Emira Test Drive by Forum Member

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
So far more people have ordered Touring than Sports, about 60/40. That’s based on “order” including only committed UK configs and firm non-UK orders, so probably only first 4-6 months of production.

Per my long thread on suspension choices, it’s very much about your intended usage and personal preference. They’re subtly different, rather than miles apart. Touring isn’t wallowy and Sports won’t rattle your teeth out! Any Exige for example is stiffer than Emira Sports.

Chris2409

Reaction score
To the guys that did the LDA day, cars aside, how was the day itself? I know that the days have moved away from the set agenda that they had previously under the Gold/Silver/Bronze levels. What did you ask to cover and did you feel your driving improved? Or was the day more of a high end test drive on a circuit?

_w_

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
To the guys that did the LDA day, cars aside, how was the day itself? I know that the days have moved away from the set agenda that they had previously under the Gold/Silver/Bronze levels. What did you ask to cover and did you feel your driving improved? Or was the day more of a high end test drive on a circuit?
Short briefing, really simple situation and layout info. There were less attendees than max so we got to drive each setup, usually it would just be one if they were at capacity (zero promises that would happen for other groups but the situation allowed and they thought it would be better for us). I just asked about what I was doing wrong, received a number of tips and discussion of physics, much more about driving and improving (while experiencing the car) and for me (I feel) it was very effective. There was at least one person who was specific about it being more of a test drive for them and another who didn’t actually know anything about the Emira they just wanted to learn the track for an upcoming event, both left happy with the provided service 👍🏽

emiraspain

Emira Addict
Reaction score
I’m not sure driving round Hethel is going to be a good indicator of the different suspension characteristics.

As demonstrated by Harry choosing Sport and changing to Touring after a B road blast.
no probably not, but I would like to drive what I have ordered as if I am to be disappointed, Id rather get it out of the way there and then. haha
I mean, I dont want to drive cup tyres and then see my tyres are much worse later on when I get the car...

Italiabrain

Reaction score
Did anyone at the event ask about the giant weather stripping they’ve now taped on the front that wasn’t there in the official production delay video and if that was a final solution?

It’s making me regret locking in a bright color more than I was originally worried about DV being too black if that’s final.

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
I asked at Goodwood. It is the solution that will be fitted to production cars. But it's easily removable. It's there because of an issue with aero and wind noise at high speed, so if you're not doing track days or autobahns you probably won't notice.

Italiabrain

Reaction score
I asked at Goodwood. It is the solution that will be fitted to production cars. But it's easily removable. It's there because of an issue with aero and wind noise at high speed, so if you're not doing track days or autobahns you probably won't notice.
Being removable isn’t a solution if the gap was tripled to incorporate it. That’s really disappointing.

kitkat

Emira Degenerate
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Won’t removing it just leave a large gap?

dgrace

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Question: were Sports and Tour noticably different in camber?

Tailslides

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Thanks for all the pics and information. DV does seem very dark.

Were you prevented from using race mode?

Are these production spec or still pre prod cars?
The duration of each session restricted time to experiment, initially we started in touring and switched to sport.

The cars in use by the Lotus Academy are preproduction standard, very close to customer cars but still have a discrepancies that would not be allowed to make it out of the factory gate.

Tailslides

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Great post. Between Harry switching from sport to tour, Schmee switching from sport to tour and then back to sport lol... and now this is a bit more praise on sport again.... Jethro says no need for the tour, sport is compliant enough, and Chris Harris saying the sport was fantastic for UK roads.... Decisions , decisions.
I think the tour is much more comfortable without being overly soft, suited to being a GT car

For the drivers

Reaction score
So far more people have ordered Touring than Sports, about 60/40. That’s based on “order” including only committed UK configs and firm non-UK orders, so probably only first 4-6 months of production.

Per my long thread on suspension choices, it’s very much about your intended usage and personal preference. They’re subtly different, rather than miles apart. Touring isn’t wallowy and Sports won’t rattle your teeth out! Any Exige for example is stiffer than Emira Sports.

Tailslides

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Tom the seats were good and held me place, I didn’t get a chance to test leather seats, my rides all alcantara. I forgot to mention driving position for me was great I am 5’9”, a lot of adjustability I am sure most sizes can get comfortable. The car wrapped around you it felt very good.
I can attest to the comfort and grip of both leather and alcantara seats as being very good, we were braking heavily with fast changes of direction, I didn't feel that I was moving around, being somewhat shorter than a lot of folk at 5'7" I could still get comfortable in relation to wheel, shift and pedals

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Won’t removing it just leave a large gap?
Being removable isn’t a solution if the gap was tripled to incorporate it. That’s really disappointing.
They haven't tripled the gap to accommodate the seal. The gap existed first. It created a problem. So they filled it with the seal. Remove it and the gap is the same as it was before, as seen on earlier cars without the seal.

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
I dont understand this as I've always thought an LSD helps remove understeer if anything? 🤔
Anyone shed light on it for info sharing before I hit up Google 🙂
Back in the day when street cars were pretty much all rear wheel drive (at least in America), if you did a hard launch from a green light, as soon as one rear wheel started to slip and lose traction, it would just spin because all the power was going to the rear wheel with the least resistance.

The limited slip differential was created that would compensate by transferring power to the non-slipping wheel so you'd still have traction under power. This improved launch and acceleration, and was mostly done for straight line acceleration. The limited slip diffs had various names, I remember GM called it Posi-traction, but they all did the same thing; transferring power to the rear wheel that wasn't slipping.

This also affected hard cornering. When going around a corner at speed, the body roll would cause the weight to shift to the outside rear wheel, and the inside rear wheel would start to lift and begin to slip and lose traction. The old differentials would feed the wheel with the least resistance (the one that was slipping), and in extreme cases, you'd lose driving power completely as the inside wheel would literally just spin while you coasted around the corner.

I don't see how having both rear wheels being driven when going around a corner would 'cause' understeer. That's more of a chassis set-up issue. Either soften the front sway bar, or stiffen the rear bar (or do both) is normally how you'd tune out understeer. You can also affect it with toe-in settings on the front. Understeer is usually set by the factory so non-performance trained drivers who go around a corner too fast, will slide out and off the road instead of spinning out in the middle of it and creating a collision hazard.

For a performance trained driver, understeer sucks because you just can't get the front end to grip, so your cornering speeds are limited as a result. I absolutely hate understeer. I prefer neutral to even a slight bit of oversteer so I can moderate my cornering speed with the throttle. Extreme examples of this are drifters; what you see Chris Harris doing in every video of him in a car on the track. An LSD actually helps with this because without it, you'd have no driving power in a corner.

Tailslides

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Some more images from 23rd July on the Lotus Taster, dark verdant is very dark, a close up of the nose shows a little of the green, I found magma red is a colour that I still find difficult to decide on, it was not involved in the event although Lotus top man Stewart, took me to see the colour indoors, it had ice grey leather which looked amazing but I don't know about longevity for me.

The surprise was how good nimbus looks, it was probably my favourite although yellow and blue both look outstanding in the sunshine.

Lotus have applied some ppf in the normal stone chip areas, images below, behind the front wheel arches and ahead of the rears which is welcome protection.

Attachments

• 20220723_081134.jpg
    20220723_081134.jpg
    273.8 KB · Views: 245
  • 20220723_081518.jpg
    20220723_081518.jpg
    253.5 KB · Views: 219
  • 20220723_081450.jpg
    20220723_081450.jpg
    172.5 KB · Views: 220
  • 20220723_081839.jpg
    20220723_081839.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 209
  • 20220723_091825.jpg
    20220723_091825.jpg
    206.6 KB · Views: 219
  • 20220723_081657.jpg
    20220723_081657.jpg
    226 KB · Views: 220
  • 20220723_101615.jpg
    20220723_101615.jpg
    226.6 KB · Views: 231
  • 20220723_094711.jpg
    20220723_094711.jpg
    200.9 KB · Views: 222
  • 20220723_094254.jpg
    20220723_094254.jpg
    175.8 KB · Views: 217
  • 20220723_081730.jpg
    20220723_081730.jpg
    260.3 KB · Views: 235

Leonard

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
Back in the day when street cars were pretty much all rear wheel drive (at least in America), if you did a hard launch from a green light, as soon as one rear wheel started to slip and lose traction, it would just spin because all the power was going to the rear wheel with the least resistance.

The limited slip differential was created that would compensate by transferring power to the non-slipping wheel so you'd still have traction under power. This improved launch and acceleration, and was mostly done for straight line acceleration. The limited slip diffs had various names, I remember GM called it Posi-traction, but they all did the same thing; transferring power to the rear wheel that wasn't slipping.

This also affected hard cornering. When going around a corner at speed, the body roll would cause the weight to shift to the outside rear wheel, and the inside rear wheel would start to lift and begin to slip and lose traction. The old differentials would feed the wheel with the least resistance (the one that was slipping), and in extreme cases, you'd lose driving power completely as the inside wheel would literally just spin while you coasted around the corner.

I don't see how having both rear wheels being driven when going around a corner would 'cause' understeer. That's more of a chassis set-up issue. Either soften the front sway bar, or stiffen the rear bar (or do both) is normally how you'd tune out understeer. You can also affect it with toe-in settings on the front. Understeer is usually set by the factory so non-performance trained drivers who go around a corner too fast, will slide out and off the road instead of spinning out in the middle of it and creating a collision hazard.

For a performance trained driver, understeer sucks because you just can't get the front end to grip, so your cornering speeds are limited as a result. I absolutely hate understeer. I prefer neutral to even a slight bit of oversteer so I can moderate my cornering speed with the throttle. Extreme examples of this are drifters; what you see Chris Harris doing in every video of him in a car on the track. An LSD actually helps with this because without it, you'd have no driving power in a corner.
Yup what I thought.
Normally just get more speed and more controlled oversteer!
Here's hoping a geo set up will sort it out for heroes amongst us 😋😉🤣🦸‍♂️