• We are conducting our first ever Lotus Emira of the Month for May 2024. This will be a monthly contest and will be submissions from users, voted for by the membership. Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 May 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

❓ QUESTION No oil temperature gauge? Driving pattern on cold start?

Joel

Emira Fan
Reaction score
In my previous car, a '17 Mustang GT, I would make sure to wait until the oil temperature was in the normal range before going above about 3000 rpm, to allow it to warm up. I notice on the Emira there is no oil temperature gauge so I can't really use that as an indicator any more.

What are people doing with regards to making sure the engine is warm before harder driving?

Speedluvver

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
In my previous car, a '17 Mustang GT, I would make sure to wait until the oil temperature was in the normal range before going above about 3000 rpm, to allow it to warm up. I notice on the Emira there is no oil temperature gauge so I can't really use that as an indicator any more.

What are people doing with regards to making sure the engine is warm before harder driving?
I make sure I have been driving at least 10 mins before giving any beans - that's how long my Exige takes to get up to temp (oil)

Bod27

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
The rev counter starts off with a lower redline, as you drive it increases to the max 6800rpm.

Mistral

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order

I don't exceed 2000 revs until the water temperature reaches 88C, about 5 miles or so, then gradually increase the revs. Full beans after 7 miles. Something I've done with all my cars, probably overkill, but it doesn't do any harm and they never use oil between services.

Toomanyloti

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
the water temp gets up there pretty quickly 89-90c.

i am doing same as I would in Exige let water temp get there then add a few minutes for the stat to open and let the cold water from the rad in the front catch up a bit. Its a habit i still have even after I fitted the pressure relief kit to stop this happening. As standard the Exige could end up with HGF due to thermal shock of letting all the cold rad water hit the head at once.

I'm sure the yota mota has all this catered for but old habits die hard

Concept24

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
I have a Scanguage in each of my cars. It displays four of many choices of readings. One is coolant temperature and I can verify by this and the owner's manual of my Mazda 3 that the illuminated symbol within the display screen disappears when the coolant temperature reaches 130. After that, I can accelerate aggressively if necessary.

EmiraHK

Reaction score
Ya, this whole thing really gets to me. It's 2023, and Lotus is still running an older Toyota engine in the Emira V6 models; don't get me wrong, this is fine, but I would think (I could be wrong, but..) they would at least supplement the engine by installing more sensors that are pretty much standard in most European cars such as oil pressure/temperature, coolant levels, boost, fuel pressure, etc. This makes it much easier to diagnose issues and also helps in preventing any catastrophic failures brewing.

I mean the car still has a dipstick to check engine oil levels...