Finding the steering really heavy at low / no speed

donskibeat

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Hi

I think this is probably a "lotus" thing, but I am really finding the steering heavy when doing any low speed manoeuvring. It is perfectly fine when driving normally.

My driveway is quite small, so often have to do quite a lot of jiggling around to get parked correctly, so trying to turn the steering when car not moving compared to any other car I have owned is hard work.

Now before the sarky comments start, yes I am female, and yes I am only small, so sensible comments only please and no p%$$ taking!.

Previous cars I have owned have never been a problem, but I find with the Lotus it stresses me out if I know where I am going will involve any low speed manoeuvring, and it shouldn't be like that.

Can anything be done to improve it? I know for example with a 911 you can add "Power Steering Plus" to lighten it, is there any third party fixes to help on a Lotus?

Thanks

Aero

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
It may be identical to this owners experience. I dont think you should be struggling if its working properly.

OP
D

donskibeat

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
It may be identical to this owners experience. I dont think you should be struggling if its working properly.
No I don't think it is the same thing as that owner noticed it when driving round roundabouts etc as well and I can drive it find when it is moving, it is only low or no speed manoeuvring

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
Hi

I think this is probably a "lotus" thing, but I am really finding the steering heavy when doing any low speed manoeuvring. It is perfectly fine when driving normally.

My driveway is quite small, so often have to do quite a lot of jiggling around to get parked correctly, so trying to turn the steering when car not moving compared to any other car I have owned is hard work.

Now before the sarky comments start, yes I am female, and yes I am only small, so sensible comments only please and no p%$$ taking!.

Previous cars I have owned have never been a problem, but I find with the Lotus it stresses me out if I know where I am going will involve any low speed manoeuvring, and it shouldn't be like that.

Can anything be done to improve it? I know for example with a 911 you can add "Power Steering Plus" to lighten it, is there any third party fixes to help on a Lotus?

Thanks
Have the dealer check the power steering fluid level? Or at least have them look at it?

OP
D

donskibeat

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Have the dealer check the power steering fluid level? Or at least have them look at it?
It has been into dealer recently anyway for all the brakes to be replaced and they didn't notice / comment on anything. Speaking to others I think it is a "lotus" thing due to the hydraulic steering as I know it has been mentioned on previous models, hence why I didn't think it was a fault with my car as such

Porter

tap tap... is this thing on?
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
It has been into dealer recently anyway for all the brakes to be replaced and they didn't notice / comment on anything. Speaking to others I think it is a "lotus" thing due to the hydraulic steering as I know it has been mentioned on previous models, hence why I didn't think it was a fault with my car as such
I didn't notice this during my test drives. Do you have any other Emira owners local to you that could let you try theirs?

OP
D

donskibeat

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I didn't notice this during my test drives. Do you have any other Emira owners local to you that could let you try theirs?
Not that I know of, but will have to speak to local dealer and get them to check it out then - was convinced it was just a Lotus thing from discussions I have had, but now you have all got me thinking perhaps not, but would be odd for it not to have been picked up when it was in for recent work if so.

Last edited:

Aero

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
You could also try this: Turn the car to ON and dont start it. Try to turn the wheels and if the steering feels exactly the same (difficultly) as with the engine running then the power steering pump may not be working correctly. You could also try this without it running and rolling down a small hill (big open parking lot) to see if feels the same at walking speeds.
The suggestion of getting someone else with an Emira to test it and you test theirs would be ideal as well.

VL3X

Staff member
Reaction score
Sounds like an issue with the power steering pump. Check fluid asap. The steering at low speeds on my Evora GT and during numerous Emira test drives has been fine. I've had vehicles before with no power steering and that's certainly a forearm workout. It shouldn't be difficult at all with working power steering.

OP
D

donskibeat

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Sounds like an issue with the power steering pump. Check fluid asap. The steering at low speeds on my Evora GT and during numerous Emira test drives has been fine. I've had vehicles before with no power steering and that's certainly a forearm workout. It shouldn't be difficult at all with working power steering.
If pump or low fluid then wouldn't I have issues at all speeds not just when standing still, or very low speeds like when parking? as when driving normally it is perfectly fine, even when going round roundabouts or driving round a carpark etc, it is only when in driveway for example and doing a three point turn to get into parking space, so when try to turn steering when not moving at all, or moving at snails pace.

Porter

tap tap... is this thing on?
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
If pump or low fluid then wouldn't I have issues at all speeds not just when standing still, or very low speeds like when parking? as when driving normally it is perfectly fine, even when going round roundabouts or driving round a carpark etc, it is only when in driveway for example and doing a three point turn to get into parking space, so when try to turn steering when not moving at all, or moving at snails pace.
Not necessarily. On the move the power steering pump is running at a higher rpm, and fluid pressure stays higher even during dips and decelerations. At very low speed the car is closer to idling, plus many cars have a change in assist (usually via a valve in the rack) at very low speeds. I don't know if the Emira has that type of variable assist, but if so it's a potential candidate for the root cause.

kitkat

Emira Degenerate
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Low speed / stopped steering wheel maneuverability and effort of the steering wheel wasn't any harder than other hydraulic racks or even electric assisted racks I've used in the past. No "small female" should have issues with it whatsoever.

Hell4Leather

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Low speed / stopped steering wheel maneuverability and effort of the steering wheel wasn't any harder than other hydraulic racks or even electric assisted racks I've used in the past. No "small female" should have issues with it whatsoever.
Correct. If it feels different, it’s wrong. Continued use can cause additional harm.

OP
D

donskibeat

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
can anyone give me rough idea of where in the engine bay the power steering fluid is located so I can check it - thanks

kitkat

Emira Degenerate
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
can anyone give me rough idea of where in the engine bay the power steering fluid is located so I can check it - thanks
1700183385653.png

You'll need to remove the right hand (passenger side) wheel liner to even check the fluid level, you can't check the level via the engine bay as it is tucked away. This needs to be done with the engine off and on with the steering wheel lock to lock on both sides.

Also even if the level is fine you could have an air pocket in the line somewhere which could cause some weirdness too. These systems need to be bled with a mityvac with the right cap to form a seal.

danmessy

Reaction score
I think this is probably a "lotus" thing, but I am really finding the steering heavy when doing any low speed manoeuvring. It is perfectly fine when driving normally
Hi,
Yes - I have this issue at very low speed - usually parking etc (but it is not 100% of the time). Some days steering is fine at any speed, other days its fighting me and can make a "groaning" noise too. No issue when moving more than a few km/h, definitely no issue at normal driving speed.

I took it to my local dealer, who agreed that something was not right. I believe they also replicated the issue because he said something along the lines of "at full lock you can get some noise, but what I heard was not that". I queried safety as I wanted to track the car for the first time, though has obvious concerns the steering would just "fight" if something failed.

Coincidently with timing, yesterday I was asked to return the car this coming Monday as parts have now arrived - 3 TPMS sensors (unrelated to steering comments above) and to fix the steering I am told. I believe a replacement power steering pump was on order - I need to clarify. It has taken some time, though I have been kept in the loop.

I do note that sometimes at very low speed, there is absolutely no issue at all and the steering is, in comparison to when there is an 'groaning' issue, as smooth as silk.

Edit: my build was March 2023 with a June 2023 delivery (Australia)

VL3X

Staff member
Reaction score
The faulty PS issue has been reported by many early owners and Lotus is aware. I've been told it's an issue with the actual lines and not necessarily the pump. Bring it back to the dealer.

Nick in Sydney

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
I don't think this is "just a Lotus thing." I haven't experienced it at all on my Emira.

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
The faulty PS issue has been reported by many early owners and Lotus is aware. I've been told it's an issue with the actual lines and not necessarily the pump. Bring it back to the dealer.
It’s a problem with both. The failure mode for the power steering pump can cause metal particles to get into the lines and other parts of the system. This can mean major work is necessary to replace the lines and other components. I know of cars that had the pump replaced but then had to go back later as the lines needing doing too.

I’d suggest asking the dealer to look at the fluid level, pump and the rest of the system. It’s a known issue.

OP
D

donskibeat

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
View attachment 33467

You'll need to remove the right hand (passenger side) wheel liner to even check the fluid level, you can't check the level via the engine bay as it is tucked away. This needs to be done with the engine off and on with the steering wheel lock to lock on both sides.

Also even if the level is fine you could have an air pocket in the line somewhere which could cause some weirdness too. These systems need to be bled with a mityvac with the right cap to form a seal.
Thanks, something for the dealer to be checking then rather than me!