❔ QUESTION Is it weird I wish the steering felt heavier?

luciddaydream

Emira Fan
Reaction score
I thought the car would have a heavy, "go-cart" style steering feel to it, due to the hydrolic steering.
But at high speeds, it seems almost lighter than a porsche 911.

Is there a way to make it feel a bit heavier?
I was hoping it would feel what I remember my 997 porsche felt like.

But perhaps my memory is wrong.

And maybe a desire for a heavier feeling steering is not a good thing?

Pegasi

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
No, I never have.
The Evora GT is about the most go-kart I have experienced in any car. But that also had to do with the feel of the whole car. The Emira wasn't quite as heavy but close IMO. I will let others with more experience chime in.

cyanmauve

Emira Fan
Reaction score
I’m not sure there’s an easier way to make the steering feel “heavier” if heavier means more resistance or force to turn the steering wheel.

Do you mean more force when you say heavier, or more feedback?

OP
luciddaydream

luciddaydream

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Yes I would like

more force to steer the wheel
more feedback
more nimble
even less wheel play

Any way to do this?

kitkat

Emira Degenerate
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
I don't think I'd want heavier steering personally but if that's what you want to chase you can kill two birds with one stone -- get wheels with lower offsets.

Wheels with lower offsets will look more concave typically, they'll look more flush and thus more aggressive, and they'll also increase your scrub radius which means you'll need more steering effort and fighting the wheel more. Downside is you'll need to balance increased offset with clearance requirements.

I can't say I recommend personally recommend chasing it via these means.

cyanmauve

Emira Fan
Reaction score
I’m sure it’s possible, but making big changes is likely to be expensive and very much trial and error.

The easiest and least expensive way would probably be trying different alignment settings and playing with tire pressure.

To mechanically make the steering quicker, you could possibly change the steering ratio. This would mean altering the ring:pinion ratio within the steering rack. I imagine this would be rather expensive to do, as it would involve finding a motor sports company to disassemble a stock unit, and make custom parts. I have read about it being done for other vehicles.

The Emira GT4 maybe have some unique parts that could be used too.

Adam Brouillard

Reaction score
Yes I would like

more force to steer the wheel
more feedback
more nimble
even less wheel play

Any way to do this?
Not exactly sure what you are after with "more feedback" and "more nimble", but you can increase the self aligning force on the steering to the direction of travel by getting an alignment with more caster and more toe-in. As kitkat mentioned, you can also increase steering effort with increasing scrub radius although spacers might be a more economical solution than new wheels. This will create an aligning force centered on the car rather than the direction of travel, but this really only makes a difference if you are oversteering. The scrub radius increase will also increase the steering wheel kick over bumps as well so not sure if you want that or not. Hope this helps.

Last edited:

KCMO68_510

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Not exactly sure what you are after with "more feedback" and "more nimble", but you can increase the self aligning force on the steering to the direction of travel by getting an alignment with more caster and more toe-in. As kitkat mentioned, you can also increase steering effort with increasing scrub radius although spacers might be a more economical solution than new wheels. This will create an aligning force centered on the car rather than the direction of travel, but this really only makes a difference if you are oversteering. The scrub radius increase will also increase the steering wheel kick over bumps as well so not sure if you want that or not. Hope this helps.
Well put.