• The June 2024 Lotus Emira of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 June 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Carbon fiber bits

I wouldn’t order this part blindly until I knew the installation procedure. From what I’ve been advised by a Lotus tech, the front bumper removal and re-installation is a 2.75 hr job alone. Yes, nearly 3 hours to remove and replace the front bumper. That is a costly labour amount to replace this one piece, so I would prefer to install this part myself. If Aerie knows how to replace this part without removing the entire front bumper, I’d really like to know.

@Aerie can you please advise us on how to replace this part? Is it simple enough to explain here, or can you provide pictures to show how it is installed? Others are also waiting to hear back, and I’m sure they are holding off on placing an order until we find out what the installation procedure is like.

Thanks to @Martylemoo we have this. Looks simple enough.
Screenshot 2024-05-23 at 18.19.47.png

Has anyone found a set of nice carbon fiber side skirts / rocker panels (not sure which terminology applies)? All the versions I've seen are too fussy and over-designed for me, with canards and winglets, etc... Or they are "side skirt extensions" that don't replace the existing piano black side skirts. I'm looking for something clean and OEM+, not too aggressive. Basically, I want to replace the side skirts as though Lotus had made them in carbon fiber.

I spoke to someone at Galpin Auto Sports and said he can have them custom fabricated, but I'm assuming that'll cost an arm and a leg. If there's significant interest, perhaps I can organize a group buy, so let me know!

For reference, these are all the side skirt options I'm aware of (all of which I find unideal):
Automotive Passion Side Skirts
CT Carbon Side Skirts
Aerie Side Skirts
GRP Side Skirts
+ Other random chinese stuff on ebay etc

Has anyone found a set of nice carbon fiber side skirts / rocker panels (not sure which terminology applies)? All the versions I've seen are too fussy and over-designed for me, with canards and winglets, etc... Or they are "side skirt extensions" that don't replace the existing piano black side skirts. I'm looking for something clean and OEM+, not too aggressive. Basically, I want to replace the side skirts as though Lotus had made them in carbon fiber.

I spoke to someone at Galpin Auto Sports and said he can have them custom fabricated, but I'm assuming that'll cost an arm and a leg. If there's significant interest, perhaps I can organize a group buy, so let me know!

For reference, these are all the side skirt options I'm aware of (all of which I find unideal):
CT Carbon Side Skirts
Aerie Side Skirts
GRP Side Skirts
In the service manual these are called upper door sills. They're £800 for the pair and require 15-20 hours of labor to replace. This is because it means removing all the body panels besides the doors and the roof to access them.

It's been reported above that there are CF OEM ones coming, but no word on when.

Here's mine ready to go. Just be sure you want to go through that hassle.
PXL_20240513_225352636.MP.jpg

Last edited:
In the service manual these are called upper door sills. They're £800 for the pair and require 15-20 hours of labor to replace. This is because it means removing all the body panels besides the doors and the roof to access them.

It's been reported above that there's are CF OEM ones coming, but no word on when.
Wow, that's a bummer about replacement labor. Sounds terrible. Appreciate the info @Time2Fly! I'm very curious when Lotus will announce more info about their performance parts for the Emira.

CT Carbon Side Skirts
Aerie Side Skirts
GRP Side Skirts

the Aerie one is the least fussy if you opt not to use the mudflap. hard to get less fussy than that one

Thanks to @Martylemoo we have this. Looks simple enough.
View attachment 44139
Thanks @Martylemoo and @Time2Fly for helping to investigate this mystery.

It looks simple enough on paper, but in reality, it’s much more complicated. These are pics of the front with the undertray removed. I had help recently from a Lotus tech at my dealership with another project I’m working on.

7B26E73C-B537-43E8-814B-C79E89894BE1.jpeg
d7ccb1d0-e435-4e85-acc5-0dc4a573887c-jpeg.44143

FB861354-C367-42A9-9716-E773D79C368A.jpeg

AC243C5C-BE03-4BA1-A756-BD472B7823BF.jpeg

As you can see, those 4 bolts/screws circled in green are only accessible after the entire front bumper is removed. As far as the Lotus tech and I could see, that’s the only way to get access to behind that front splitter. Don’t forget, there is a wire grille covering that front air vent, also preventing access to those screws. It’s a Tetris puzzle of interconnecting parts and fasteners under there. If @Aerie has cracked the puzzle and knows what fasteners can be removed to allow removal of that black plastic cover below the radiator, I’d love to know. There’s also an aluminum “floor” in that front intake chamber in front of the radiator that would also need to be removed.

Here’s what it looks like from the inside. I took this picture using an endoscope. This is the back of one of those stanchions of the black splitter.

D5421DBA-E2EF-4F59-B8B2-B3E411693591.jpeg

Attachments

• D7CCB1D0-E435-4E85-ACC5-0DC4A573887C.jpeg
    D7CCB1D0-E435-4E85-ACC5-0DC4A573887C.jpeg
    247.5 KB · Views: 277
Thanks @Martylemoo and @Time2Fly for helping to investigate this mystery.

It looks simple enough on paper, but in reality, it’s much more complicated. These are pics of the front with the undertray removed. I had help recently from a Lotus tech at my dealership with another project I’m working on.

View attachment 44142
d7ccb1d0-e435-4e85-acc5-0dc4a573887c-jpeg.44143

View attachment 44144

View attachment 44146
As you can see, those 4 bolts/screws circled in green are only accessible after the entire front bumper is removed. As far as the Lotus tech and I could see, that’s the only way to get access to behind that front splitter. Don’t forget, there is a wire grille covering that front air vent, also preventing access to those screws. It’s a Tetris puzzle of interconnecting parts and fasteners under there. If @Aerie has cracked the puzzle and knows what fasteners can be removed to allow removal of that black plastic cover below the radiator, I’d love to know. There’s also an aluminum “floor” in that front intake chamber in front of the radiator that would also need to be removed.

Here’s what it looks like from the inside. I took this picture using an endoscope. This is the back of one of those stanchions of the black splitter.

View attachment 44156
@Aerie has said the bumper needs to be removed, and everything I've seen confirms that. Everything about this car is a puzzle. If I had known before embarking on my door sill project I would not have done it. As is it's going to cost somewhere just shy of 10k, and that's not really worth it, but here I am.

I do agree that it's best when parts come with installation instructions, and my personal preference is when the seller's page has those instructions for download so people can determine if they're up for the additional time or cost to install the parts.

@Aerie has said the bumper needs to be removed, and everything I've seen confirms that. Everything about this car is a puzzle. If I had known before embarking on my door sill project I would not have done it. As is it's going to cost somewhere just shy of 10k, and that's not really worth it, but here I am.

I do agree that it's best when parts come with installation instructions, and my personal preference is when the seller's page has those instructions for download so people can determine if they're up for the additional time or cost to install the parts.
Thanks for confirming the bumper removal. It’s an involved undertaking, but your 15-20 hr upper door sill replacement makes it sound like a breeze!

Thanks for confirming the bumper removal. It’s an involved undertaking, but your 15-20 hr upper door sill replacement makes it sound like a breeze!
And since I'm doing that, I'll do this splitter as well. The bumper is already coming off. What's another fifteen minutes?

By the way, the front bumper removal requires removing the access hatch (hood), under tray, and license plate plinth.

And since I'm doing that, I'll do this splitter as well. The bumper is already coming off. What's another fifteen minutes?

By the way, the front bumper removal requires removing the access hatch (hood), under tray, and license plate plinth.
It’s going to look amazing. Has Hethel completed your car yet?

Here continues my quest to replace OEM piano black with OEM+ carbon fiber. Does anyone know of an option to replace this center lip piece with carbon? I haven't seen anyone do this yet.

IMG_4786.jpg

Here continues my quest to replace OEM piano black with OEM+ carbon fiber. Does anyone know of an option to replace this center lip piece with carbon? I haven't seen anyone do this yet.
IMG_1783.jpeg

IMG_1792.jpeg

We have this OEM moulded front spitter lips arrive ❤️👍🏻

Hi, did you lowered your car ? Or put spacer ? It looks really good. I'm also looking for carbon kit and not sure about lowering since LA road is just horrible.
@silent cilantro hi, your car looks awesome 👍 did you happen to lower your car? And add spacer? I'm also looking to lower/add spacer with carbon kits installed but don't know how low I should go. I also live in LA and with horrible road condition we have I'm sacred to even lowering it.

@silent cilantro hi, your car looks awesome 👍 did you happen to lower your car? And add spacer? I'm also looking to lower/add spacer with carbon kits installed but don't know how low I should go. I also live in LA and with horrible road condition we have I'm sacred to even lowering it.
Hey. That is not my car. It’s @Golden Parrot ’s

Congratulations to @bestbil67 for their well-deserved victory, clinching the <May2024 Emira of the Month Winner> title on Emira Forum! A special shout-out is also due to @GoldenParrot for their remarkable runner-up entry!

The stunning entries truly captured the power and elegance of the Emira. The attention to detail and artistic flair in the submission has set a new standard of excellence. These 2 Lotus Emira empowered by the cutting-edge AERO enhancements , Lightweight alloy forged wheels and titanium exhaust systems that are a testament to the pinnacle of automotive design and engineering.

We eagerly await seeing what other remarkable feats you and your AERIE-equipped #Emira will accomplish in the future

View attachment 44612
f1900cee-54ed-4389-b128-61110e594e63.jpeg

View attachment 44611
9ac2c262-7bf5-4a95-8b9b-868a09fd773a.jpeg

https://www.emiraforum.com/threads/bilbao-emira-🏆-may-2024-emira-of-the-month-winner.4675/

Last edited:
@uberpatrolhead I love how your car looks with CT Carbon kits. I thought i read your comments that you lowered your car somewhere but i cant seem to find it. Did you lowered your car? and did you add spacer?

Is anyone near LA planning on adding Carbon / Lowering kit? Im going to order Decat Pipe/ Milteck Active Valve Control and I also have CT Carbon Kits / GRP Lowering Kit in the cart but wanting to confirms the ride and ground clearance is drivable in LA.

Back