Battery Tender?

ameeriklane

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Now that it looks like people wil be taking delivery of Emiras imminently, does anyone know which battery tender will work best?

I've used Battery Tender products for years, incluidng on my Elise. It looks like they now offer specific options based on battery type. Anyone know which would be the right one to choose?

On my Elise, I can plug it into the cigarette lighter as that stays powered even when the car is off. I'm guessing on the Emira, this isn't the case?

Time2Fly

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Start here. CTEK seems to be the way to go.

digilotus

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I use a CTEK MXS 5.0 on several of my cars (non-lithium batteries). Never failed or skipped a beat. I also leave them on for months at a time just trickle charging without issue. Many sports car manufacturers sell re-badged CTEK chargers too.

OP
A

ameeriklane

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
I didn't realize it comes with a tender already. Look at all the value we get with the FE!

Battery Tender has Lotus listed as one of their Partners on their website, but maybe it's from a tender they did for a previous model, if CTEK is doing it now.

robrmon

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
I’ll probably still use the CTEK one because my factory one on my evora let me down a bunch of years ago. The CTEK has warning lights to let you know if something isn’t right.

And to expand, when I said, let me down, this involved CEL warning lights, and a very expensive tow…

Aero

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
My car is definitely coming with one. Lotus may change that though once they aren't having their cars sitting waiting for CARB.
I was planning using a CTEK before getting a Lotus one as I've used that for years. Its what Porsche sells as their branded charger for 3X what you can buy elsewhere.

CHEESE

Emira Fan
Reaction score
The question is whether CTEK is better than the Lotus-provided charger such that those of us who already use CTEK should use them on the Emira.

scc.131.fe

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
To the lucky few with their North America Emiras: can we get a pic already of the Lotus battery charger and how it connects to the car? Much appreciated!

Aero

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
To the lucky few with their North America Emiras: can we get a pic already of the Lotus battery charger and how it connects to the car? Much appreciated!
I decided to go with the CTEK actually now after trying to figure out where to park the Emira and need extension which I already have. I want to be able to plug it in where I currently have another one installed (upstairs garage too).
Did everyone get a Lotus one so far with their cars?

Here's a pic of it. I plan to sell it now....You cant see the eye leads that are included as well.
charger1.jpg

Last edited:

scc.131.fe

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
... and the Lotus (Deltran brand)
Thanks, and so do the eye leads (terminal lugs) have a quick disconnect to the main charger harness, in which case it would be easy to leave them installed on the battery posts and just coil& stow behind the battery cover when not in use?

Does anyone have a Deltran part number for the equivalent charger without Lotus branding?

thanks again for the pic, @Aero !

Time2Fly

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Thanks, and so do the eye leads (terminal lugs) have a quick disconnect to the main charger harness, in which case it would be easy to leave them installed on the battery posts and just coil& stow behind the battery cover when not in use?

Does anyone have a Deltran part number for the equivalent charger without Lotus branding?

Looks like this one

It's lithium selectable as well for anyone who wants to swap labels with the one that comes with your car and have a Lotus branded charger.

Aero

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner

The eyelet lead connection wires are removeable and disconnect like most battery chargers. Can hardwire directly into terminals then have a short pigtail to connect to.

see post 59: lotus leads similar.

skydude

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I'll snap a pic shortly.
Basically they leave a little pigtail by the battery where the charger connects. They also showed how to close the trunk latch before the trunk is closed to prevent pinching the wire. You can still lock the car while the charger is connected.

Attachments

• IMG20240320092711.jpg
    IMG20240320092711.jpg
    300.5 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:

Stewart

Reaction score
I'll snap a pic shortly.
Basically they leave a little pigtail by the battery where the charger connects. They also showed how to close the trunk latch before the trunk is closed to prevent pinching the wire. You can still lock the car while the charger is connected.
Could you please do you best to describe how to close the trunk without pinching the wire?

skydude

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Could you please do you best to describe how to close the trunk without pinching the wire?
What they did at the dealership was this: Using a finger or screwdriver, push down on the latch as if the trunk was closing. This will close the latch, preventing the trunk from closing completely. This leaves enough room for the wire while it appears that the trunk is closed. They had to do this as my dealer had 20+ Emiras sitting, waiting for CARB approval.