Emira Review Index [V6 FE]

Featured
For those looking for the latest Emira V6 FE reviews scheduled to be released today, I've self-volunteered to maintain a quick reference index here.
Please let me know of any missing articles and I'll update accordingly. (y)

ReviewerTypeDirect Link
EdmundsArticle
Harry's Garage (Harry Metcalfe)Video Review

Harry drives the Sports and Tour suspension back to back on the same road and shares his thoughts.
Schmee150 (Tim Burton)Video ReviewPublished 21st June
Carwow (Mat Watson)Video Review
TopGearArticles and VideoPublished 3rd July
Chris Harris talks about the Lotus Emira

Published 20th June

AutoTrader (Rory Reid)Video Review
EvoArticle and Video Review
CARArticle and Video ReviewPublished 22nd July

Lotus Emira vs Cayman 718 GTS vs Alpine 110s
AutocarArticle and Video Review
PistonheadsArticle
KHTVVideo Review
The DriveArticle
AutoExpressArticle
Pictures:
WhichCarArticle
CarBuyerArticle
HagertyArticle
Road and TrackArticlePublished 1st September
Lotus Emira Road and Track Drive

GoodwoodArticle
The IntercoolerPodcastReasonably good post-embargo Emira discussion on The Intercooler.
MotortrendArticle
DriveArticle
AFRArticle
ParkersArticle
CarExpertArticle
Caffeine & MachineArticle
Photos on Instagram:
The Sunday Times DrivingArticle
Car and DriverArticle
The SunArticle
AutoCar UKArticlePublished 2nd July

Last edited:

emiraspain

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Behind The Glass - FFWD to 43:00 for Emira content... #forthecontroversy :ROFLMAO:

interesting.... and the negativity does seem to, as always, snowball a bit and although I dont think it will have much effect on orders at all, maybe 5-10% max, it is still something Lotus should be out there getting on top of and they have walked into this mess by leaving the cat flap open with a load of insects at the back door.
I would be reacting now if I were them and make things a lot clearer as to what if anything will be done, or that nothing needs to be done as the car is exactly the way they intend it to be, 6750/7050 out of their hands, or whatever, but if it doesnt compete with the cayman gts, then get away from that comparison as soon as possible...... make it a cheap aston :). or get it up against the F type......... I dont know, but silence isnt the way I would go.
it will eventually all die down..... but there are a LOT more youtubers out there that will get their hands on this car over the next 2 months and Lotus would not want them taking the same path.
Im still happy, I think this guy will drive the car and I think he will like it, he had an evora didnt he, cant recall... had a 911 thats for sure

emiraspain

Emira Addict
Reaction score
interesting.... and the negativity does seem to, as always, snowball a bit and although I dont think it will have much effect on orders at all, maybe 5-10% max, it is still something Lotus should be out there getting on top of and they have walked into this mess by leaving the cat flap open with a load of insects at the back door.
I would be reacting now if I were them and make things a lot clearer as to what if anything will be done, or that nothing needs to be done as the car is exactly the way they intend it to be, 6750/7050 out of their hands, or whatever, but if it doesnt compete with the cayman gts, then get away from that comparison as soon as possible...... make it a cheap aston :). or get it up against the F type......... I dont know, but silence isnt the way I would go.
it will eventually all die down..... but there are a LOT more youtubers out there that will get their hands on this car over the next 2 months and Lotus would not want them taking the same path.
Im still happy, I think this guy will drive the car and I think he will like it, he had an evora didnt he, cant recall... had a 911 thats for sure

emira reviews... haha

Leonard

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
it is still something Lotus should be out there getting on top of and they have walked into this mess by leaving the cat flap open with a load of insects at the back door.
I would be reacting now if I were them and make things a lot clearer as to what if anything will be done, or that nothing needs to be done as the car is exactly the way they intend it to be
The pessimist in me is saying that this is exactly how it was going to be all along.

Geely "Hello Hethel here's a load of money for your final ICE swan song but don't fuck it up, we want a LUXURY product that won't scare off the Chinese market and is going to appeal to as many people as possible as we want to excite folk into the next batch of Electric cars"

Lotus "Oh Ok errrr that's not really who we are or what we are about, its all about the drivers"

Geely "do you want the money or not?"

Lotus "OK but this doesn't feel right"

Geely "Dont worry 99% of people wont care and by 2025 we won't be making drivers cars anymore anyway"

Lotus "OK this is sounding very disappointing, but if it's the only way..."

Geely "It is yes! And we want crappy overly dramatized Asian Marketing as well, with dancing and ribbons and shit!"

Lotus "Oh, OK...... What if folk don't like the new Lotus?"

Geely "Don't worry about it we don't actually care about existing customers. Worst case we will let you build a limited run (you aren't spending a lot of time on it...) end of line hardcore Emira in 2025. That will be your final NA swan song. Don't fuck up the base Emira though or heads will fly and we will just move production to China."

Lotus-Gav "Gav this is a bit of a pinch, isn't it? You reckon we can pull this off so that we can make the Emira sporty yet unthreatening in equal measure? We have to at least try and appease some of our existing customers?"

Gav "Yeah will give it a go, we will squeeze in what we can for the drivers over the next 12 months of production and hopefully, it will be enough to appease everyone"

emiraspain

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Like the cheese rolling post. I live a mile away and was speaking to the guys setting up for last weekend’s event the day before the race, including the winner. His 22nd win. Absolutely mad.
If you like it you have to give it a like, I too am interested in the ratings you know.. haha.
22nd win... you would think a little bit would be down to pure luck, but seems not.... its crazy!

NicolasB

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
The pessimist in me is saying that this is exactly how it was going to be all along.

Geely "Hello Hethel here's a load of money for your final ICE swan song but don't fuck it up, we want a LUXURY product that won't scare off the Chinese market and is going to appeal to as many people as possible as we want to excite folk into the next batch of Electric cars"

Lotus "Oh Ok errrr that's not really who we are or what we are about, its all about the drivers"

Geely "Dont worry 99% of people wont care and by 2025 we won't be making drivers cars anymore anyway"

Geely "It is yes! And we want crappy overly dramatized Asian Marketing as well, with dancing and ribbons and shit!"

Geely "Don't worry about it we don't actually care about existing customers. Worst case we will let you build a limited run (you aren't spending a lot of time on it...) end of line hardcore Emira in 2025. That will be your final NA swan song. Don't fuck up the base Emira though or heads will fly and we will just move production to China."

Lotus-Gav "Gav this is a bit of a pinch, isn't it? You reckon we can pull this off so that we can make the Emira sporty yet unthreatening in equal measure? We have to at least try and appease some of our existing customers?"

Gav "Yeah will give it a go, we will squeeze in what we can for the drivers over the next 12 months of production and hopefully, it will be enough to appease everyone"
Yes, this is it. I always say that to make something great, it cannot try to be 2 things at once. If you try to buy a boat that is a comfortable cruiser, but also a speed boat, it will fail at both. If you want a purebred sports car that is also a grand-tourer, you will get neither.

frazzer

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
it's clear many of us were expecting an Evora GT with upmarket interior and supercar looks and that's not what we're getting. We may be the minority.

One telling conversation I had at the roadshow about Sport vs Touring was the Lotus guy said the Touring was for commuters and management want to be sure anyone not coming from a sports car gets the Touring. I actually got the Touring (planning long drives in it), but the point is Lotus is making this a global mass market car - that raw edge of the Evora I got drawn in by may have been blunted a bit too much - just don't know. Will wait to test drive it.

EspritGuy

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
View attachment 6354

^^^ Me - watching the handbags in this thread....

Jokes aside - if i hadnt have actually seen the Car (magma) in person last weekend,i admit that i'd be worried more about the reviews.
But you know what, after seeing and hearing it again, i have no fears whatsoever that this car is great and others peoples opinions will not matter at the end of the day - Smiles per Mile and all that....

Yes - my concerns were ironically commented on in a couple of reviews - The low rev limit, the clunky gear shift - but you know what, i had that in the Elise and im still back for more and as someone rightly pointed out - where in the real day to day driving are you going to be hooning it around exceeding 7k+ revs on the roads - short revs, more gear shifting, better feel of driving (in my eyes at least).

I for one cannot wait to get my final call this month and even if i wasnt completely sold by the manual, i'd sell and wait for the i4, because what else is there really that beats this on looks for that money?

Porsche are a dime a dozen, great cars but every man and his dog has one.

Be Unique, In a world full of Kardashians , be a Sophia Loren......
Love the photo and the point it makes. Cheers!

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
I wasnt going to, but as I took the trouble to read it all I think I earned the right to reply ;).
Firstly I feel superior to both of you, although its not justified by any real evidence, its just the 1066 bit of French in me ... I do like France by the way and they have the best driving roads for my taste.... I cant wait to get there in the Emira.
My favourite line "as you know I will respond" although I slightly take it out of context.

Very well written, you make my comments look like badly scribbled post it notes :).

I agree with the interesting point you make, which is obvious but I hadn't really thought about it too much and I misquote:

Lotus invested a certain amount of time and money based on certain expectations.... brilliant, because as you say, their sales expectations were probably half or less than what they have now. IF they knew they were going to have such a hit on their hands, I genuinely think they would have perhaps seeked out a new V6 engine and gear box, but as you said, and Ive said, you stick with what you know and avoid too much risk unless you can see a huge benefit and in the end they get the benefit without the risk. They probably wont care too much about Evo AND others, if the sales stay strong.... although I still say they will be busy trying to make some final tweeks as no one wants bad press either, not from any corners!
Its a shame they did not know what a hit they would have and hence could have made an even better car, but thats okay, I still think it will be a corker.
I keep saying it, but that wont stop me, no one will buy a Porsche, unless its a 911, especially the GT3touring, but even base model, I think looks stunning, and turn around while walking away and breath in from its beauty. The Cayman, Macan, Cayenne, whatever, they are all good, very good cars, even better cars, but they are as boring as Cricket and Baseball (couldn't insult one without the other (Ive been to the Atlanta Braves)) combined.
The next interesting thing will be to see how closely matched Jaguar's, Porsches and Lotus/alpine's electric sports cars are. I personally cant wait to see the designs and I hope they are all VERY close on specs, with really only the design separating them. I expect Jaguar to be the surprise package there.... they had an elecric hypercar set for release before all the others, but pulled the plug with a working protype out there if I recall... wrong market moment..shame... looked great. Although now they are focusing more on Very hugh end Bentley style cars, so not sure there will be an F type electric? I hope sooooooo. But it may in the end be a Ferrari type competitor and not a 718 type...
If you actually read through all that, you're somewhat of a masochist and rather close to being crazy. I salute you sir.

RE electric cars; I don't see how they can be all that different from each other spec-wise, since they're either a skateboard layout, or a centered stack layout for batteries. There really isn't much else they can do, at least with the battery technology we have today. Based on the Evija, it looks like Lotus is going with the centered stack approach for their sports cars, and putting the batteries where the traditional ICE engine would have been. This makes sense and gives them more flexibility with chassis setup and interior layout.

From what we're already seeing, all these electric cars are going to have silly acceleration so there won't be any big 'ours is faster than the competition' type of thing. They're all going to be stupidly fast. They'll all have pretty much the same layout, setup and drive mechanisms. So at that point, the biggest area to differentiate your product from the competition is going to be body design and style, and interior design and style combined with whatever tech features they can come up with.

I expect chassis/power development will mature rather quickly, and then it's all about looks, interior and tech features. Based on the Evija and Emira, Lotus has a pretty good start on exterior looks. At least Russell's team does. The Eletre team has a good start on interior, but not so good on exterior; simply not in the same league as Russell's team in my opinion. I'm looking forward to seeing what Russell's team has done with the Type 135.

I have no doubt the electric cars are going to perform ridiculously well, and far better than any ICE car ever did or ever could. The thrills will be all about g-forces; like a fast roller coaster planted to the ground, but I don't expect them to have the charm or character that ICE cars do, and certainly not the sound. I don't know that's going to matter to tomorrow's enthusiasts though. Maybe the workout of g-force thrills will be seductive enough that they won't care about sound or charm. It'll be like "Life in the fast lane; everything all the time." Anything else will seem dull and boring by comparison.

The only real downside I see right now to the electric future is the cost. Unless they figure out a way to come up with a cheaper battery technology, electric cars will be for the upper class, and the lower class will either keep slogging along with ICE cars, or the elites will just outlaw them completely and force the lower classes to settle for mass transit. As unappealing and distasteful as it may be, we may not be that far off from the future looking a lot like Blade Runner. When that came out in the early 80's, I would have said there's no way anything like that could actually happen in the future. Now, 40 years later....I'm not so sure.

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score

This has to be the post of not only the day, but of the year so far. This is my favorite line and I actually burst out laughing when I read it: "Geely "It is yes! And we want crappy overly dramatized Asian Marketing as well, with dancing and ribbons and shit!"" Clearly you've seen Chinese show productions rofl.

Leonard

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
This has to be the post of not only the day, but of the year so far. This is my favorite line and I actually burst out laughing when I read it: "Geely "It is yes! And we want crappy overly dramatized Asian Marketing as well, with dancing and ribbons and shit!"" Clearly you've seen Chinese show productions rofl.
It's pretty obvious Big Brother is pulling most of the strings. Add in internal power struggles at Hethel under the new ownership and long-standing senior team members probably feeling out of depth and struggling to adjust to New Lotus and it's a wonder we are where we are! Respect to those Lotus employees holding it all together.

Last edited:

Evotion

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
The only real downside I see right now to the electric future is the cost.
There is another...

Infrastructure.

Breakdowns, build up of non-eco friendly batteries that might fill Australia, and, if we all have one or two of them, how are people on the street, and those living in apartment blocks going to charge them. What then happens to the price of electricity, which is already buggered.

I hope Electric gets bypassed some bright 'spark' brings out an alternative solution.

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
There is another...

Infrastructure.

Breakdowns, build up of non-eco friendly batteries that might fill Australia, and, if we all have one or two of them, how are people on the street, and those living in apartment blocks going to charge them. What then happens to the price of electricity, which is already buggered.

I hope Electric gets bypassed some bright 'spark' brings out an alternative solution.
Yeah and there's already issues with something like 25% of the charging stations out there aren't working. There was a lady somewhere in the U.S., who had taken a video of a line of Teslas waiting to charge their cars at the only working charging station available, and it was taking twice as long to charge the cars because the station was being overworked and overheating. These people were literally going to be stuck there for hours because there was simply no other option. And this is now when this entire thing is in its early infancy. California is already telling people they're going to have to start cutting back on their power usage, especially this summer.

The electric future needs to be pushed out a lot farther than 2030. We are NOT ready in a lot of ways to completely switch over.

Tonyshepp

Emira Maniac
Reaction score

Following on from this theme

Lotus - "who's gonna do the marketing and customer communications" - Deathly silence..... Then bob pipes up
"There's the" then promptly forgets and it's put on the lowest priority backlog.

There is another...

Infrastructure.

There is, its Hydrogen and that's what aviation is chasing along with the oil and gas industry and chemical industry.
Today's problem is the high cost to create, store and move hydrogen. But it is the only viable sustainable solution, Electric most certainly isn't sustainable unless SMR's come on line and quickly.

Evotion

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
California is already telling people they're going to have to start cutting back on their power usage, especially this summer.

The electric future needs to be pushed out a lot farther than 2030. We are NOT ready in a lot of ways to completely switch over.
Ha, yep.

This has all been on a blinkered and misjudged agenda to make it appear to use that that we all going green to save the planet but this really could be a disaster.

I blame Greta!! :D

Leonard

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
Following on from this theme

Lotus - "who's gonna do the marketing and customer communications" - Deathly silence..... Then bob pipes up
"There's the" then promptly forgets and it's put on the lowest priority backlog.
LOL very true.

Geely "We need to get rid of your archaic English dealer network, we know best and we should have all the money and control"

Lotus "OK this is going to be awkward"

Lotus 18 months later "whos doing the customer service again?????"

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
Ha, yep.

This has all been on a blinkered and misjudged agenda to make it appear to use that that we all going green to save the planet but this really could be a disaster.

I blame Greta!! :D
Yes! Peepee longstocking meets children of the corn. Boy were they played...they should have known better.

99Problems

Reaction score
Speaking of Lotus comms... just got this email. Which, to be fair... I don't know how else I'd expect Lotus to handle the early feedback... but the spin they are spinning is the reviews are in... and they are GREAT! :rolleyes: I mean, all the quotes are from the reviews. There HAVE been positive things said. But it certainly passively suggests that whatever negatives have been mentioned are not likely things that Lotus are taking as feedback to be addressed. Honestly the only one I'm concerned with is shifter feel. Coming from a 991.2 911 GTS 7-speed manual, I've heard a lot about what a bad gear box it was, but had no real issues with it. Felt it worked better than the 6 speed in my Aston Vantage S. My intent is not to be tracking the car at 9/10's for most of its life, but if its getting bogged down in normal shifting situations at 5000 RPM, that would be a problem :unsure:

1654790905682.png