Emira production is underway

scarzie

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Just got the bad news from Lotus Naples. I put a deposit down last August 2nd and didn't make the "cut" for a First Edition. They think I "may" get a car later half of 2023.
Did they proactively reach out or did you inquire? I think I put my deposit down the same day as you and I've been having to push for any info

Lotus-USFL

Reaction score
Did they proactively reach out or did you inquire? I think I put my deposit down the same day as you and I've been having to push for any info
I had to proactively push multiple times to get the info. Honestly, I feel people probably jumped the line in front of me. But that's how life works sometimes.

For now, I'm keeping my deposit. However, if the production reviews aren't amazing, I'll probably pull the rip cord and get a Porsche.

kratedisease

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
I had to proactively push multiple times to get the info. Honestly, I feel people probably jumped the line in front of me. But that's how life works sometimes.

For now, I'm keeping my deposit. However, if the production reviews aren't amazing, I'll probably pull the rip cord and get a Porsche.

Funny me, I don't know why but I have such an aversion to Porsche.

Only Porsche I would ever consider is the new 911 Turbo S ......simply for the amazing performance, but can't justify the price or the repulsive styling.

Pegasi

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Just got the bad news from Lotus Naples. I put a deposit down last August 2nd and didn't make the "cut" for a First Edition. They think I "may" get a car later half of 2023.

My deposit went in mid August and my dealer told me a similar date. I went ahead and added 6 months to their estimate so Q2 2024 is when I am expecting. Just wanted to reply since I heard something similar to you.

mjw930

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
That’s interesting. Did they give you any indication of where you were in the queue? They “claimed” to get 70 FE allocations.

I placed a deposit with them a couple weeks ago, they said I was “in the high 100’s” on the list, ~175 when I pushed and they said, “you will get a car in 2023”. I’m wondering if the estimates for 2023 production have been reduced?

Your comment combined with the latest update on their website that now says Base delivery of Winter 23/24 for the US doesn’t bode well for us.

mjw930

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
My deposit went in mid August and my dealer told me a similar date. I went ahead and added 6 months to their estimate so Q2 2024 is when I am expecting. Just wanted to reply since I heard something similar to you.
LOL, by the time our numbers come up there will be used FE’s on the market……. I’ll probably just let it ride and see what happens.

2 years is an eternity in this market, they will lose a large chunk of their deposits if they aren’t delivering cars consistently once they start production. Based on what’s now in the configurator there looks like a long pause between FE deliveries and Base deliveries for the US, not good.

Pegasi

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
LOL, by the time our numbers come up there will be used FE’s on the market……. I’ll probably just let it ride and see what happens.

2 years is an eternity in this market, they will lose a large chunk of their deposits if they aren’t delivering cars consistently once they start production. Based on what’s now in the configurator there looks like a long pause between FE deliveries and Base deliveries for the US, not good.

I am really really really hoping they are doing worse case scenarios and that supply chains ease up and they get that 2nd shift up and running. Yes, there will be used FEs by the time we get our base, but will there be a Dark Verdant!

LotusB

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order

There are several ways of looking at it. You're interested in buying an enthusiast car, which by all accounts will be produced in relatively limited quantities.

Let's look at this by the numbers. Lotus it targeting 4800 cars per year. So assuming we have no supply chain or other issues they'll deliver that many cars and maybe in the future they'll have a second shift. But we have to walk before we can run. So let's call it 5k cars per year globally. There were over 20k Cayman's delivered last year (go to a dealer and try to buy one). There were over 26k C8 Corvette's produced (go to the dealer and try to buy one).

You can order a C8 at MSRP and given their high production numbers you'll get one in about 8+ months. If you don't have the time to wait, well.... huge markups are a thing. This has always been the case with special/enthusiast cars that are in high demand, but this is now happening to basic econoboxes as well.

So the point is everything is a wait these days and when you're talking about a car that's not even released. Not a single production copy of it exists... yeah, it's a slightly longer wait. I doubt there will be (affordable) FE's on the market in the next 2-years. The first ones should hopefully be delivered in 6-months and that'll go on for several months. In those ~4 months (almost a year of wait) all the FE's will finally get delivered to North America (700 total, minus dealer demo's, minus Mexico, Puerto Rico and Canada). It'll be a rare car indeed.

Sources:

Lotus-USFL

Reaction score
That’s interesting. Did they give you any indication of where you were in the queue? They “claimed” to get 70 FE allocations.

I placed a deposit with them a couple weeks ago, they said I was “in the high 100’s” on the list, ~175 when I pushed and they said, “you will get a car in 2023”. I’m wondering if the estimates for 2023 production have been reduced?

Your comment combined with the latest update on their website that now says Base delivery of Winter 23/24 for the US doesn’t bode well for us.
At Naples once you put your money down and they have you hooked, they NEVER tell you exactly where you are in the allocation queue. As I was told by my sales person, each salesmen supposedly only have access to their individual clients and can't see the 'big picture' to know where each person is in line at the dealership. My particular sales person had 2 cars assigned to be built in the first March allocation.

mjw930

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
At Naples once you put your money down and they have you hooked, they NEVER tell you exactly where you are in the allocation queue. As I was told by my sales person, each salesmen supposedly only have access to their individual clients and can't see the 'big picture' to know where each person is in line at the dealership. My particular sales person had 2 cars assigned to be built in the first March allocation.
Yep, same story I got but having come late to the party I figure the dealer with the most allocation at least gives me a fighting chance of getting a car in 2023.

So, there’s another thing Lotus is going to need to monitor, the dealer experience. When you are competing with Porsche, Mercedes and BMW you need to bring your A game. I have the GM’s cell phone number at my Porsche dealer, I’d have the answer on deposits and spot in the queue in 30 seconds. I may make a few calls.

Johnson

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
I think we’re all a bit confused why official photos aren’t forthcoming from the factory. Well, communication from Lotus UK today explains it:

“…because the red ones are still prototype cars, we aren't allowed to post them online unless they are production level cars.”

Simple as that. I guess as soon as they start production Magmas we’ll get some proper photos.

NicolasB

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
I think we’re all a bit confused why official photos aren’t forthcoming from the factory. Well, communication from Lotus UK today explains it:

“…because the red ones are still prototype cars, we aren't allowed to post them online unless they are production level cars.”

Simple as that. I guess as soon as they start production Magmas we’ll get some proper photos.
Or nimbus, or Verdant, or ....

VL3X

Staff member
Reaction score

Ok.. But the Seneca show car and Shadow roadshow car weren't production either.

digilotus

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Agree the logic doesn't make sense. They seem to have lots of painted cars - we don't care if they're missing a windscreen or are using old Evora wheels or have silver tailpipes because the black ones are still on back order with a supplier.

We just want to see the body shells painted using the Durr automated paint booth in daylight conditions. I really feel sorry for those who are flying to Hethel and then paying for a tour to (maybe) see the colour of their choosing in real life.

VL3X

Staff member
Reaction score
Agree the logic doesn't make sense. They seem to have lots of painted cars - we don't care if they're missing a windscreen or are using old Evora wheels or have silver tailpipes because the black ones are still on back order with a supplier.

We just want to see the body shells painted using the Durr automated paint booth in daylight conditions. I really feel sorry for those who are flying to Hethel and then paying for a tour to (maybe) see the colour of their choosing in real life.

Exactly. I've already given Lotus $5k for a car I've yet to drive or see my color in person. There's no way I'm paying to fly to England and travel to Hethel if Lotus can't even communicate with their paying customers and provide simple photos of painted shells.

vdr

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Pretty much the same scenario for me. Deposit placed in early August with nary a word from my dealer until I reached out to Lotus directly. Somehow that got my dealer's attention at which point they responded to direct all inquiries to them going forward, "oh and BTW you didn't make the cut for the FE"..

I guess at this point I'll wait and see when I get a build slot.