CARB is behind us...But What Actually Happened?

brainf18

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Glad the wait for CARB approval is over but I'd like to know what ACTUALLY happened and why this was an issue in the first place? Is Lotus to blame, is the CA Air Resource Board (CARB) to blame...or is it some combination of the two? TMK, no one from Lotus UK or USA has offered any reasonable explanation. They seem happy to let debacle fade quietly into the past now the customers are focused on getting their cars instead of waiting on CARB approval.

I understand governmental processes can be glacially slow, but Lotus announced the Emira in July of 2021....A whopping 31 Months elapsed between then, CARB approval and USA deliveries starting. Covid stupidity and supply chain issues certainly slowed down the deliveries, but that doesn't explain not having CARB approval well in advance of March 2024.

Does anyone have any insight on what actually happened?

If Lotus screwed up it sure would be nice if they just fessed up, said sorry and promised to treat customers better in the future. I don't think a screw up of this magnitude should get a free pass...

Last edited:

kitkat

Emira Degenerate
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Lotus seems to have lost their US emissions certifications expert at some point. We all saw job openings for the position, and they probably just submitted late.

The filing dates were roughly October 2023 to both EPA and CARB and various tests were completed and documented in the summer of 2023. All you need to know about the timelines of what was completed and when is in the EPA and CARB filings/orders pdfs.

Combination of Lotus dropping the ball here as well as government entities taking their expected sweet ass time is what lead us to the delays.

Aero

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Would make interesting reading as well to know what happened. My bet is it 100% fault on Lotus not attempting to understand the CARB process or the time involved. The CARB process/procedure did change from the time they did the Evora to the Emira so that may have played a role.
Would be interesting to know what it cost them as well.

OP
brainf18

brainf18

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Zero, we're all still here mostly.
A non event is difficult or impossible to measure. how many potential SUV and sedan customers will now bypass lotus as a viable option b/c of the way this played out? No one knows, but I'd bet its alot more than zero

Time2Fly

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Well several people cancelled their deposits. My buddy pulled his, one of our Mods did the same, etc.

K_Squared

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I'm still not sure I'm going to follow through (if the f'n thing even actually gets here).
Love the car, HATE the company!
#FireMattWindle
I feel for you and others in CARB states. Hang in there, though. I promise, it WILL be worth the wait. I'm about 10 days into ownership and this car is amazing. It sucks big time that many US customers are STILL waiting but when the day finally comes you will *mostly* forget about all this ridiculous BS we had to put up with for so long.