Emira looks

Wolfram

Emira Fan
Reaction score
There's been so much said about the Emira's 'supercar' looks here, but does anyone else think it's a shame it doesn't look like a Lotus? I think pretty much every car that Lotus has designed thus far has been unmistakably a Lotus: Esprit, Elan, Elise, Exige, Evora - they were all really distinctive and didn't ape anything else.

And now we have the 'supercar'-looking Emira which is a blatant copy of Ferrari's designs, and there have been many comments here that people are hoping it will be mistaken for a Ferrari (and it probably will).

2fed0c9ff90549d58c114e7bc026b1e0.jpg

(Ferrari 812)

2020 Ferrari 488 Pista Spider -5.jpg

(Ferrari 488 Pista)

But it's got absolutely none of the performance of a Ferrari - even one from a few generations back. It doesn't even have the performance of Lotus's own outgoing final edition three E's, and lukewarm reviews where the previous E cars were pretty unanimously brilliantly received. Yet the Emira's looks have been designed to fake being a supecar, and people are lapping it up.

So what exactly is it then? It all feels a bit fake Rolex to me...

Last edited:

Green

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
There's been so much said about the Emira's 'supercar' looks here, but does anyone else think it's a shame it doesn't look like a Lotus? I think pretty much every car that Lotus has designed thus far has been unmistakably a Lotus: Esprit, Elan, Elise, Exige, Evora - they were all really distinctive and didn't ape anything else.

And now we have the 'supercar'-looking Emira which is a blatant copy of Ferrari's designs, and there have been many comments here that people are hoping it will be mistaken for a Ferrari (and it probably will).

View attachment 9675
(Ferrari 812)

View attachment 9676
(Ferrari 488 Pista)

But it's got absolutely none of the performance of a Ferrari - even one from a few generations back. It doesn't even have the performance of Lotus's own outgoing final edition thee E's, and lukewarm reviews where the previous E cars were pretty unanimously brilliantly received. Yet the Emira's looks have been designed to fake being a supecar, and people are lapping it up.

If that is how it makes you feel I would definitely recommend you buy a Ferrari instead. Best of luck.

Leonard

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
It looks a little too smooth in my eyes and why it lacks a little of that Lotus DNA.
However this is New Lotus and it shares plenty in common with the other new models and still has a few nods back to the historical models so all good 👍

OP
Wolfram

Wolfram

Emira Fan
Reaction score
It looks in absolutely no way like a Ferrari, not even proportions wise. The only things they have in common is the engine layout and that they look both good. However, the newer Ferraris look way over the top (which is ok, because they are).
So why are many threads here peppered with comments along the lines of "it looks like a Ferrari - people will think I'm driving a Ferrari" and "if I put Ferrari shield stickers on the wings no-one will know the difference?"

I just don't get what the Emira is. It's softer than the previous generation of Lotus cars, but designed to look like a full-on supercar. I had a deposit town and wanted to love the car. I adore my Elise SC. But the Emira - is it just for posing?

Last edited:

Leonard

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
So why are many threads here peppered with comments along the lines of "it looks like a Ferrari - people will think I'm driving a Ferrari" and "if I put Ferrari shield stickers on the wings no-one will know the difference?"
I think most non car people see a red sports car and think it's a Ferrari. That could be a McLaren, R8, or any other number of mid engined cars.
It looks like a mini supercar is what most folk on here really mean. They are just using ferrari as the benchmark as they are the quintessential mid engined supercar

JohnHoward

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I think most non car people see a red sports car and think it's a Ferrari. That could be a McLaren, R8, or any other number of mid engined cars.
It looks like a mini supercar is what most folk on here really mean. They are just using ferrari as the benchmark as they are the quintessential mid engined supercar
@Leonard I was just typing almost exactly the same thing! Are you spying on me, you beat me though because I was spell checking 'quintessential' :ROFLMAO:
100% agree with you.

Green

Emira Fiend
Reaction score

I just don't get what the Emira is. It's softer than the previous generation of Lotus cars, but designed to look like a full-on supercar. I had a deposit town and wanted to love the car. I adore my Elise SC. But the Emira - is it just for posing?
If you are looking for a very ugly car that has similar performance check out the Alpine A110. You could totally drive that and not feel like a poser.

grahamgreen

Emira Fan
Reaction score
To be fair when I first saw it I thought Ferrari / McLaren. This one of the big drivers in buying it along with my previous lotus buying history.

It’s made me turn away from Porsche and despite owning a GT4 Porsche look quite similar. This is a new breed of car; one that you can get in and out of with ease and suits the grown up me. I may well look at some of the aftermarket parts as they come along but to be fair love everything it is.

OP
Wolfram

Wolfram

Emira Fan
Reaction score
To be fair when I first saw it I thought Ferrari / McLaren. This one of the big drivers in buying it along with my previous lotus buying history.
This is what I mean. See an Exige or Elise, and without a doubt you think "Lotus". And they epitomised everything Lotus used to stand for: lightness, rawness, ultimate driving engagement. The Emira is none of those things.

kenniGT

Reaction score
You could say we are being ignored by Lotus also 🤔😅
Only big companies can afford to produce 40k sports car (ie Toyota). Small company with one model, like Lotus it has to be 60k minimum (and happens only thanks to foreign investor). Of course not everyone can afford to buy brand new sports car, but brands like Ferrari are capable to create sports car for people with smaller budget but they are not doing this. They aiming only rich people as clients. This is why I do not like Ferraris, and even if I am rich one day, will never buy one. Just do not want to support approach like that.

OP
Wolfram

Wolfram

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Company aiming only rich clients, like Ferrari, is ignoring us as clients, so... why should I care about them?
Ferrari sold 11,155 cars last year. Lotus sold 1,710. I would say Ferrari are doing something right.

I don't want to overly dump on Lotus - I've been a fan for years and, as I said, I absolutely love my Elise. I just think they got this car very wrong. It could have been a legendary last hurrah for the ICE Lotus - like Porsche went all-in with the awesome GT4RS, Chevrolet have done their thing with the C8 etc. But for some reason from Lotus we have a supercar lookalike that recycles a 15-year-old drivetrain without the refinements the later Evoras enjoyed in a softer but pretty shell... Meanwhile the likes of Alpine, KTM, BAC etc. are doing the Lotus thing way better than Lotus.

I'm genuinely annoyed. I had an early deposit in. Really wanted to love this car.

Last edited:
OP
Wolfram

Wolfram

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Of course not everyone can afford to buy brand new sports car, but brands like Ferrari are capable to create sports car for people with smaller budget but they are not doing this. They aiming only rich people as clients. This is why I do not like Ferraris, and even if I am rich one day, will never buy one. Just do not want to support approach like that.
Yes..... but then there would be Ferraris everywhere like Porsches, and everyone on this forum would complain bitterly that no matter how good the budget Ferrari is they will not buy it because they are too common! ;)

kenniGT

Reaction score
Ferrari sold 11,155 cars last year. Lotus sold 1,710. I would say Ferrari are doing something right.

I don't want to overly dump on Lotus - I've been a fan for years and, as I said, I absolutely love my Elise. I just think they got this car very wrong. It could have been a legendary last hurrah for the ICE Lotus - like Porsche went all-in with the awesome GT4RS, Chevrolet have done their thing with the C8 etc. But for some reason ffrom Lotus we have a supercar lookalike that recycles a 15-year-old drivetrain without the refinements the later Evoras enjoyed in a softer but pretty shell... Meanwhile the likes of Alpine, KTM, BAC etc. are doing the Lotus thing way better than Lotus.

I'm genuinely annoyed. I had an early deposit in. Really wanted to love this car.

Depends what you mean by doing 'something right'. Recognising there trickle down economy does not work, and rich people are getting richer is not in my eyes doing right. How many of those 11155 ferraris will hit race track? I suspect 10%, some will be used as daily driver to show status, and some end up in private collection. That is doing something right? I think Toyota GR Yaris or GR86 is doing something right. Those cars will be driven as they should be, not spending most of the time being polished.

Regarding Lotus, it is a wider problem in the UK. Manufacture is not getting enough support from local investors or government. Foreign monies needs to come, for Lotus to design new cars. Good thing is this investor want to maintain Lotus as much as possible and bring it to the future.

Germany and US, had different mindset regarding manufacture hence UK motor industry stayed behind. Alpine is Renault sport brand, so they have hedge monies behind. 110 great car, shame it is so ugly. KTM? BAC? you can not use them everyday. Toys.

Delays are a problem but... corvid, semiconductors shortage, war in Ukraine, trade war with China and.... lotus own changes - new factory, meaning that yes, there will be frustration due to delays.

kenniGT

Reaction score
Yes..... but then there would be Ferraris everywhere like Porsches, and everyone on this forum would complain bitterly that no matter how good the budget Ferrari is they will not buy it because they are too common! ;)
True, true, but like with porsche, if they good enough ,everyone would end up owning one ;)

lion shf

Emira Maniac
Reaction score

View attachment 9675
(Ferrari 812)

View attachment 9676
(Ferrari 488 Pista)

But it's got absolutely none of the performance of a Ferrari - even one from a few generations back. It doesn't even have the performance of Lotus's own outgoing final edition three E's, and lukewarm reviews where the previous E cars were pretty unanimously brilliantly received. Yet the Emira's looks have been designed to fake being a supecar, and people are lapping it up.

If the price goes up 20% I agree
If I can tune it to 500hp for under $2k I disagree

kenniGT

Reaction score
BTW, how much this Ferrari 488 cost?
Can it beat my 12k naked bike, with 1.1L engine? ;D

Capture.JPG