Beep Away the Speed Limit sign warning?

DPBlessing

New member
Joined
Sep 26, 2026
Messages
4
Reaction score
5
My Specs:
Emira I4
Yes, I am new.
No, I am not affiliated with Beep Away.

As I consider buying a 2026 (with the nanny features), the one feature that will stop me from buying the car is the speed limit sign sensor beeping.
Yes, you can disable it at every start by wading 3 to 4 layers deep in the touchscreen...But...
Having had a stroke a few years ago, I cannot type with my right hand (shaky fingers) nor accurately hit touchscreen buttons.
So, while reading about this feature, I stumbled across a company online called Beep Away that provides codes to flash onto a USB drive that, they say, turns off the sound until you unplug the USB.

Note: I am not posting the link because I am new here and unsure of the rules.

Has anyone heard of / used this product?
 
There is a good reason for that. It's best practice (in the interests of max engine longevity) to keep revs under 3K until the oil reaches operating temp. That takes a lot longer than coolant to reach normal operating temps.
The dynamic RPM limit for cold engine doesn't care whatsoever about your driving mode. You will see the RPM limit reduced in all modes until the engine is up to temp.
 
I also currently own both a 911 and a C8,
Congratulations Foosh❣️You invested in the entire “triumvirate”, so you can’t go wrong‼️ Looking forward to see a post or a video where you do a “pros & cons” comparison, and you should remain neutral and not “favor” unless this is your true conviction💕 (My Emira is the First Edition “pre-nanny” version. I also have a (2013) “BMW F31 ALPINA B3 Bi-Turbo Touring and a (2008) BMW E93 (2008) 335i Convertible (also Bi-Turbo) that is modified to have OHLINS suspension and an ECU tune for a gentle increase of power. Also interestingly the E93 has got hydraulic power steering like in the Emira. So I enjoy my three different cars personalities. Life is sweet. (But personally I may avoid investing in upcoming newer cars built to stricter regulations including mandated “beepers”. As “a 1955 original” I think my current “stable” will suffice😇

(Sorry about my “Maker” badge which is there by mistake and will disappear in a month or two)
 
Last edited:
I won't be doing this software update. None of the ADAS features are intrusive as far as I'm concerned, except for the "beep." The Quick Menu tap immediately after start-up, followed by one more tap for beep off has become an automatic part of my start-up routine.

The other things removed by this update aren't a bother.
 
I complain about that on the Emira! I don't care about Tour mode at all, yet it always starts in it.
There are car regulations in America that the car has to start in the mode that is emissions tested. To make the car be able to start in non-tour modes Lotus would have to redo emissions testing in those modes. While it wouldn't fail it would probably tick another MPG off their monroney and mess with fleet average, possibly also triggering a gas guzzler tax.

Not sure if Europe has similar rules.
 
I won't be doing this software update. None of the ADAS features are intrusive as far as I'm concerned, except for the "beep." The Quick Menu tap immediately after start-up, followed by one more tap for beep off has become an automatic part of my start-up routine.

The other things removed by this update aren't a bother.
I’m totally with you at this point as well and my experience with my 26 Emira(2600 miles).The only nanny that is intrusive or bothersome is the traffic/sign speed recognition. And that as we have said so many times in this thread and many others is two literally two second pushes and you’re done. For me it’s sport mode next and I’m off. Probably 20-30 seconds from start up to driving enjoyment. I’m just hesitant to let anybody even the dealership start messing with the software and removing things just yet.
 
Agreed, I'm a strong believer in the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" philosophy. This fails my cost/benefit analysis because of an even small chance that this software change may have unintended consequences, and the benefits to me are nil.
 
Last edited:
I wish that turning off sign recognition didn't put a "warning" icon on the dashboard display. I found the system was not reliable (I got on a toll way in Austin and the speed limit was shown at 120MPH!!!!!!! I mean, I've driven that fast on it but I don't think a cop would accept "but my car said the limit was 120".
 
I wish that turning off sign recognition didn't put a "warning" icon on the dashboard display. I found the system was not reliable (I got on a toll way in Austin and the speed limit was shown at 120MPH!!!!!!! I mean, I've driven that fast on it but I don't think a cop would accept "but my car said the limit was 120".
We talked about that above. If the camera hasn't seen a speed limit sign after a designated interval, it defaults to a higher speed display, which keeps it from beeping, assuming you're not exceeding the illegal speed limit displayed.

I just turn the aural warning off because I don't mind the speed limit icon on my center display, and I don't like seeing the universal warning icon if I turn speed recognition totally off.
 
Last edited:
I wish that turning off sign recognition didn't put a "warning" icon on the dashboard display. I found the system was not reliable (I got on a toll way in Austin and the speed limit was shown at 120MPH!!!!!!! I mean, I've driven that fast on it but I don't think a cop would accept "but my car said the limit was 120".
I don’t get any warning icon on the dash display when turning that system off. That would be a different story for me. I know when you turn off the Lane Departure warning system you’ll get the triangle warning, but I don’t ever get that for the speed/sign recognition system being turned off. It’s a totally normal display in my car.
 
I don’t get any warning icon on the dash display when turning that system off. That would be a different story for me. I know when you turn off the Lane Departure warning system you’ll get the triangle warning, but I don’t ever get that for the speed/sign recognition system being turned off. It’s a totally normal display in my car.
You don't get the warning if you simply disable aural warning (beep). You would if you turned the entire system off, which is also an option.
 
I was about to go with the Beepaway solution (thanks @DPBlessing for mentioning it!) when my Lotus dealer emailed me with this gem today! :D

"TITLE Optional removal of specific ADAS/driver support functions at customer request.

REASON Feedback received from some Emira owners have expressed a wish to remove some of the selectable driver support functions available for 2026 model year vehicles onwards because of their intentional intrusion alerts whilst driving. the driver support functions affected are:

- Lane departure warning.*
- Traffic sign recognition/vehicle overspeed alert.
- Fatigue alert.

*Lane departure warning is not available on 2027 model year vehicles for the Federal market.

Note: Although these driver support options can be deselected from the centre display, they will all default to ‘on/active’ at the next drive cycle.

ACTION If an Emira owner is dissatisfied with the intrusive alerts of one or more of the driver support functions listed above, then, specifically at their request, the owner can be offered an Aftersales service level software option to remove options from their vehicle. Please make the owner aware that these features are not individually selectable and that installing this software option will remove all three of these options from the vehicle."

I can confrim this is happening -- a rep from Lotus was at LUG this past weekend offering to flash cars if the people had adas and didnt want the nannies/beeping.
 
If I am reading that email right, the update removes the three ADAS functions from the car entirely. I wonder why they couldn't just make the on/off setting of the three features persistent across starts?
Yeah, permanent on/off settings for each ADAS feature would've been ideal. I'm going to the dealer next Wednesday for the software patch/update (I'll be their first customer getting the update); hopefully, everything will go smoothly.
 
I'm going to the dealer next Wednesday for the software patch/update (I'll be their first customer getting the update); hopefully, everything will go smoothly.

Looking forward to hearing about your experience. If positive, it might be worth the trip to my local Lotus dealer to get the update along with fixing a couple other small issues.
 
I wonder how the car reacts when the camera behind the windshield is covered.
I tested that. It gives you warnings that several systems don't work and you get yellow lights on the dash. The speed warning still works off its GPS database and still beeps. Its database is in kph though so the limits are too high. Ive also tested pulling the fuse on the nanny computer. It gives you a bunch of warnings at start up, like 6 you have to cycle through, then when you start moving it gives you a red triangle. I havent tried just disconnecting the camera yet. Its not a dedicated fuse and I havent felt compelled to pull off that plastic cover yet.
 

Create an account or login to comment

Join now to leave a comment enjoy browsing the site ad-free!

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Supporting Vendors View all →
Back
Top