Cold start stalling

Markc

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Hi. Last couple of times I’ve done a cold start, the car faulters and stalls if I don’t rev it. Could it be software related? The fuel in my car is pretty fresh.

Any ideas of what the issue may be, I’ve had a recent software update last week? I haven’t had this with any other modern cars I’ve owned. The car has been back to the dealers twice for minor niggles/software updates (they’ve had it for total of 4 weeks) would be keen to avoid the car going back in if I can.

Thanks Mark

I sometimes have similar problems. At first it was fine, but for the last week or so it sometimes nearly stalls after a cold start, and then somehow manages to recover. I have not received any software updates yet. Do you already have more infos about what causes the problem?

My MX-5 was doing that. Turns out the hydraulic lifters were bleeding down overnight. Not sure if the Emira has those?

Hi. Last couple of times I’ve done a cold start, the car faulters and stalls if I don’t rev it. Could it be software related? The fuel in my car is pretty fresh.

Any ideas of what the issue may be, I’ve had a recent software update last week? I haven’t had this with any other modern cars I’ve owned. The car has been back to the dealers twice for minor niggles/software updates (they’ve had it for total of 4 weeks) would be keen to avoid the car going back in if I can.

Thanks Mark
do you have a fix already? Mine wasn't at the dealer yet and still does it

I'm having the same issue. Anyone found the root cause of this yet?

I think those who are having this issue, me included. I find it happens more often after I’ve washed and jet washed my car. Can anybody relate?

I think those who are having this issue, me included. I find it happens more often after I’ve washed and jet washed my car. Can anybody relate?
My trigger point. Anyone got an OBDII scanner? Please check the O2 Sensor voltage, especially bank 2.

Mine just happens every time I leave the car overnight. I just put in a brand new battery, so I know that’s not the problem.

My trigger point. Anyone got an OBDII scanner? Please check the O2 Sensor voltage, especially bank 2.
I have an OBD tool, I can check that. What should the readings look like, if they are fine?

I have an OBD tool, I can check that. What should the readings look like, if they are fine?
They should fluctuate at idle, but not wildly. If they are totally static/fixed or are bouncing between two extremes, that's not correct.

I don't know the sensor voltage range for the O2 sensor they are using. You can probably look it up using the manufacturer part number printed on the sensor though. I think someone said it's a Bosch.

They should fluctuate at idle, but not wildly. If they are totally static/fixed or are bouncing between two extremes, that's not correct.

I don't know the sensor voltage range for the O2 sensor they are using. You can probably look it up using the manufacturer part number printed on the sensor though. I think someone said it's a Bosch.
It’s a Bosch one (Somewhat custom, not available on the open market) and it should be between 0.2 and 0.8. I can recommend "Car Scanner" on some Apple Device, especially on Mac you can read the graphs more easily

I have a tool from Autel, not only a Bluetooth adapter. I only had a few minutes to have a look today. The tool says they should be between 0 and 1.275V. Both showed 1.275V when the car was off. After startup, the initially did nothing for a few seconds, but started working normally thereafter. I will try to collect some more data during the week.

I have a tool from Autel, not only a Bluetooth adapter. I only had a few minutes to have a look today. The tool says they should be between 0 and 1.275V. Both showed 1.275V when the car was off. After startup, the initially did nothing for a few seconds, but started working normally thereafter. I will try to collect some more data during the week.
"Doing nothing" is expected since those are Heated Oxygen Sensors (HO2S). They take a little to reach operating temperatures

"Doing nothing" is expected since those are Heated Oxygen Sensors (HO2S). They take a little to reach operating temperatures
Ok, good to know. Then mine seem to be completely fine. My cold start also improved quite a bit. After startup in track mode, the revs drop to roughly 1.000 rpm for two or three seconds and then go up again to 1.300 or so to heat the cats.

Ok, good to know. Then mine seem to be completely fine. My cold start also improved quite a bit. After startup in track mode, the revs drop to roughly 1.000 rpm for two or three seconds and then go up again to 1.300 or so to heat the cats.
I’ve had the "drop and recover" behavior before. I could force it by tapping the gas quickly while coldish (after cat heating phase. It’s a drop to almost stalling and then recovering to idle rpm. However I think that’s expected and just map related - also something you generally never ever want to do when cold.
For your case of starting in track it might be something different actually. You start it and it uses the default startup procedure across all modes meaning:
- Higher sustained rpm immediately after startup to heat the cat
- Drop to default idle rpm
- Track mode takes over and sets the idle rpm higher

I’ve had the "drop and recover" behavior before. I could force it by tapping the gas quickly while coldish (after cat heating phase. It’s a drop to almost stalling and then recovering to idle rpm. However I think that’s expected and just map related - also something you generally never ever want to do when cold.
For your case of starting in track it might be something different actually. You start it and it uses the default startup procedure across all modes meaning:
- Higher sustained rpm immediately after startup to heat the cat
- Drop to default idle rpm
- Track mode takes over and sets the idle rpm higher
No, that‘s not what happens. More the other way around. It revs to 2.000 after startup, then falls to 1.000, and then recovers to the rpm for cat heating (roughly 1.300). After that it goes back to normal idle (1.000 on track mode). It shouldn’t drop to 1.000 immediately after startup.

No, that‘s not what happens. More the other way around. It revs to 2.000 after startup, then falls to 1.000, and then recovers to the rpm for cat heating (roughly 1.300). After that it goes back to normal idle (1.000 on track mode). It shouldn’t drop to 1.000 immediately after startup.
I agree, that doesn’t sound right

So mine today, having not drive in a few days, but having had a few hours on a ctek to top up, pushed the button to start, kicked into life and then immediately off again, familiar to anyone?

Started again and was fine on second attempt but weird how it stalled itself on that first attempt

Mine has done it just recently after nearly 2000 miles without an issue. Splutters and dies on first start up and then starts normally the second time I try it. Also might be related to after washing or being parked in the rain. Would be nice to see a reason and fix