CARB states... where's our cars?

4MIR3

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Want to start a thread to track CARB state deliveries... and latest info everyone is hearing. I'm first round (not that means anything other than I get the original MSRP). Deposit submitted 7/6/2021 (only bragging rights now). VIN is valid via insurance quote and NHSTA VIN decoder. Does not show up via google search which I assume means it's not stateside. No ships have arrived yet since CARB. Dealer stated more info this week, but it's Friday and radio silence. What's everyone else status?

Dr.JDK

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Thank you for starting this thread. The US delivery thread is a place that makes me too jealous to stay. I asked Bellevue yesterday when we will get the emiras, the GM said some update is coming this week.

99Problems

Reaction score
July 10th deposit, FE 1.0 as well. Similar to you, have my VIN, NHSTA decoder confirms it is a real car... My sales guy did say they should have more concrete info this week, but I was also told that if he'd given me the VIN, it meant it was in port at Baltimore :rolleyes:
I am torn... I'm excited, happy for those forum members with their cars, but its frustrating seeing FE 2.0 delivered in other locals, some of them ordered months and months and months after we took the bait, and we still don't know where our cars are at this point.

Nova

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Deposit/order dates in my signature. My dealer is in NJ. The last info I received from earlier this week is that they received an email from Lotus, indicating that the their cars are in UK getting a software update, after which they will be shipped ASAP.

My guess is that Lotus will try to get the cars out ASAP in a few batches, just like they did for the Non-CARB cars. The ships sail daily on average and there may be a delay of 2-4 days from booking to the start of voyage. It's possible, that the first shipment is already arranged.

We should hope to see something after 2 weeks. Fingers crossed.

Nova

Emira Addict
Reaction score
What's the series range (last four digits) of the VINs you guys have? My car is in the 1600s. I have a theory that the CARB state cars were actually produced later. All of the non-CARB state cars seem to have lower series numbers.

OP

4MIR3

Emira Fan
Reaction score
What's the series range (last four digits) of the VINs you guys have? My car is in the 1600s. I have a theory that the CARB state cars were actually produced later. All of the non-CARB state cars seem to have lower series numbers.
I think your theory is incorrect... I'm between 0300-0600

OP

4MIR3

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Oh, ok. Never mind then. haha.
I wonder if they started in order, but then adjusted once CARB situation became more clear on what they could and couldn't do. Focused on production on what would make the quickest money... non carb states.

scc.131.fe

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
1.0 FE with VIN in the 1400s. Also with Lotus NJ, no additional info yet. Although, Lotus NJ did mention that their cars were/are stored inside during the CARB wait, so if true, that's cool. I didn't need nor want the car sitting outside in NJ while the roads were salty.

Nova

Emira Addict
Reaction score
I wonder if they started in order, but then adjusted once CARB situation became more clear on what they could and couldn't do. Focused on production on what would make the quickest money... non carb states.
Yea, I think they were producing US cars starting sometime in October. This also dovetails with the excel sheets for CARB state cars that some some were "produced" while others just show "locked".

Nova

Emira Addict
Reaction score
1.0 FE with VIN in the 1400s. Also with Lotus NJ, no additional info yet. Although, Lotus NJ did mention that their cars were/are stored inside during the CARB wait, so if true, that's cool. I didn't need nor want the car sitting outside in NJ while the roads were salty.
Ha! I think I was the last or near the last FE1.0 order to be submitted. I'm not sure about being stored inside though. There was that photo of supposed cars in UK parked in a huge field.

Blackthought_

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Is there a time frame on if a car leaves the port at the UK to arrive at a US dealer? Is it 1-2 weeks or are we talking a month?

Aero

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Curious as to what the reason (probably ridiculous) was that your cars weren't even allowed to enter the state until CARB approval for 'storage' at the dealers like everyone elses? Im sure it was stated somewhere in the 500+ pages of the USA delivery thread but missed it.

khamai

Reaction score
Is there a time frame on if a car leaves the port at the UK to arrive at a US dealer? Is it 1-2 weeks or are we talking a month?
2 weeks on the water + 1-2 weeks at US port + 1-3 weeks for in US transport

Best case 4 weeks (east coast dealer). Worst case 7-8 weeks (west coast dealer). Worst worst case is the dealer in Hawaii.

Last edited:

FlyNavy01

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Late 2021 deposit
August 2023 FE 2.0 order
CARB State (Bellevue, WA)
No VIN given yet
No gift yet
No excitement when people say it might be 7-8 more weeks. I'm optimistically expecting my car at the dealer early April because I think it only takes 3-5 days to cross the Atlantic and 1 week for cross country transport but that's just an educated guess based off prior experience. Ironically I'm having it shipped to Florida after delivery.

Nova

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Curious as to what the reason (probably ridiculous) was that your cars weren't even allowed to enter the state until CARB approval for 'storage' at the dealers like everyone elses? Im sure it was stated somewhere in the 500+ pages of the USA delivery thread but missed it.
If we read California Code, Health and Safety Code - HSC § 43152:

"No person who is engaged in this state in the business of selling to an ultimate purchaser, or renting or leasing new motor vehicles or new motor vehicle engines, including, but not limited to, manufacturers, distributors, and dealers, shall intentionally or negligently import, deliver, purchase, receive, or otherwise acquire a new motor vehicle, new motor vehicle engine, or vehicle with a new motor vehicle engine which is intended for use primarily in this state, for sale or resale to an ultimate purchaser who is a resident of or doing business in this state, or for registration, leasing or rental in this state, which has not been certified pursuant to this chapter. No person shall attempt or assist in any such act."

And according to California Code, Health and Safety Code - HSC § 43154:

(a)(1) A person who violates any provision of this article shall be subject to a civil penalty not to exceed thirty-seven thousand five hundred dollars ($37,500) for each such action. For a manufacturer or distributor who violates any provision of this article, the payment of the penalty and making the vehicles compliant with applicable emission control laws may be required by the executive officer of the state board as conditions for the continued sale in this state of those motor vehicles.

(2) Notwithstanding paragraph (1), a dealer, as defined in Section 285 of the Vehicle Code, who violates any provision of this article shall be subject to a civil penalty not to exceed ten thousand dollars ($10,000) for each such action.

Other states may have similar fines, which Lotus doesn't really want to study/research/deal with, so no cars for any of the CARB states.

Nova

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Late 2021 deposit
August 2023 FE 2.0 order
CARB State (Bellevue, WA)
No VIN given yet
No gift yet
No excitement when people say it might be 7-8 more weeks. I'm optimistically expecting my car at the dealer early April because I think it only takes 3-5 days to cross the Atlantic and 1 week for cross country transport but that's just an educated guess based off prior experience. Ironically I'm having it shipped to Florida after delivery.

You need to check in every couple of weeks to see if they have a VIN for you. Lotus provides VIN updates to the dealers. Keep checking. Without a VIN that means no car.