• The June 2024 Lotus Emira of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 June 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Driver seat issue

Tobiasz17azs

Emira Fan
Reaction score
My car has just 200 miles + Just discovered today this leather issue . I’m not fat ! But something like this happened to my side probably from the plastic on the side . Something like this should be covered my warranty ?

Attachments

• IMG_0112.mov
    17.4 MB
OP
Tobiasz17azs

Tobiasz17azs

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Wondering what dealership going to say about it . I got ocd so I know I can’t live with it

OP
Tobiasz17azs

Tobiasz17azs

Emira Fan
Reaction score
I plan to address this issue with my dealership on Monday. Yesterday, while seated in my car, I noticed that the 'leather' material isn't even touching the plastic. The wrinkles in the material seem to be causing it to deteriorate

SJones

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I plan to address this issue with my dealership on Monday. Yesterday, while seated in my car, I noticed that the 'leather' material isn't even touching the plastic. The wrinkles in the material seem to be causing it to deteriorate
Our car has 600 miles and noticed the same thing on both seats. Neither my wife or I are close to overweight. It appears that the black plastic has a sharp edge where it faces the leather. While the plastic does not contact the leather while you are sitting square on the seat, when the lower bolster is pushed down while getting in and out of the seat (unavoidable) the leather is pushed into the plastic, chaffing it. This is our sixth Lotus and none of the prior ones ( or any other car) have issues like this. Another of the many trips to the dealer over warranty issues is in our future. Most of our mileage has been made going to the dealer or body shop to fix crap like this

OP
Tobiasz17azs

Tobiasz17azs

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Our car has 600 miles and noticed the same thing on both seats. Neither my wife or I are close to overweight. It appears that the black plastic has a sharp edge where it faces the leather. While the plastic does not contact the leather while you are sitting square on the seat, when the lower bolster is pushed down while getting in and out of the seat (unavoidable) the leather is pushed into the plastic, chaffing it. This is our sixth Lotus and none of the prior ones ( or any other car) have issues like this. Another of the many trips to the dealer over warranty issues is in our future. Most of our mileage has been made going to the dealer or body shop to fix crap like this
Would you mind to share a photos ? I’m going to dealership this upcoming weeks to adress the issue

NoFear99

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Unfortunately from the pictures that I have seen so far, the leather seem to be fragile and get old fast.

OP
Tobiasz17azs

Tobiasz17azs

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Unfortunately from the pictures that I have seen so far, the leather seem to be fragile and get old fast.
I was driving car 4 times and something like this happened. It’s not acceptable for that amount of money lol

NoFear99

Emira Fan
Reaction score
I was driving car 4 times and something like this happened. It’s not acceptable for that amount of money lol
I agree even if I am a lotus fanboy.
I’ve put meguiars leather conditioner on mine and will do it on a regular basis to hydrate leather as much as I can. 🤞

OP
Tobiasz17azs

Tobiasz17azs

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Thats sad :( please share a pics how’s yours side looks like

OP
Tobiasz17azs

Tobiasz17azs

Emira Fan
Reaction score
I agree even if I am a lotus fanboy.
I’ve put meguiars leather conditioner on mine and will do it on a regular basis to hydrate leather as much as I can. 🤞
I had my leather conditioner since day one . I have ocd , my car is fully ppfed, ceramic coated . Always clean never seen rain . I’m really crazy about things like that and for me this wear out it’s not acceptable

Danny91364USA

Reaction score
Yes, i did post a solution, i think works....... on Facebook. See photos and video on facebook too large to upload here.

Attachments

• IMG_8739.jpeg
    IMG_8739.jpeg
    288 KB · Views: 165
  • IMG_8740.jpeg
    IMG_8740.jpeg
    259 KB · Views: 163
  • IMG_8743.jpeg
    IMG_8743.jpeg
    154.5 KB · Views: 163
OP
Tobiasz17azs

Tobiasz17azs

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Yes, i did post a solution, i think works....... on Facebook. See photos and video on facebook too large to upload here.
This is not a solution. How can you buy a car for 100k and after 100 miles have seat issue like this ? By putting shower seat at your seats ? For me it’s a solution for Honda accord not for this car

virtualmacho

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Did the UK/JP/AUS owners run into this issue? This is the first I have heard of this.

Edit: would a rubber molding like this help to prevent the sharp edge from digging into the leather:

Amazon product
I just dropped the car off at the dealer for scheduled maintenance (mandatory 6 month checkup) and will take a close look when I go pick it up in the evening. I do think the molding will help the scraping if any, but could worsen the creasing...
(btw the "com" is missing from the link) ==> I see it's fixed now.

[edit] I picked up my car and checked. Both driver and passenger sides look OK for now, but there is a line where the plastic meets the leather and could develop into deep scratches and creases. The black leather seats in the showroom car looked pretty much the same. Maybe we're better off here in Japan because of the humidity? If so, could be a similar situation in the UK.

[edit2] mileage 3,200km (2,000 miles)

PXL_20240513_075336671.RAW-01.COVER.jpg

PXL_20240513_075424916.RAW-01.COVER.jpg

Last edited:

NigeT

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Doesnt appear on my driver's seat edge. Although the center of the seat cushion shows some bagginess.
Nappa leather is quite soft & I suppose not as tough as normal leather. 2k miles
IMG_3461.JPG

Last edited:

Time2Fly

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Instead of putting in weatherstrip, would it be possible to just press the bolster to the side a little and smooth up the plastic edge of the seat? Not that we should have to be doing this as it's finishing the quality on something that should have been done prior to sale.