Emira Test Drive by Forum Member

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
Some more images from 23rd July on the Lotus Taster, dark verdant is very dark, a close up of the nose shows a little of the green, I found magma red is a colour that I still find difficult to decide on, it was not involved in the event although Lotus top man Stewart, took me to see the colour indoors, it had ice grey leather which looked amazing but I don't know about longevity for me.

The surprise was how good nimbus looks, it was probably my favourite although yellow and blue both look outstanding in the sunshine.

Lotus have applied some ppf in the normal stone chip areas, images below, behind the front wheel arches and ahead of the rears which is welcome protection.
I wish they had Nimbus on the wheels as an option. That color would look great on the wheels.

eriegz

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
They haven't tripled the gap to accommodate the seal. The gap existed first. It created a problem. So they filled it with the seal. Remove it and the gap is the same as it was before, as seen on earlier cars without the seal.
If this is true, then why did Lotus design the bonnet and front bumper with a gap to begin with?

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
If this is true, then why did Lotus design the bonnet and front bumper with a gap to begin with?
They're not perfect and didn't anticipate wind noise issues at speed because their computer modeling software didn't account for that when they were designing it?

Nova

Emira Addict
Reaction score
The gap might be necessary for the swing up hood panel for servicing? I don't know… Depending on the hinge design, the additional few mm may be necessary to prevent the panels from rubbing. Just a guess. I am sure they didn't do it just for the heck of it.

eriegz

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
They're not perfect and didn't anticipate wind noise issues at speed because their computer modeling software didn't account for that when they were designing it?
No I mean, if the gap can just be filled with a rubber tube with no impact on its functionality, then why was there a gap to begin with?

Most people who are complaining about the rubber seal aren't complaining about what goes into the gap. They're asking, why is there a gap to begin with? At least that's what I'm asking...

Last edited:

For the drivers

Reaction score
Obviously a big debate on the two different suspension settings and rightly so with most deposit holders not having the opportunity to try them back to back. Will give my honest and humble opinion having been a lotus owner for many years and having owned some of the best handing cars from the company. There is always a trade off between handling and ride comfort. I have been in the lucky position to have owned some fantastic handling cars 135R a few S2s 240 Exige’s, 250 Cup and a few Evora’s from a S1 NA to my latest 410 GT sport. . Yes I appreciate Harry’s opinion he is a legend, does that make him right ?. For me having owned a few Evora’s and the Emira being compared NA Evora for comfort setup and 410 sport for sport setup Believe me the NA is the worst handling lotus i have ever owned apart from a vx220 turbo i once owned. Yes for a sports car the NA is a fantastically supple ride. But yes it as to much roll and on a spirited drive it tells, its a heavy car. The 410 is in a different world the ride is just as supple as my daily JCW Clubman so yes can used on all Uk roads with all the benefits of being a true handling Lotus.

For the drivers

Reaction score
Some more images from 23rd July on the Lotus Taster, dark verdant is very dark, a close up of the nose shows a little of the green, I found magma red is a colour that I still find difficult to decide on, it was not involved in the event although Lotus top man Stewart, took me to see the colour indoors, it had ice grey leather which looked amazing but I don't know about longevity for me.

The surprise was how good nimbus looks, it was probably my favourite although yellow and blue both look outstanding in the sunshine.

Lotus have applied some ppf in the normal stone chip areas, images below, behind the front wheel arches and ahead of the rears which is welcome protection.
Opinion’s on ice grey with Seneca, black pack, dimond cut wheels and black calipers?

GetawayDriving

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
No I mean, if the gap can just be filled with a rubber tube with no impact on its functionality, then why was there a gap to begin with?

Most people who are complaining about the rubber seal aren't complaining about what goes into the gap. They're asking, why is there a gap to begin with? At least that's what I'm asking...

Because that panel opens to access radiators, fluids etc for service. The gap is presumably the size it needs to be to allow this panel to open without rubbing the adjacent panel. Likely some tolerance for flex as well, as it appears to be a pretty light panel.

The rubber seal is split down the middle to allow the panel to open, but unlike the body work the rubber seal can rub and compress when the panel is opened.

Leonard

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
Still don't get why it wasn't a lift odd panel.... no gap required.
Maybe 3rd party carbon option with hinge delete is where its at

Leonard

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
Because that panel opens to access radiators, fluids etc for service. The gap is presumably the size it needs to be to allow this panel to open without rubbing the adjacent panel. Likely some tolerance for flex as well, as it appears to be a pretty light panel.

The rubber seal is split down the middle to allow the panel to open, but unlike the body work the rubber seal can rub and compress when the panel is opened.
Refer u to the post above! 😋😇

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
Still don't get why it wasn't a lift odd panel.... no gap required.
Maybe 3rd party carbon option with hinge delete is where its at
Probably for convenience and the understanding that this isn't a track car that's street legal, it's a street car that can be used on the track. Convenient serviceability for non-track customers, and not having to place the panel somewhere when you've removed it was likely behind the decision to hinge it.

There's a considerable amount of bracing on the underside, so I'm guessing there's a lot of pressure force on that panel at say, 180 mph which is the top rated speed of the car. The front gap is probably to allow for flex and movement of both the panel and the front of the car at high speeds.

Leonard

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
Probably for convenience and the understanding that this isn't a track car that's street legal, it's a street car that can be used on the track. Convenient serviceability for non-track customers, and not having to place the panel somewhere when you've removed it was likely behind the decision to hinge it.

There's a considerable amount of bracing on the underside, so I'm guessing there's a lot of pressure force on that panel at say, 180 mph which is the top rated speed of the car. The front gap is probably to allow for flex and movement of both the panel and the front of the car at high speeds.
Nope still don't get it! 😅

GetawayDriving

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Refer u to the post above! 😋😇

A seam is still needed for a lift-off panel unless we’re back to clamshells. I still presume flex tolerances are part of this. If that piece is under aero load from below there could be some extra tolerance needed to avoid paint damage if rubbing on other panels. Just guessing.

Leonard

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
A seam is still needed for a lift-off panel unless we’re back to clamshells. I still presume flex tolerances are part of this. If that piece is under aero load from below there could be some extra tolerance needed to avoid paint damage if rubbing on other panels. Just guessing.
If it was lift off it be a 'normal' gap though

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order

The bonnet is hinged at the front and so there needs to be a gap to avoid the panels fouling. It's the same with the Elise, Exige and Evora access hatches, except none of those have (AFAIK) a visible rubber seal.

The gap on the hinge side of the Emira bonnet is slightly bigger than the other fixed panel gaps (ie where panels don't move) but similar to the gaps between moving panels (eg door, boot lid).

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
If it was lift off it be a 'normal' gap though

See previous explanations about why a lift-out panel probably wasn't a viable solution. That would also still have a gap.

Nope still don't get it! 😅

I think you're going to have to accept that everyone's attempts at explaining this are never going to satisfy you. The bonnet is hinged and the gap is there because that's what Lotus decided. If enough people are unhappy with it then I'm sure an aftermarket firm will come up with an alternative - hinge delete, screw-down custom made and painted panel (or some nice naked CF).

EspritGuy

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
The gap might be necessary for the swing up hood panel for servicing? I don't know… Depending on the hinge design, the additional few mm may be necessary to prevent the panels from rubbing. Just a guess. I am sure they didn't do it just for the heck of it.
Here's a thought: since Lotus staff are monitoring this forum, wouldn't it be great if there was a Ask the Tech Q&A about these things.
They have the answers and we have the questions. An interaction would keep us engaged while we wait (and ease the speculation).

Scruff111S

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Here's a thought: since Lotus staff are monitoring this forum, wouldn't it be great if there was a Ask the Tech Q&A about these things.
They have the answers and we have the questions. An interaction would keep us engaged while we wait (and ease the speculation).
Sounds like a good idea to me. I do wonder what the Lotus staff think of the not so complementary comments made on this forum by deposit holders. IE kept in the dark or longer than expected delivery dates.