• The June 2024 Lotus Emira of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 June 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Driver seat issue

seriously

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Instead of putting in weatherstrip, would it be possible to just press the bolster to the side a little and smooth up the plastic edge of the seat? Not that we should have to be doing this as it's finishing the quality on something that should have been done prior to sale.
Hmm... I think the weather stripping will do a better job as it will made that edge broader. Based on the pics it looks like a design / materials flaw. Even the poster that said they have no issues, has faint crease lines. I think many modern cars actually use synthetic leather on the sides and back of the seats for these durability kind of issues.

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
My car has just 200 miles + Just discovered today this leather issue . I’m not fat ! But something like this happened to my side probably from the plastic on the side . Something like this should be covered my warranty ?
At first I thought it was the plastic piece chaffing against the leather, which would mean the leather is moving vertically, but after looking at mine, it's pretty snug. I had to use some pressure to get my finger inbetween the leather and the plastic. I checked and the plastic piece on mine is smooth along that edge, so it wouldn't cause that kind of damage to the leather.

I think what's happening on your seat is the leather isn't moving vertically, it's bulging outward which is causing the surface to start cracking along the bulge crease. That's the kind of thing you usually only see on pleather (plastic leather), where the surface is different from what it's attached to so as it's stretched, the surface shows stress cracks like that. Real leather isn't going to do that unless it's very very dry which means it can't flex very well.

I would definitely bring this up to the dealer, but a temporary fix might be a good leather conditioner. Meguiars makes some good leather care products for cars. http://www.meguiars.com

SJones

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Instead of putting in weatherstrip, would it be possible to just press the bolster to the side a little and smooth up the plastic edge of the seat? Not that we should have to be doing this as it's finishing the quality on something that should have been done prior to sale.
We took ours to the dealer today to start a claim-
no idea yet if lotus will accept it. Have not had good luck before with lotus. Took a damp piece of paper and laid it between the leather and the plastic trim piece then pushed the bolster against the plastic as a test, sure enough the plastic acted like a carrot grater. There is a sharpish edge , and the trim piece cannot be pulled away to any degree.

OP
Tobiasz17azs

Tobiasz17azs

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Mine has this as well. I noticed it around 1000 miles. Haven’t done anything yet.
Would you share a photos
We took ours to the dealer today to start a claim-
no idea yet if lotus will accept it. Have not had good luck before with lotus. Took a damp piece of paper and laid it between the leather and the plastic trim piece then pushed the bolster against the plastic as a test, sure enough the plastic acted like a carrot grater. There is a sharpish edge , and the trim piece cannot be pulled away to any degree.
would you mind of sharing pics how yours seats looks

OP
Tobiasz17azs

Tobiasz17azs

Emira Fan
Reaction score
At first I thought it was the plastic piece chaffing against the leather, which would mean the leather is moving vertically, but after looking at mine, it's pretty snug. I had to use some pressure to get my finger inbetween the leather and the plastic. I checked and the plastic piece on mine is smooth along that edge, so it wouldn't cause that kind of damage to the leather.

I think what's happening on your seat is the leather isn't moving vertically, it's bulging outward which is causing the surface to start cracking along the bulge crease. That's the kind of thing you usually only see on pleather (plastic leather), where the surface is different from what it's attached to so as it's stretched, the surface shows stress cracks like that. Real leather isn't going to do that unless it's very very dry which means it can't flex very well.

I would definitely bring this up to the dealer, but a temporary fix might be a good leather conditioner. Meguiars makes some good leather care products for cars. http://www.meguiars.com
I think you’re right . I don’t think after 4 times of driving plastic would do
Something like this . I addressed few issues already to dealer . 1 tpms light stays on . Driver seat and some
Rattling noise while turning . This is not what I expected from
New car . It is just simply sad

Cymrulad

Reaction score
My car has just 200 miles + Just discovered today this leather issue . I’m not fat ! But something like this happened to my side probably from the plastic on the side . Something like this should be covered my warranty ?
I had the exact same issue and Lotus sorted it under warranty. I came across a video yesterday where someone had used a piece of shower rubber pushed between the plastic housing and the seat leather which seemed to be a clever solution

Kammi

Reaction score
The plastic cover for the seat adjustment on my driver's seat even broke off.

Was reported during the inspection in April, to date no response from my dealer / Lotus..

Greetings

OP
Tobiasz17azs

Tobiasz17azs

Emira Fan
Reaction score
The plastic cover for the seat adjustment on my driver's seat even broke off.

Was reported during the inspection in April, to date no response from my dealer / Lotus..

Greetings

Yeah let’s see how long I’m gonna wait for answer . Some guy on facebook he said he had similar issue and they replaced his seat .

SteveB

Emira Fan
Reaction score
I have a simple solution to this problem. After reading this thread I remembered I had some rubber edge trim I have used before to protect panel edges. Works really well, not particularly visible and took 5 mins to do both seats.
D8FD87FC-4328-442C-83B1-8D8D8C041201.jpeg
9C572CB3-C2BF-4A1A-931E-615C922A3789.jpeg

OP
Tobiasz17azs

Tobiasz17azs

Emira Fan
Reaction score
OP
Tobiasz17azs

Tobiasz17azs

Emira Fan
Reaction score

seriously

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
I have a simple solution to this problem. After reading this thread I remembered I had some rubber edge trim I have used before to protect panel edges. Works really well, not particularly visible and took 5 mins to do both seats.View attachment 43500View attachment 43501
Feels like the best solution. Probably better than what the dealer comes up with. As another poster said, please post link for us non-handy folks. Thanks!

OP
Tobiasz17azs

Tobiasz17azs

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Feels like the best solution. Probably better than what the dealer comes up with. As another poster said, please post link for us non-handy folks. Thanks!

I sent you link brother . But for me it’s not a solution . Wtf buying car for that amount of money and I need to put edges protectors or seals from
Shower ? I don’t even think in my case that was this plastic . It’s just cheap material or some defect shit

SteveB

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Link to The Metal House website. I used the smallest size 6mm x 3mm.

CHEESE

Emira Fan
Reaction score
As I was getting into my Emira today, I remembered this thread and realized that I naturally avoided putting pressure on that bolster without even thinking about it. Hopefully that means mine will hold up for a while.

Aero

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I have a simple solution to this problem. After reading this thread I remembered I had some rubber edge trim I have used before to protect panel edges. Works really well, not particularly visible and took 5 mins to do both seats.View attachment 43500View attachment 43501
Gonna check mine tonight and prob do this anyway. Did you have to put any adhesive inside the C channel seal to make it look that nice? Wonder if there is a similar trim panel and issue on the inside of the seats on the center console side. Not seen of course but could fatigue it.

Last edited: