Colour advice please!

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Snap! We may have been there at the same time :)

IMG_7617.JPG

BeHappy

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Don't stress too much, even if it trends toward "burgundy" in low light, it just raises the classiness in my opinion. Think of it like a billiards 7 ball.

View attachment 3222
For me any burgundy tones and I simply could not choose that colour, it’s a sports car sorry but burgundy is for very mature people IMO. It’s like Mazda colour I’m sure many mature people love it but not for me. On the billiards ball I don’t see burgundy

Attachments

• A6A2C073-9E1D-4DD2-B8AE-3EB70AB69D4C.jpeg
    A6A2C073-9E1D-4DD2-B8AE-3EB70AB69D4C.jpeg
    517.9 KB · Views: 44
OP
EmiraMike

EmiraMike

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Agonising over colour choice is a big part of the route to purchase.

I have often found seeing a colour in the flesh can completely alter my take......is it a lemon or buttery yellow.......is it a post box red or, brown or blue red ( you now know I no nothing about colours!). Is it a purple blue or....

Interiors have some 'do not do' combinations.....like an orange leather interior with a Volcano Red exterior Mclaren......I kid you not.

So get to see in the flesh and ask the experts.

Not much help I guess
E7E5295D-1B35-4E5A-81C7-6D30F1615BD4.gif

That’s a great help thanks but I can’t believe I haven’t (yet) considered an orange & red combo! 😳 Thank goodness for our limited Emira colour choices! 😅

BeHappy

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
View attachment 3224
Here’s another photo of the Hethel yellow sample I took outside B&C at the roadshow up against a yellow Elise. It’s a nice looking colour &, if it’s anything like my 718’s racing yellow, it will still look striking whether it’s freshly clean or covered in muck!
At least there is a video to view of the yellow Emira so you can get a good feel of the total effect on a complete car, we need this for the magma red also

OP
EmiraMike

EmiraMike

Emira Fan
Reaction score
At least there is a video to view of the yellow Emira so you can get a good feel of the total effect on a complete car, we need this for the magma red also
100%! The photos & videos of the yellow car in Shanghai were really helpful. Hopefully the Magma will flow soon 🌋🤞🏼

Porter

tap tap... is this thing on?
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
For me any burgundy tones and I simply could not choose that colour, it’s a sports car sorry but burgundy is for very mature people IMO. It’s like Mazda colour I’m sure many mature people love it but not for me. On the billiards ball I don’t see burgundy
No worries! Everybody has their thing. For me personally, I think colors like this are super classy in interesting and unexpected ways. And this is way, way darker than what Lotus is showing on the Magma.

1645469776007.png

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
Hi all,

I’m a long time forum reader, first time writer. Firstly a huge thanks to everybody for all your posts, which have been massively helpful throughout. It goes without saying, but special mention to @TomE & @Eagle7 for feeding my Emira addiction with expert level support & beautiful renders!

I placed my first deposit on July 14th & I’m getting excited about my 3rd phone call hence my first post.

I live in Kent, England where we have a good mix of scenic coastal drives & twisty country lanes.

I’m currently driving a Porsche Cayman 718 T which is an absolute pleasure but, like so many of us on here, I fell head over heels for the Emira’s curves so will be parting company with the Cayman. I suppose in this regard I am Lotus’s target audience.

My initial order was…
  • Manual V6
  • Touring
  • Hethel yellow
  • Black alcantara yellow stitch
  • Full black pack
  • Black wheels
  • Red brakes
However, since the new & much improved configurator, I have since called Lotus (who were very helpful) & changed my order to…
  • Manual V6
  • Touring
  • Magma red
  • Tan leather
  • Lower black pack
  • Black wheels
  • Yellow brakes
The magma has certainly grown on me since the online configurator was updated, but I’m still a bit worried about changing to red after holding the magma paint sample in my hand during my roadshow visit to B&C. It seemed a bit too burgundy back then for my liking? Hopefully we’ll get to see actual photos/videos of all six paint colours soon! 🤞🏼

The more I’ve thought about the car (there has been a lot of thinking!!!) the more I’ve decided that the tan interior is the most important thing for me. So my question is, would the tan leather interior go with the Hethel yellow exterior with full black pack?

I keep coming back to this as my ideal configuration but it is, perhaps, a bit ‘out there 70s retro vibe’ so I might need to stick on some flares & play the Bee Gees loud through the KEF speakers (which have been made here in Kent)! 🕺🏼

I recently chatted with the helpful folks at B&C to ask their opinion. They said that the Hethel yellow, full black pack & tan interior is definitely something which has grown on them & they think it will work, but is obviously a personal choice.

I’ve been looking at photos online for reference & have found a very funky image of a yellow 70s Lamborghini Countach with a tan leather interior. It looks amazing, which has not helped with my indecision dilemma! 😬

I’ve tried to attach the photo of the yellow & tan Countach, but I’m afraid I’m a bit of a technophobe so haven’t been able to work out how to do it so any help would be much appreciated. 🙏

Thanks again to you all. Here’s to feeding our collective Emira addictions! 🥳
As @eclat2emira pointed out, as a general rule, yellow and tan don't normally go together artistically speaking, but there can be differences which can make it work. In the Lambo example you posted, it has a monotone interior, which visually is just one big shock of color against the yellow body which is also one big shock of color. The better interior designs have contrasts to offset the shock effect. This is why a black seat with red or yellow stitching looks good, because it breaks up the monotone look of the all-black seat. Contrasting if used carefully, can really add to the look of things by enabling you to see shapes and details better.

Fortunately, the Emira has a duotone interior, so even if you get tan leather, there are significant areas that are black, including the black stripe down the middle of the seat. This helps to make it work against a yellow body, and especially with the black pack roof and cantrail.

Here are two renders, one with your original spec of the black Alcantara interior, and the exact same shot with the tan interior.

EmiraMike 1.png

EmiraMike 1a.png

They both work, but the tan seats add a little extra warmth visually to the cabin, which helps to offset the all-black look of it.

Here's a couple more with low-angle, bright early morning sunlight to highlight the seats.

EmiraMike 1b.png

EmiraMike 1c.png

Because the seats are also duotone, this avoids the visual shock effect of the Lambo interior. I personally think this looks just fine.

OP
EmiraMike

EmiraMike

Emira Fan
Reaction score
As @eclat2emira pointed out, as a general rule, yellow and tan don't normally go together artistically speaking, but there can be differences which can make it work. In the Lambo example you posted, it has a monotone interior, which visually is just one big shock of color against the yellow body which is also one big shock of color. The better interior designs have contrasts to offset the shock effect. This is why a black seat with red or yellow stitching looks good, because it breaks up the monotone look of the all-black seat. Contrasting if used carefully, can really add to the look of things by enabling you to see shapes and details better.

Fortunately, the Emira has a duotone interior, so even if you get tan leather, there are significant areas that are black, including the black stripe down the middle of the seat. This helps to make it work against a yellow body, and especially with the black pack roof and cantrail.

Here are two renders, one with your original spec of the black Alcantara interior, and the exact same shot with the tan interior.

View attachment 3230
View attachment 3231

They both work, but the tan seats add a little extra warmth visually to the cabin, which helps to offset the all-black look of it.

Here's a couple more with low-angle, bright early morning sunlight to highlight the seats.

View attachment 3232
View attachment 3233

Because the seats are also duotone, this avoids the visual shock effect of the Lambo interior. I personally think this looks just fine.
Thanks very much @Eagle7 for your feedback and stunning renders, which have got me leaning back towards team Hethel yellow! I really like the extra autumnal style warmth that the tan brings to the cabin and think you're right about how the duotone ties the package together, particularly with the upper black pack. On seeing the renders I'm now wondering if the red brake calipers look a bit out of place. Perhaps these would look better in yellow or black?

Huge thanks once again. You've really helped me get a better feel for what the yellow/tan combo might look like. Now all I need to do is make my mind up before my incoming 3rd phone call!

Greatly appreciated.

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
Thanks very much @Eagle7 for your feedback and stunning renders, which have got me leaning back towards team Hethel yellow! I really like the extra autumnal style warmth that the tan brings to the cabin and think you're right about how the duotone ties the package together, particularly with the upper black pack. On seeing the renders I'm now wondering if the red brake calipers look a bit out of place. Perhaps these would look better in yellow or black?

Huge thanks once again. You've really helped me get a better feel for what the yellow/tan combo might look like. Now all I need to do is make my mind up before my incoming 3rd phone call!

Greatly appreciated.
Actually the red works in this case by adding just a touch of contrast to the wheel area. Because the wheels are all black, it creates a visual void, so the red helps to break that up slightly.

Either black calipers or silver will work, they're just more subdued than the red. I wouldn't go with yellow, that's too much yellow, and it's not even the same shade as Hethel or the logo.

EmiraMike 1d.png

EmiraMike 1e.png

Blue97

Reaction score
I was wondering if anybody else would be brave enough ! I have gone Yellow , full Black pack , Tan interior , Silver wheels. This combination definitely works and is what this exotic looking car deserves . July delivery.

OP
EmiraMike

EmiraMike

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Actually the red works in this case by adding just a touch of contrast to the wheel area. Because the wheels are all black, it creates a visual void, so the red helps to break that up slightly.

Either black calipers or silver will work, they're just more subdued than the red. I wouldn't go with yellow, that's too much yellow, and it's not even the same shade as Hethel or the logo.

View attachment 3238
View attachment 3239
That's great advice thanks! The more I look at your lovely renders and play with the configurator, the more confident I'm getting about what to do when decision time comes.

OP
EmiraMike

EmiraMike

Emira Fan
Reaction score
I was wondering if anybody else would be brave enough ! I have gone Yellow , full Black pack , Tan interior , Silver wheels. This combination definitely works and is what this exotic looking car deserves . July delivery.
Ahh ha! So I'm not the only one. At this rate we'll be able to form a yellow & tan exotic special interest group! (y)

torstin

Reaction score
It’s utterly ridiculous to think they have cars sitting painted in first edition colours and people are having to play guessing games imagining what they’re shelling out close to £80k for will actually look like.

Take a couple of damn photos, Lotus!

richbrown

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Thanks very much Tom. That’s really helpful. My switch to Magma came in part from the new configurator, but also from your’s & others feedback following your recent visit to see the cars at Hethel. As you say, not long to go now!
A great day to place the order ! I’d be interested to know on your delivery date as I pushed my delivery to Q1 2023 and am a 14/7 1st deposit placer. Good luck in deciding your final choices and like you I’ve made many changes since my original spec ! I’m sure either combination will look stunning.

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
What color calipers?

OP
EmiraMike

EmiraMike

Emira Fan
Reaction score
A great day to place the order ! I’d be interested to know on your delivery date as I pushed my delivery to Q1 2023 and am a 14/7 1st deposit placer. Good luck in deciding your final choices and like you I’ve made many changes since my original spec ! I’m sure either combination will look stunning.
Thanks Rich. I’m looking forward to updating you all on my delivery date & final order combination. Your nimbus & silver wheeled avatar looks stunning too. Exciting times ahead!

Pav

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Hey Mike - I’m in Kent too (between Maidstone and Tonbridge), I also had trouble deciding but then like many have suggested, went with what works for me aesthetically (limited but bold colour palette - all the yellow options.)

Go with what you like and you’ll be happy, you can’t really go wrong on that basis! Hope to see you driving about, there will be much waving 👋