleration, the tube doesn't tear or break.

You can accomplish that just fine with silicone hoses. For example, I ran this turbo inlet on one of my Subaru STIs with no issues. It's multi layer silicone reinforced by a SS support wire:

1000023453.jpg

And here are the silicone boost hoses on my 300ZX twin turbo.. No issues with melting or collapsing, even at 28psi and over 450whp.

1000014457.jpg

I’m not tempting fate with any mods based on my exhaust fiasco. With my luck, I’d get a CEL with an aftermarket intake system and the whole cycle would start over again with my dealer.

Good luck to you brave and lucky souls that don’t have issues with your mods.

Last edited: