Disabling steering wheel touch controls?

Porter

tap tap... is this thing on?
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Has anyone figured out how to do this yet? Seems like the most needed interior mod for driver sanity.

digilotus

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I would like to be able to do that too as I'm not a fan of haptic controls on steering wheels.

Although unsubstantiated, I heard that this configuration option might be coming in a future software update. I certainly hope it does.

Superman

Emira Owner!!
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Oh, I really hope this is disableable by the time mine arrives - Touch controls on steering wheels are a really, really bad idea, and totally unnecessary!

Reactions: ADC

nelly111s

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I would like to be able to do that too as I'm not a fan of haptic controls on steering wheels.

Although unsubstantiated, I heard that this configuration option might be coming in a future software update. I certainly hope it does.
I suspect that's wishful thinking on someone's behalf. If they're busy getting software fixes out for stuff that should work, but doesn't, it'll be a couple of years before they get round to "enhancements".

Nova

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Another vote to disable it. I drove a rental MB recently with one of their new gen steering wheels with all touch controls - not just the little square area. It was terrible. I was discovering features I had no intetest in discovering.

Kimmax

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
One can only hope it's distinguishable signals from the pad and not baked into the hardware. Coming from a software development background this shouldn't be a big problem at all, even for extended automotive quality control (lol).

Toomanyloti

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
unless i have not noticed with mine its clicks all the way?

Because the steering wheel is a 'silly' shape i have pressed random buttons but its not 'Haptic' as in the Taycan screens.

Again i was worried about the controls on the wheel but its fine stop stressing.

Miles better than I thought it would be.

Nova

Emira Addict
Reaction score
One can only hope it's distinguishable signals from the pad and not baked into the hardware. Coming from a software development background this shouldn't be a big problem at all, even for extended automotive quality control (lol).
Well, for certain it's distinguishable st the signal level. The potential issue is that the capacitive touch solution chip is likely right under the touch controls or somewhere nearby. That same capacitive touch chip may have inputs for physical keys, or the physical key chips are separate but also nearby. There is then a microcontroller of some sort that is programmed to send the touch/key signals to the main computer. This touch/physical key module may not have a firmware that's upgradeable after the fact.

Toomanyloti

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
can we put this thread to bed as the steering wheel controls are defo NOT touch sensitive.
I just went in the garage to sit in my car and check.
They are buttons in the sense they need to be pressed to a click.

kitkat

Emira Degenerate
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
can we put this thread to bed as the steering wheel controls are defo NOT touch sensitive.
Literally the first time I've heard that they are not touch sensitive.

Now I'm confused.

Toomanyloti

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Don't be its true all buttons. In fact I'll do a video tomorrow.
Also....the centre screen is not truly 'haptic' or at all compared to the Taycan HVAC screen which defo is and has the distinctive vibration (if thats the correct term to use) as one clicks around.
if 'twirling the wheel' then its very easy to press something which, on a sportscar, is I think completely retarded. The shape doesn't help either but its a rare occurrance.
Touch controls on a wheel have to be right up there with piano black inside a vehicle as being THE daftest idea known to man. When i find a vinyl 'man' i'm getting that nonsense on the centre console covered with HY. In fact may even get them painted harking back to my GT3 Esprit (y)

Toomanyloti

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
sorry I stand corrected the 'o' button is swipeable. I tried in the car earlier and it didnt do anything so I assume the engine may need to be running.
Regardless its never been a bother. Pressing works fine (y)
PS the 'o' button is the centre dimple in the pads either side of the wheel centre on the horizontal spokes
Looks like its just these nothing else.

OP
Porter

Porter

tap tap... is this thing on?
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Yours would be the only ones, if that was the case. It's literally been one of the top negative points in reviews because of people brushing their hands across the controls and it instantly selecting multiple points of input. People have described turning the wheel hand-over-hand in a tight roundabout or switchback, and brushing the touch controls with their palm causing the stereo to change tracks or start/stop, sometimes at high volume.

If yours aren't touch sensitive, it would be the first I've heard of one.

Toomanyloti

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Yours would be the only ones, if that was the case. It's literally been one of the top negative points in reviews because of people brushing their hands across the controls and it instantly selecting multiple points of input. People have described turning the wheel hand-over-hand in a tight roundabout or switchback, and brushing the touch controls with their palm causing the stereo to change tracks or start/stop, sometimes at high volume.

If yours aren't touch sensitive, it would be the first I've heard of one.
I just downloaded the manual to check. All references to swiping are related to the centre dimple or the ‘O’. I’ll have a mess with it in the morning when it’s running 1800+ miles in and not noticed a problem with them

Pugwash

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
You can swipe the volume control. Swiping down from the top mutes the sound.

Toomanyloti

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Sorry guys I'm a complete nob!
As Pugwash says thats defo what the volume does as I tried it on the way into work this morning. I will have another play with it on the way home. Swiping across the 'O' in the centre appears to mimic pressing the arrows....
Sorry again @Porter . I had not noticed the feature.
Probably distracted by the soundtrack of that V6 exhaust 🤡

Toomanyloti

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I'm sure this is a total waste of time but I took a couple of vids to demo the touch controls.
Absolutely and completely pointless tat if you ask me. I see no use for it at all whatsoever and if it could be disabled and burned in a fire forever please let me know. (y)