emira acceleration

VL3X

Staff member
Reaction score
This is last thing I saw that was actually funny on Top Gear/Tour...
😆
LMFAO! I giggled at the Starbucks part, but then completely lost it with the old lady in the crosswalk and then the carwash!!

Yeah, launch control is silly and obnoxious and everyone thinks you're a douche when using it. I can see it being a feature on Hellcats and the like for dragstrip racing, but on something like my FWD GTI, it's just silly.

Leonard

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
@Leonard that isn't true and if you spent 5 minutes on Google you could figure that out. Peak Hp is not nearly important as power under the curve. And @Mctaff I said 100-200kph. Which the Emira is slower than the e9x M3. I always take a hiatus from this place because you're all absolutely clueless and have no desire to cure your ignorance. None of what I said is debatable; the fanboyism here is that of a political party
Think what you think. But power to weight is physics. Higher it is, the faster it is. You are right though no point debating it. And yes I understand your point, but are we really going to discuss transmission losses over AWD, FWD, RWD and different gear ratios! I'm happy with a generic figure as real world be barely anything in it.
And I'm far from a fanboy on here 😅

Last edited:

SmallerBaller

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Slow is defined as being slower than any minivan.
1657223219566.png

Never heard of Bisimoto, I take it? :LOL:

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
All this not fast, too slow, gonna get beat/spanked etc..... are you guys really planning on doing max speed 0-60 runs every chance you get? Are you really going to be racing other cars on the street? I'm not buying my Emira to compete against other people. I'm buying it for me... because I like the way it looks, I like the way it sounds, and I'm sure I'll like the way it's going to drive and handle. And it has a manual trans. I don't care what others have, don't have, how fast theirs is or isn't.

Porter

tap tap... is this thing on?
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
@Leonard that isn't true and if you spent 5 minutes on Google you could figure that out. Peak Hp is not nearly important as power under the curve. And @Mctaff I said 100-200kph. Which the Emira is slower than the e9x M3. I always take a hiatus from this place because you're all absolutely clueless and have no desire to cure your ignorance. None of what I said is debatable; the fanboyism here is that of a political party
@Mctaff seems to be the only way any of you listen. I have been saying this exact tune for over 9 months and everyone acted like I was crazy. Now that the reviews are out and the performance numbers are abysmal and the reviewers echo all my sentiments people start to actually pay attention. It's pretty frustrating trying to have a conversation with others who constantly deny facts and agree with the people that are 100% wrong, with no actual data to disprove real data

You seem like an ideal BMW G22 M440i or G82 M4 customer, if a sport coupe is what you are looking for. They are BLISTERINGLY fast off the line, comfortable and ergonomic to use, and the outright speed capabilities of that platform on twisty roads and on track is just mind-bendingly high. And if you hate the new snout front end design, there's a kit to fix it. Why not just buy one of those? Or a G20 M340i / G80 M3, if you want all of that and 4-door practicality to boot.

I'm not saying any of this dismissively at all. I'm being serious. It's worthwhile to recognize that the Lotus sports car platform (now and historically) isn't about acceleration numbers or being outright faster than something else, it's squarely about driver engagement and the experience that is unlocked when a manufacturer prioritizes agility and feedback higher in the order than any nod to daily practicality. So the value proposition of the product is not as broad in appeal as Porsche, BMW, and others, because it's not as "complete" a performance product for the vast majority of car buyers who live in the real world of commute traffic and unexpected errands.

For me, the appeal of Lotus (sports cars) lies squarely in the intersection of the thing being A) unusually focused on the fine detail of the steering and chassis feedback and the experience of dynamic engagement for the driver, rather than in any external measure of speed, and B) the fact that it's quite interesting/unusual from a purist engineering and design standpoint. These make the brand an uncommonly attractive option for contrarian people who value contrarian approaches. It's the purist sports car equivalent of SAAB back in the pre-GM days, ideologically speaking. :ROFLMAO:

4GIV8M3

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Think what you think. But power to weight is physics. Higher it is, the faster it is. You are right though no point debating it. And yes I understand your point, but are we really going to discuss transmission losses over AWD, FWD, RWD and different gear ratios! I'm happy with a generic figure as real world be barely anything in it.
And I'm far from a fanboy on here 😅
Think what I think? That's not how facts work. Again, you're willfully choosing to be ignorant and are flaunting it. Good riddance. You need to research power under the curve, average power and max hp and how they all relate to performance metrics. This isn't even taking into account gearing or many of the other factors. To say 2 cars that weigh the same and have the same hp will accelerate at or around the same pace is a clear indication you have no idea what you're talking about.

@Porter I already have a very fast M3 that I love and adore. I appreciate the good and am well aware of the short comings. However when a 70k M3 can easily destroy a 90k 2 seater purpose built car on the track, in a straight line and basically every other metric there's an obvious issue. Steering feeling isn't enough

kitkat

Emira Degenerate
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Think what I think? That's not how facts work. Again, you're willfully choosing to be ignorant and are flaunting it. Good riddance. You need to research power under the curve, average power and max hp and how they all relate to performance metrics. This isn't even taking into account gearing or many of the other factors. To say 2 cars that weigh the same and have the same hp will accelerate at or around the same pace is a clear indication you have no idea what you're talking about.

@Porter I already have a very fast M3 that I love and adore. I appreciate the good and am well aware of the short comings. However when a 70k M3 can easily destroy a 90k 2 seater purpose built car on the track, in a straight line and basically every other metric there's an obvious issue. Steering feeling isn't enough

As a fellow BMW M owner, nobody is forcing you to buy an Emira.

4GIV8M3

Emira Fan
Reaction score
As a fellow BMW M owner, nobody is forcing you to buy an Emira.
You're proving my point. This forum is filled with fanboys who when shown definitive short comings of the car you respond with "No one is making you buy it". Lotus loves you all because you've been buying the same engine and transmission for a decade and now with the Emira you'll do it for another 5 years. And anytime it's directly compared to what Lotus bench marked (GTS 4.0) and gets spanked you all ignore the facts

SmallerBaller

Emira Fan
Reaction score
You're proving my point. This forum is filled with fanboys who when shown definitive short comings of the car you respond with "No one is making you buy it". Lotus loves you all because you've been buying the same engine and transmission for a decade and now with the Emira you'll do it for another 5 years. And anytime it's directly compared to what Lotus bench marked (GTS 4.0) and gets spanked you all ignore the facts
This is going to be my only contribution to this sub-argument, but if we are talking specs per price, no car will ever be able to beat superbikes. 0-60 in low 2 seconds, 1/4 mile in 10s, top speed de-limited in the 210 mph range... bought used for around $10k. But, the same reason not everyone is interested in getting a superbike is the same reason some people may value attributes of an Emira, even if the specs don't stack up compared to certain others. Personally, I would probably go for the GTS at this point, but the thought of spending all my drives in 2nd kind of ruins the point. And when it comes to new, mid-engined, manual cars... that is about the only other option. I think a lot of us would sacrifice a bit of acceleration for more time rowing gears. Truth is we probably won't know until we drive one!

Cutting42

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score

You do know that this is a Lotus Emira forum right, full of people who have paid money up front undriven and many unseen for an Emira. What do you expect when you make bold statements about "spanking or destroying"a car that has not officially had referenced laptimes or independant acceleration times released. Lotus claim less than 4.5 for 0-100 kph, who knows if that will be validated independently? Not you, me or pretty much anyone on here currently.

Your beloved M3 is widely quoted at 4.7sec 0-100kph or 4.4sec 0-60 mph as far as I can see with 414bhp. Unless you are saying that these numbers are way slower than reality then @Leonard does not seem to be making a particularly astonishing leap saying that is similar to the Emira based on weight and power. Torque on the M3 is 400nm with the Emira at 420nm so pretty close as well. Sure gearing and the shape of the power/torque curve will make a difference but not "destroying" levels surely.

I used to have a friend with an M3 E92 and I raced him a few times at traffic lights in my 300bhp 335i with a claimed 0-100kph of 5.4sec and we were always so close as to not make a difference, driver errors would always make much more difference especially in manual cars.

In a few short months we will have our Emira's and plenty of real world data and you can come back here and tell us "I told you so" if you like.

LotusB

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
My Tesla M3P is rated at 3.1 sec 0-60, I have long ago stopped worrying about 0-60 times. My M235i is a "fastish" car at around 4.8 sec and feels great as a daily driver and occasional track day. Still feels more fun to accelerate in than my Tesla despite being smoked by it in outright pace. It's not all about the speed but the sensation. The Emira at 4.3,4,5,6 or whatever is fine by me.
I know this won't be a popular opinion, but between my M2 and Model 3... I prefer the acceleration of the Model 3. It's effortless, goes as fast as I want instantly, etc. Awesome for blowing by traffic. It's smooth too, with no drama. It feels like exactly what you'd want in a luxury car. I've never been in a Rolls Royce, but the Model 3 is the type of acceleration I'd expect from it: smooth!

M2 has more drama, more engagement (manual), etc. But it feels relatively slow and I'm not a huge fan of the turbo lag, suspension and especially steering. I think the Emira will fix everything "wrong" with the M2 and look a lot better too. I'm over BMW... but at this point there are few cars I'd give up Tesla's for. At least for a daily driver.

Any kind of Tesla as a daily and a 2-seater Emira for fun... great combo, IMO :)

CarGuy07

Emira Fan
Reaction score
M2 has more drama, more engagement (manual), etc. But it feels relatively slow and I'm not a huge fan of the turbo lag, suspension and especially steering. I think the Emira will fix everything "wrong" with the M2 and look a lot better too. I'm over BMW... but at this point there are few cars I'd give up Tesla's for. At least for a daily driver. :)
M2 is slow compared to what, the Tesla? If so, then I can understand. Otherwise, it should be quite a bit quicker compared to the Emira.