• We are conducting our first ever Lotus Emira of the Month for May 2024. This will be a monthly contest and will be submissions from users, voted for by the membership. Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 May 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

❓ QUESTION Oil temperature and pressure reading?

jamesbxxx

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I can’t find this anywhere in the display. Surely Lotus wouldn’t miss this off a driver’s car, would they?

KJD

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Yep. They would. Not there. The Evora was the same. Bizarre.

Not even hidden in the OBD data so there are no sensors.

Presume the oil warning light is a simple level sensor??

Last edited:

DerTheDer

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Did they not learn from the Elise camshaft failures due to potentially getting on the motor while the oil was not up to temperate? Hell it should be basic to know your temperature of all your fluids. Good way to indicate problems or to ensure your not to rough on it before it gets to temp.

nelly111s

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Did they not learn from the Elise camshaft failures due to potentially getting on the motor while the oil was not up to temperate? Hell it should be basic to know your temperature of all your fluids. Good way to indicate problems or to ensure your not to rough on it before it gets to temp.
The rev limit is lower when it's cold. You can see the red line alter as it gets to 60º and 70ºC water temp.

981KMAN

Emira Fan
Reaction score
There must be an Oil Pressure Sensor - every engine has one!

Plus as a Sports Car, folks like to see the Oil Pressure, especially during Track Days.

Maurice R

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
There must be an Oil Pressure Sensor - every engine has one!

Plus as a Sports Car, folks like to see the Oil Pressure, especially during Track Days.
Lotus does not have one. So maybe it should not go on the track. Or maybe it’s not a sports car.
It does have warning lights. But when they pop up on the dash it’s too late. 🙃

Porter

tap tap... is this thing on?
Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Lotus does not have one. So maybe it should not go on the track. Or maybe it’s not a sports car.
Yes it does have one, because the Toyota engine has one. You're likely referring to the gauge, not the sensor.

Last edited:

kitkat

Emira Degenerate
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
The 2GR-FE almost certainly has an oil pressure switch that’s an on off based on a threshold pressure but I doubt it has a pressure sensor which communicates a range of values to the ECU. Doubt it has an oil temperature sensor either.

I’d bet the M139 has both.

virtualmacho

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
JDM owners install aftermarket oil temp and oil pressure sensors to thier 2GR-FE minivans to show off their guage clusters, so safe bet the engine does not come from the Toyota factory equipped with these sensors.

Shahaf2911

Emira Fan
Reaction score
The BMW M2 (OG, maybe also comp) has a combined water and oil temp so you don’t even know if one of them is too hot until it’s “too late”, so you can’t go to the track and it’s not a sports car ? Great thinking

Aero

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
One of my biggest complaints along with the gauges itself. Dont see how a sports focused car can not have an oil pressure gauge. I dont care how much downforce I have at all times but would like to know how my oil pressure trends. They could've easily had a screen option in the knight rider dash to display it.
Its more scary the Evora didnt even have a temp gauge. :mad:

KJD

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Its more scary the Evora didnt even have a temp gauge.
It did have one (sort of).

If you connected an OBD reader the water temps in degrees were there, so there was a proper sensor installed.

Lotus chose not to display them in the dash. Just a icon that was blue when cold / off when normal / red when hot.

Very strange decision.

At least they’ve put the temps on the Emira’s display. Progress of sorts.

KAR120C

Get off my lawn!
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Oil Temp and Coolant Temp are standard ODBII PIDs. So, if anyone has an OBDII scanner and an Emira, maybe they could do a quick scan to see if they are getting readings. If you can read the PIDs, then there are lots of ways to get auxiliary gauges displayed, even if it's just a simple phone display app that you can drop in the cup holder.

And don't get me wrong, there should absolutely be a center display screen with additional gauges like that. But there isn't,

Porter

tap tap... is this thing on?
Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Oil Temp and Coolant Temp are standard ODBII PIDs. So, if anyone has an OBDII scanner and an Emira, maybe they could do a quick scan to see if they are getting readings. If you can read the PIDs, then there are lots of ways to get auxiliary gauges displayed, even if it's just a simple phone display app that you can drop in the cup holder.

And don't get me wrong, there should absolutely be a center display screen with additional gauges like that. But there isn't,
This was my thought as well. But according to KJD at the top of the thread, the OBDII data isn't present. I'd like to verify that.

KAR120C

Get off my lawn!
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Can confirm, looked through all sensors. No oil temp to be found :(
Further thoughts on this. Lotus embeds a lot of info that can only be accessed through the Lotus dealer scan tool. I wonder if they've chosen proprietary pids for this info.

Kitkat, does your Emira manual happen to show the service codes or pids that the Lotus scanner can access?