• We are conducting our first ever Lotus Emira of the Month for May 2024. This will be a monthly contest and will be submissions from users, voted for by the membership. Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 May 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Emiras advertised for sale on other sites

Tonyshepp

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
But why has the original owner sold it ? when he said he was so happy with it ? So that’s two owners that have had them 5 mins used and then sold on ? Doesn’t sound good were they so disappointed in the car ?
Exactly what my wife said. Is this Jethros revenge, perhaps he could see beyond the Emperors new clothes whilst the rest of us are playing catch up?

Lotustoronto

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
My 2 cents - The car flipping game is heading towards a collapse. If anyone on here is following the Carvana situation (largest publicly traded online dealership in the US) they are pretty much collapsing and most likely heading into bankruptcy. The lucky few, mostly in the UK may do well for a few more months, after that I think it's game over. Outside the UK, Lotus does not have the market share, dealer network or marketing to demand many over MSRP sales.

Radford has not been able to sell it's 62-2 Lotus - In two years I believe you are still able to order one. If that was any other marquee (Ferrari, Aston etc.) it would have had a full order book within days, not years. Either way good luck to everyone!

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
But why has the original owner sold it ? when he said he was so happy with it ? So that’s two owners that have had them 5 mins used and then sold on ? Doesn’t sound good were they so disappointed in the car ?

The yellow car at Central Nottingham is clearly a flipper, the car only has delivery mileage and is still in the showroom.

The blue car is more puzzling, as initially the owner gave no hint it was going to be sold and then a week later it's up for trade auction rather than public sale. People's circumstances change, particularly with the current economic situation, so it may have been sold to make a small but quick profit rather than have the uncertainty of advertising it at a higher premium and it hanging around for weeks. The owner might tell us but isn't obliged to explain.

Lotustoronto

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Exactly what my wife said. Is this Jethros revenge, perhaps he could see beyond the Emperors new clothes whilst the rest of us are playing catch up?
I think the Emira is a great car for what it is, but let's be honest, a lot of the early depositors were always going to be flippers looking to make a pound or two.

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
That's probably true for a number of people who placed deposits immediately after the reveal and hence in the first month or two of deliveries.

It adds further frustration for pre-reveal depositors who are delayed into Dec/Jan/Feb who would have happily taken and kept these early cars they now see being flipped.

BeHappy

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
The yellow car at Central Nottingham is clearly a flipper, the car only has delivery mileage and is still in the showroom.

The blue car is more puzzling, as initially the owner gave no hint it was going to be sold and then a week later it's up for trade auction rather than public sale. People's circumstances change, particularly with the current economic situation, so it may have been sold to make a small but quick profit rather than have the uncertainty of advertising it at a higher premium and it hanging around for weeks. The owner might tell us but isn't obliged to explain.
Tom I wasn’t referring to the yellow ( I know that car has not been used ) I was referring to the other one that was discussed on here the other day saying it had rattles etc and other stuff to go back, but owner had already sold think they said they were disappointed if my memory is correct ( owner had had Evora etc )

Leonard

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
I think you will...for the 1st 10.... we shall see.
agree are looking at cash buyers, but those willing to pay 10/20% over odds to get a car instead of waiting 15 months, have the cash.... I would say.
Cant look at the forum as a good base group... too many ex lotus owners and too many from the east midlands.. haha
we are looking at the 5-10% as you say ... and they have the dosh.... they are not under the cosh.....they are not out at the weekend with a bucket giving the car a wash..... you may think all I say is a load of tosh.... but in reality I speak as much sense as a cars engine management system made by.......
Those that have the cash tho already have Mclarens and Ferraris and would see this as a massive step down or if we are being kind an oddity and talking point for a short period of time.
If you put it into watch terms it's like buying a prestige brand with a Valjoux movement. Anyone with the money (and snobbery) isn't even going to consider it when they can spend a bit more and get a Premier marque with an in-house engine

Last edited:

fatjase

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
I don’t see that £105k is mad not to a buyer that money is not a restrictor to have something now that you can’t get people will pay well over the odds. Like I said not too long along I sold a pair of desirable trainers RRP £150 for £1k . Lot of people would say that is mad but not to a person who has more money than sense - he couldn’t get them so people quiet willing to pay massively over premium. Just look at the ridiculous prices RS3 were fetching - just all about the desirability of the item - supply n demand
Agreed, it just seems mad to a sensible Yorkshireman who appreciates value for money. £105k just doesn't seem good value for the Emira to me. As you say the value is what someone is willing to pay, how many people are willing to pay £100k+ for the Emira is a different story though and only time will tell if it is few or many....hopefully many and I can sell ours and get a 2018 Vantage and some change towards something else.

Johnson

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Agreed, it just seems mad to a sensible Yorkshireman who appreciates value for money. £105k just doesn't seem good value for the Emira to me. As you say the value is what someone is willing to pay, how many people are willing to pay £100k+ for the Emira is a different story though and only time will tell if it is few or many....hopefully many and I can sell ours and get a 2018 Vantage and some change towards something else.
With the current exchange rate, the FE costs £112k here in Australia. I’m interested to know why you don’t think this is good value.

OP
emiraspain

emiraspain

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Those that have the cash tho already have Mclarens and Ferraris and would see this as a massive step down or if we are being kind an oddity and talking point for a short period of time.
If you put it into watch terms it's like buying a prestige brand with a Valjoux movement. Anyone with the money (and snobbery) isn't even going to consider it when they can spend a bit more and get a Premier marque with an in-house engine
disagree again, there are people on this forum with orders that have 4 5 cars or more and ferraris etc....

there are those that may have much better cars, like HARRY!!!.... who still have a soft spot for Lotus etc... None of them are expecting a miracle car..... just a decent car

anyway, time will tell.....

fatjase

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
With the current exchange rate, the FE costs £112k here in Australia. I’m interested to know why you don’t think this is good value.
Purely because in the UK our car is about £82k so £105k is a hell of a lot more and is closing in on some serious car territory at that price point.

OP
emiraspain

emiraspain

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Purely because in the UK our car is about £82k so £105k is a hell of a lot more and is closing in on some serious car territory at that price point.
but if you are not talking about used cars, which I dont think is fair to talk about although more than fair to buy, what else thats not a 911 T looks anywhere near as good and is as exclusive as the Emira for this money?
Serious cars? To me a macl or ferr are serious cars, a BMW is not.... I dont think there is a pure sports car, ie not a modified family type regular run of the mill car for anywhere near this price....is there? New...

Cachaco131

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Emira Status
Waiting to order
I'm too lazy and risk averse and aware to go through a purely speculative process (zero skill) to make 5k. Just shorting twitter would have been easier lol

Leonard

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
disagree again, there are people on this forum with orders that have 4 5 cars or more and ferraris etc....

there are those that may have much better cars, like HARRY!!!.... who still have a soft spot for Lotus etc... None of them are expecting a miracle car..... just a decent car

anyway, time will tell.....
Yes but all those people are paying list price.
We shall see as you say

fatjase

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
but if you are not talking about used cars, which I dont think is fair to talk about although more than fair to buy, what else thats not a 911 T looks anywhere near as good and is as exclusive as the Emira for this money?
Serious cars? To me a macl or ferr are serious cars, a BMW is not.... I dont think there is a pure sports car, ie not a modified family type regular run of the mill car for anywhere near this price....is there? New...
Surely it is fair to talk about used cars as it is about how one wants to spend their £105k as a car purchaser and they therefore aren't restricted to only buying a new car? If you purely want to look at it in the 'new sports car' category then I agree, other than a 718 GT4, 718 Spyder or Carrera T the Emira is about as good as it gets and is better looking than all of them. At £105k in the used market though you are absolutely in the serious car territory in the UK, and for me personally I wouldn't be buying an Emira for £105k, I'll have the one I've ordered at £82k which does seem value for money hence why I ordered it.

OP
emiraspain

emiraspain

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Surely it is fair to talk about used cars as it is about how one wants to spend their £105k as a car purchaser and they therefore aren't restricted to only buying a new car? If you purely want to look at it in the 'new sports car' category then I agree, other than a 718 GT4, 718 Spyder or Carrera T the Emira is about as good as it gets and is better looking than all of them. At £105k in the used market though you are absolutely in the serious car territory in the UK, and for me personally I wouldn't be buying an Emira for £105k, I'll have the one I've ordered at £82k which does seem value for money hence why I ordered it.
I agree......... but then so many cars can be thrown into the mix...

Mctaff

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
But they all are in the mix. Only a small group actually buying a car is going to constrain themselves to “what sports cars are new that cost 80k?”… unless you really really want a brand new car!

My view is that most people think, “I’ve got 80k, what can I get that ticks my boxes at that price point”… which really widens the opportunity. Yes some people have a “new 🚙cars only” box, but that’s only some people…

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Tom I wasn’t referring to the yellow ( I know that car has not been used ) I was referring to the other one that was discussed on here the other day saying it had rattles etc and other stuff to go back, but owner had already sold think they said they were disappointed if my memory is correct ( owner had had Evora etc )
Ah OK, I don’t think I know which other car you mean..