Cold start stalling

Just throwing my hat in the ring, picked up a V6 last Thursday and that has stalled every time after being left overnight on the first start. Proceeds to start fine the second time. Assume it’s on the latest software, very lumpy idle until warmed up also. Will let you guys know how I get on.
Well, I keep wondering if it is really a software issue. If it is, then every Emira should have the same issue. Seems it is only affecting a handful of us.

Confirmed that the latest software update does not help this issue at all. My car still stalls on cold start when it hasn’t been driven for a few days.

Local dealership is still waiting back from Lotus to see how to fix it. Seems like they need prior approval before even beginning to look at mechanical issues that should be covered under warranty.

Seems like they need prior approval before even beginning to look at mechanical issues that should be covered under warranty.
Correct, they need approval for _everything_
Just throwing my hat in the ring, picked up a V6 last Thursday and that has stalled every time after being left overnight on the first start. Proceeds to start fine the second time. Assume it’s on the latest software, very lumpy idle until warmed up also. Will let you guys know how I get on.
Get your O2 sensors checked. They were broken on other cars and resulted in rough idle and might result in "wave-like" acceleration.
The problem might go away when warm because the ECU detects something wrong and ignores the sensor after some time. Giving it a good rev also might trigger the same, at least it did for me

Last edited:
Confirmed that the latest software update does not help this issue at all. My car still stalls on cold start when it hasn’t been driven for a few days.
That's really just shameful for Lotus. Can't blame the dealers, I'm pretty sure Lotus tells them "Yeah it's fixed in the next update" and then it isn't. I almost expected this to happen again, it's not the first time. Someone at Lotus should needs to step up and handle this dumpster fire.

Starting my engine for the first time in the day without a lot of sputtering and stalling is simply not possible. After the engine almost falls out of the car.. a second time starting succeeds without any problems. It's really bad, someone who witnesses this at the first start must think what kind of engine is that... doesn't sound healthy? I also wonder if this can do any harm to the engine, it really doesn't sound right. The car has just returned from the garage for a final update and some other things that needed to be checked. And yet the engine continues to have this problem, unbelievable if you know how long this Toyota engine has been in circulation? At my dealer they don't exactly know how to handle this. In the meantime, my car has driven about 5000 km, but still has this starting problem... hello Lotus?

Hi All, we need to all raise this issue with our respective local dealerships so that they can then raise it to Lotus HQ in order for Lotus to realize that this is a collective issue affecting multiple vehicles across the globe. It seems it has fallen on deaf ears after I reached out to my dealership; they have also told me Lotus HQ has not replied them on this at all.

The last two times mine has been able to start without stalling, it’s still not good, but I think getting over 1000 miles and really starting to push it harder has helped. Can’t be sure though 🤷‍♀️

Anyone tried putting the ignition on first and waiting a few seconds before turning over? If it’s really fuel pressure this should work fine, no?

The last two times mine has been able to start without stalling, it’s still not good, but I think getting over 1000 miles and really starting to push it harder has helped. Can’t be sure though 🤷‍♀️
Do you notice the cold start stalling happens more often after the car has been out for a spirited drive the previous day. Also have you tried leaving your car for 2-3 days without being driven and had more severe stalling after?

I’m beginning to notice patterns but will run a few more scenarios so I can come back with more data.

Yep, I have the same issue. Dealer told me to bring it back in. Most of my kms have been back and forth from the dealership. FML.
After reading this I remember reading about another person who had problems of starting their car on an inclined driveway. Try parking your car overnight on a level area and see if it makes a difference. His was pickup in the tank problem .

My car went in for recall on Friday last week, before this I had no issues with cold start (car sits outside on inclined drive)

Now every cold start is like it only fires on 3 or 4 cylinders, shakes the car like mad and then dies unless I can catch the throttle.

Does not do it hot.

As its only just started I wonder if its caused by the ECU update I just had which may have been the base program for some of you (mine is a Feb 23 build)

Oh and SOS issue also start same time 🤔

After reading this I remember reading about another person who had problems of starting their car on an inclined driveway. Try parking your car overnight on a level area and see if it makes a difference. His was pickup in the tank problem .
My car is not parked on an incline. I have not had the chance to test this theory.
My car went in for recall on Friday last week, before this I had no issues with cold start (car sits outside on inclined drive)

Now every cold start is like it only fires on 3 or 4 cylinders, shakes the car like mad and then dies unless I can catch the throttle.

Does not do it hot.

As its only just started I wonder if its caused by the ECU update I just had which may have been the base program for some of you (mine is a Feb 23 build)

Mine has done it pretty much since I got the car (mine is a Jan 23 build), but I think I did not notice it as much as I drove the car a bit more often in the beginning (as expected). I went to get the latest software update early August, w/ the dealer hoping it to resolve the issue, but it has not resolved the issue.

As for the SOS issue, I would suggest you charge your battery full and then it should go away (at least this worked for me). My car was also delivered with a battery that wasn't fully charged.

Does not do it hot.

My car (Jan 23 build) had this issue from the very start and got the latest software update, which did not fix the problem. Again, I'm dismissing the software as the reason, as not all Emiras are suffering from this issue.

My car is back at the dealership (AGAIN).

As for your SOS issue, try charging the battery to full, it should go away. My car was delivered with a battery that was not full.

Does not do it hot.

My car still has this problem from day one. Now my dealer called me last week to ask to come by to tackle this problem. Lotus is aware of this problem and should therefore now have a solution. They said it could be solved in half an hour. My car has 6000 km and has been updated regularly, until today no update for the cold start. On it for early October, I will update!

No difference my car is sometimes on a slope during the night and sometimes in a flat garage. The car remains difficult to start at cold start, no difference.

My car (Jan 23 build) had this issue from the very start and got the latest software update, which did not fix the problem. Again, I'm dismissing the software as the reason, as not all Emiras are suffering from this issue.

My car is back at the dealership (AGAIN).

As for your SOS issue, try charging the battery to full, it should go away. My car was delivered with a battery that was not full.
The SOS issue only started after the update, its used everyday so if I have to charge it as well that's pretty poor!

The SOS issue only started after the update, it’s used everyday so if I have to charge it as well that's pretty poor!
After the latest August updates, a few people have reported the odd SOS warning message when it never happened before.

What’s the avg outside temp when this is occurring ?

Wonder if it has to do with colder temp ?

Guys - I have not read every post on this thread but the sound of the engine and what 'you all' describe sounds like mine did when it ran out of fuel.

I wonder if its draining back after its been left a while? I would think there would be a corresponding low pressure warning from one or both banks?

Anyone with this issue banged a code reader on straight after a dodgy start???

Just coming up to the magic 1000 miles and my Emira has developed the cold start stalling issue! Began a couple of days ago with very lumpy idle on initial start after standing overnight but recovered with some gentle accelerator application. Today it tried to start then stalled. However started completely normally at the second attempt (as others have mentioned). Only seems to be a problem when the engine is cold and starts normally when warm. Does anyone know if the root cause of this problem has been identified and a fix developed? Definitely a fuel starvation issue but odd it starts completely normally a couple of seconds after stalling through lack of fuel. Almost like the ECU doesn’t compensate the fuel/air mix for a low starting temp at first try but does for the second attempt.