Car tax

dave355

Reaction score
So am I right in thinking first year tax on the v6 is £1910 then £490 for the next 5 years.Well guess it is what it is hopefully won’t change during that time like previous tax groups

Stormcloud

Reaction score
So am I right in thinking first year tax on the v6 is £1910 then £490 for the next 5 years.Well guess it is what it is hopefully won’t change during that time like previous tax groups
27th October - Budget.

Government is balancing getting you out of ICE cars whilst EVs become more affordable. Those that won't give up the ICE way in 10 years will have to pay a very high tax indeed. But yes, your numbers are right I think, from the last time I checked, if they move, they wont move by much, yet. All numbers subject to change. ;)

OP
dave355

dave355

Reaction score
against £895 for the i4 then same £490 for 5 years .guess that may persuade some that were undecided to the i4. All seams totally unfair with the extra tax for cars costing more than £40k

Reaction score
27th October - Budget.

Government is balancing getting you out of ICE cars whilst EVs become more affordable. Those that won't give up the ICE way in 10 years will have to pay a very high tax indeed. But yes, your numbers are right I think, from the last time I checked, if they move, they wont move by much, yet. All numbers subject to change. ;)
Disagree.

A tax on ICE cars will eventually become a tax on those on low incomes who can't afford a shiny new electric car. Would be very unpopular politically.

With the continued growth in electric car usage, they will be far more interested in how they can extract revenue from electric car drivers.

OP
dave355

dave355

Reaction score
Let’s hope that becomes the plan of action (sorry ev owners )

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
At least we're not in one of the continental European countries where the tax on the V6 is eye-watering. And the Canadians and Australians can chip in here about their Luxury Car Tax. I'm in the "it could be worse" camp (and hoping the budget doesn't hammer it) :)

Jonhklee

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
I much prefer the cost per mile type tax. Cars such as Lotuses do lower miles than the commuters, which uses the roads more often…. I’m a EV advocate, and fully expect the Gov to tax EVs somehow in the future. Road tax according to miles driven is the fairest I think.

irishboy77

Reaction score
At least we're not in one of the continental European countries where the tax on the V6 is eye-watering. And the Canadians and Australians can chip in here about their Luxury Car Tax. I'm in the "it could be worse" camp (and hoping the budget doesn't hammer it) :)
A whole lot worse! Australian LCT is so so bad. 33%

Mike-engel

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Disagree.

A tax on ICE cars will eventually become a tax on those on low incomes who can't afford a shiny new electric car. Would be very unpopular politically.

With the continued growth in electric car usage, they will be far more interested in how they can extract revenue from electric car drivers.
This is exactly right. But despite the impact on the less affluent, governments will not care. They have no concern for the unintended consequences of short sighted decisions. They make them all the time, and they generally hurt poor people by increasing their dependency on government. It makes me sad.

Reactions: Rob

Mike-engel

Emira Fiend
Reaction score

Road pricing may be coming after all
This is a perfect example of not thinking things through when devising systems that are “fair”. For example, how do these people think goods and services get to consumers? They are transported by truck or car to the end user. These costs will be passed on to the end user in an amount proportional to use. Essentially it’s just another tax to raise the costs of everything for everyone. These structures disproportionately impact those with fewer resources because they are a greater percentage of their resources. Just like sales taxes are regressive so too are proportionate use/value type taxes of all types. And once established governments become addicted to them and cost rise to exacerbate their negative impact. Just look at sales taxes in the US. They have continually risen as a percentage of price since they were enacted. Why? Shouldn’t the revenue they raise go up as items become more expensive through inflation, thereby covering the increased costs for which those resources are deployed? Truth is, every tax is a wedge to pry open your wallet more and more with each passing year until economic growth actually declines. Government can’t tax us into prosperity because they don’t create anything. Only people do. There needs to be a floor below which miles travelled are free so we incentivize commerce and facilitate economic growth.