• We are conducting our first ever Lotus Emira of the Month for May 2024. This will be a monthly contest and will be submissions from users, voted for by the membership. Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 May 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Diaries of the first Lotus Emira picked up from Hethel - V6 FE - yellow / ice / silver / sport

OP
S

shaank

Emira Fan
Reaction score
I hope Lotus gets that sorted out quickly friend -- 116C is hottttt.

Hope so too.... Booked in 2nd May, earliest time they had. So I'm glad I at least can provide them a list of what is needed (hopefully they accept the info / engineers report) so can order up parts in advance.

Fingers crossed... because track day booked on 4th May.

OP
S

shaank

Emira Fan
Reaction score
While the Emira is sitting about with it's overheating issue not yet resolved...... feast your eyes on this epic video taken a couple of weeks ago! Easily up there with the best promotional stuff I've seen for the Emira, and it's not even an official lotus creation.

ADC

Just Jazzed About Being On The Show
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
While the Emira is sitting about with it's overheating issue not yet resolved...... feast your eyes on this epic video taken a couple of weeks ago! Easily up there with the best promotional stuff I've seen for the Emira, and it's not even an official lotus creation.

My initial reaction was "where tf are those bird noises coming from?", but that is Very Nice Work, sir. 😄

BeHappy

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Fantastic scenery and very professional could deffo be used as official promo - so glad you slowed down for the sheep 👍

OP
S

shaank

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Cheers guys, loved the way the video has turned out!

In other news - car still off the road due to the overheating issue. Just waiting for Lotus to look at it (early May). Track day 4th May, probably have to cancel / pull out of that one like I did in April due to the overheating issue....

M4 and Porsche proving reliable so they are getting used however.

Getting a bit fed up of it now. Autotrader is on my screen often....

digilotus

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner

In other news - car still off the road due to the overheating issue. Just waiting for Lotus to look at it (early May). Track day 4th May, probably have to cancel / pull out of that one like I did in April due to the overheating issue....

That’s very poor.. I would expect a quick turnaround on such an issue!

K_Squared

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner

I'm 2 hours away from the nearest Lotus dealership so this kind of story is disheartening. I hope it's an isolated issue that they get fixed for you quickly.

Lotustoronto

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order

Sorry to hear, looks like Lotus have a long way to go in regards to turn around time on warranty repairs.

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner

Maybe reach out to Scott? He seems to be able to get things done quickly. Since your car was the first one picked up from Hethel, I would think there would be some interest in making that memorable in a positive way.

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
There are a few things you can do to check over-heating issues. First thing I used to check was the radiator cap. You'd be surprised at how often that was the issue. Is the spring in it stuck and not allowing the heated water to release and circulate? Is it the right spring pressure? It should say on the cap what the release pressure it's rated for is. If it's stuck or too strong, it won't allow for proper coolant release and circulation. Sometimes that can be fixed with a cap that has a lower pressure rating. When the water gets to a certain temperature level, the pressure is supposed to compress the spring in the cap, which allows the hot water to 'boil over' into the upper hoses and allow fresh coolant to circulate in from the bottom. Check the upper and lower hoses. Is there a blocked hose, or a hose that's bent or kinked in such a way as to restrict flow?

A radiator shop (or dealer) should be able to run a pressure test on the system to see if it's working properly. If there are no leaks, it could be something blocking coolant flow. The electric fans help to a point, but they're mostly for when you're stopped and there's no airflow through the radiator. The temperature sensor triggers the fans, but the circulation system is still supposed to be functioning.

Emirahep

Emira Fan
Reaction score

Awesome video ! Good luck getting your car back/fixed…

OP
S

shaank

Emira Fan
Reaction score
There are a few things you can do to check over-heating issues. First thing I used to check was the radiator cap. You'd be surprised at how often that was the issue. Is the spring in it stuck and not allowing the heated water to release and circulate? Is it the right spring pressure? It should say on the cap what the release pressure it's rated for is. If it's stuck or too strong, it won't allow for proper coolant release and circulation. Sometimes that can be fixed with a cap that has a lower pressure rating. When the water gets to a certain temperature level, the pressure is supposed to compress the spring in the cap, which allows the hot water to 'boil over' into the upper hoses and allow fresh coolant to circulate in from the bottom. Check the upper and lower hoses. Is there a blocked hose, or a hose that's bent or kinked in such a way as to restrict flow?

A radiator shop (or dealer) should be able to run a pressure test on the system to see if it's working properly. If there are no leaks, it could be something blocking coolant flow. The electric fans help to a point, but they're mostly for when you're stopped and there's no airflow through the radiator. The temperature sensor triggers the fans, but the circulation system is still supposed to be functioning.
It's been looked at by an independent garage - it's the front fan that is broken, it doesn't trigger when it should. Just waiting on Lotus replacing it. At least I know the issue, just got to wait now till the Lotus dealership have time to look at it / get the parts etc.

OP
S

shaank

Emira Fan
Reaction score
UPDATE ON FRONT FAN / OVERHEATING ISSUE

Oh dear.

So it was booked in (5 weeks ago) for this week to have the front fan replaced. Lotus HQ sent up a replacement fan in advance, Glasgow Lotus went to fit it - turns out it's not actually the fan at fault, but the WIRING to the fan. And that wiring is front wiring loom, not just a small part to the fan. So it's a huge job. What's wrong with it? Corrosion due to water damage. HOW!? :(

2nd track day paid for and missed today as a result (May 4th).
NC500 trip done in a Mini courtesy car instead of the Lotus.
2 weeks off work, no Lotus to enjoy / all plans with it obviously cancelled.

Will I get the lotus back this month? Who knows now, thoroughly fed up. Can't fault Lotus Glasgow, or Lotus HQ, they've both done great getting parts in advance - but it's so annoying it needs something else and that it's such a huge job that the requires the front end to come apart.

Last edited:

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
UPDATE ON FRONT FAN / OVERHEATING ISSUE

Oh dear.

So it was booked in (5 weeks ago) for this week to have the front fan replaced. Lotus HQ sent up a replacement fan in advance, Glasgow Lotus went to fit it - turns out it's not actually the fan at fault, but the WIRING to the fan. And that wiring is front wiring loom, not just a small part to the fan. So it's a huge job. What's wrong with it? Corrosion due to water damage. HOW!? :(

2nd track day paid for and missed today as a result (May 4th).
NC500 trip done in a Mini courtesy car instead of the Lotus.
2 weeks off work, no Lotus to enjoy / all plans with it obviously cancelled.

Will I get the lotus back this month? Who knows now, thoroughly fed up. Can't fault Lotus Glasgow, or Lotus HQ, they've both done great getting parts in advance - but it's so annoying it needs something else and that it's such a huge job that the requires the front end to come apart.
I can't imagine that happened while it was in the car. The looms are supposed to be sealed so they DON'T have that issue. It could have happened at the sub-contractor's who assembled it before it was sent to Lotus. What a mess. I'm SO SORRY you're having to go through this.

OP
S

shaank

Emira Fan
Reaction score
I hope no one cancels any orders based on any issues I have had. Still love this car - but it's testing my patience a bit clearly🙃

Lotustoronto

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Sorry to hear that - water corrosion after 6-7 months of ownership. Terrible. I hope it all works out for you. It is disheartening to hear, but with how long certain parts were stored for before production began, this may be limited to certain early cars.