• We are conducting our first ever Lotus Emira of the Month for May 2024. This will be a monthly contest and will be submissions from users, voted for by the membership. Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 May 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Break in Oil Change?

MYFASTEFE

Emira Fan
Reaction score
First i will do between 500 and 600 miles. I do mine every year and def less than 5k miles.
I'll be keeping mine until the wheels fall off

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I did the first one at 600, about to do a 2nd one at 1000ish. From there every 3000.

Used 6qts of RedLine 0w40, Amsoil oil filter and a HPS magnetic drain plug with OEM Toyota washer.

Here’s a UOA of the factory oil:

View attachment 42952

And here’s a VOA of the RedLine oil I used:

View attachment 42958

Notice the OEM oil viscosity grade is lower than expected. Range for 0W40 weight oil is 12.5 - 16.2 mm²/s.
You can sure see the difference in the quality of protection the Redline oil provides. It's more expensive, but it delivers.

Stiffarm

Emira Fan
Reaction score
You can sure see the difference in the quality of protection the Redline oil provides. It's more expensive, but it delivers.
Thanks for your input on Redline---I will use that if Pennzoil Platinum or Mobil 1 is not as good. Do you hae any opinion on them?

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Thanks for your input on Redline---I will use that if Pennzoil Platinum or Mobil 1 is not as good. Do you hae any opinion on them?
Pennzoil Ultra Platinum is a solid second choice, much easier to find and less expensive. A quart of Pennzoil Ultra is about $8 while a quart of Redline is about $14. If you're going to track you car, I'd say go with Redline, but if you don't want to spend the extra money on Redline, Pennzoil Ultra is perfectly good for the street.