Base Cost in the US - $75k or $77k?

christophermalex

Reaction score
It's been odd seeing multiple online articles referencing a Base Price starting at $77,100 when the Lotus US site still shows the Base Price starting at $74,900. May sound like it's not a big deal, but while considering an FE i4 and its value vs waiting for base with more color options I'm wondering why we are seeing different information. I would hate to be someone that waits for Base Editions and then the prices adjust for inflation, although I see that happening as soon as the second MY of production.

lion shf

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
It's been odd seeing multiple online articles referencing a Base Price starting at $77,100 when the Lotus US site still shows the Base Price starting at $74,900. May sound like it's not a big deal, but while considering an FE i4 and its value vs waiting for base with more color options I'm wondering why we are seeing different information. I would hate to be someone that waits for Base Editions and then the prices adjust for inflation, although I see that happening as soon as the second MY of production.
Where are you buying your car? How close is your service dealer? I’m an hour and consider myself super lucky.
I’m waiting for a non FE 4 in white w black

Medic518

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
There's a $2200 destination charge. So actual price of the FE is $96100 before tax, base is $77100 before tax.
FYI - Think you may be mixing up prices for the V6 and I4 FE - based configurator the I4 is $85,900 - so with delivery the I4 FE would be $88,100 not $96,100..

4380r

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Wait the destination charge is $2200???? That's a hell lot of money............
It’s a long boat ride for those going to North America.. Many will spend many miles on an auto transport once they land.

The cost of fuel driving the ships has doubled. The cost of fuel for land transport has doubled.

The cost of labor…in the shipping, then receiving ports is way up. The cost of labor on the ships is up. The cost of labor in trucking is up.

Last edited:

mjw930

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
As of today, August 20th there is no official delivery charge set. Some dealers are assuming it will be what it was for the Evora and presenting it as fact, it isn’t. They may end up being correct but until someone sees it in print from Lotus it’s just conjecture. However it probably will be over $2000 just based on historic data and yes, it’s higher than most.

Last edited:

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
It's higher if you're comparing destination charges for cars made in the U.S. Usually those are around $1,000 because the cars are loaded from the factory directly onto rail cars, then transported by rail to depots where carrier trucks pick them up and deliver them to the dealer. There aren't any charges for loading onto a ship and unloading. That's all done by union dock labor (not cheap), nor is there a charge for the fuel the ship uses crossing the ocean.

The Emira is going to be delivered (probably by truck) from the factory to the sea port, loaded onto a ship, transported to a port of entry where it's unloaded by union dock workers, loaded onto either carrier trucks if the destination isn't too far from the POE, or onto rail cars to be transported across country to a depot, where it's picked up by a carrier truck and delivered to the dealers. That's a lot of gas and union labor wages in between them and you.

I'm expecting the destination charge to be at least $2,000. If it's only $2,200 with the current fuel prices, that would be pretty good actually.

mjw930

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
It's higher if you're comparing destination charges for cars made in the U.S. Usually those are around $1,000 because the cars are loaded from the factory directly onto rail cars, then transported by rail to depots where carrier trucks pick them up and deliver them to the dealer. There aren't any charges for loading onto a ship and unloading. That's all done by union dock labor (not cheap), nor is there a charge for the fuel the ship uses crossing the ocean.

The Emira is going to be delivered (probably by truck) from the factory to the sea port, loaded onto a ship, transported to a port of entry where it's unloaded by union dock workers, loaded onto either carrier trucks if the destination isn't too far from the POE, or onto rail cars to be transported across country to a depot, where it's picked up by a carrier truck and delivered to the dealers. That's a lot of gas and union labor wages in between them and you.

I'm expecting the destination charge to be at least $2,000. If it's only $2,200 with the current fuel prices, that would be pretty good actually.
Exactly what Stelantis is doing with Alfa’s and Maserati’s, their destination charges are ~$1300 and~$1150 respectively. My German built Spyder was $1195. Both are less not because there are any fewer steps but because they basically own their own ships (VW group in Porsche’s case) and car carriers. yes, both the ships and trucks are owned by other companies but are fairly exclusive to these companies. The number is also somewhat made up and kept artificially low for these mega car companies.

I’m fine with the $2K (ish) number, they don’t have as much fat to play with.

~el~jefe~

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
It’s a long boat ride for those going to North America.. Many will spend many miles on an auto transport once they land.

The cost of fuel driving the ships has doubled. The cost of fuel for land transport has doubled.

The cost of labor…in the shipping, then receiving ports is way up. The cost of labor on the ships is up. The cost of labor in trucking is up.
uhhh

my porsche from Germany only has $1450. That is a farther distance. UK to the USA is pretty cheap transport.

the 2200 is a nice way to say Screw You, and take more money. Also consider that the US dollar is so strong, it's an extra screw you.

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
uhhh

my porsche from Germany only has $1450. That is a farther distance. UK to the USA is pretty cheap transport.

the 2200 is a nice way to say Screw You, and take more money. Also consider that the US dollar is so strong, it's an extra screw you.
You can't compare Lotus production to Porsche. Last year (2021) Porsche produced and shipped over 300,000 cars. That's more than Lotus has produced of all models combined in its entire history. Due to the contract arrangements Porsche can make with carriers, Porsche is getting a much better cost per piece to ship its cars than Lotus ever has or ever will. Lotus is going to ship only 700 V6 FE'S to North America for its entire first year production run. That's less cars than Porsche makes in ONE DAY.

Reactions: DJS

~el~jefe~

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
You can't compare Lotus production to Porsche. Last year (2021) Porsche produced and shipped over 300,000 cars. That's more than Lotus has produced of all models combined in its entire history. Due to the contract arrangements Porsche can make with carriers, Porsche is getting a much better cost per piece to ship its cars than Lotus ever has or ever will. Lotus is going to ship only 700 V6 FE'S to North America for its entire first year production run. That's less cars than Porsche makes in ONE DAY.

i had a quote 7 years ago to ship my Mini Cooper S to England would be $910 dollars.

That's one person. no deals, nothing. From Newark, NJ.

please. this is just china and greed. That extra 2200 is just an extra 2200. whole thing is extra.

2Lotus

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Volvo charges $1,095 - $1,195 depending on the model. They are shipping roughly 80,000 per year from Sweden.

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
i had a quote 7 years ago to ship my Mini Cooper S to England would be $910 dollars.

That's one person. no deals, nothing. From Newark, NJ.

please. this is just china and greed. That extra 2200 is just an extra 2200. whole thing is extra.
And the price of diesel fuel 7 years ago was $2.77 a gallon. It's about $5.49 a gallon today. By any chance have you noticed anything unusual that's happened in the last few years? Things have changed.

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
Volvo charges $1,095 - $1,195 depending on the model. They are shipping roughly 80,000 per year from Sweden.
Exactly. Economy of scale. Lotus is going to ship 700 V6 FE's to North America for it's entire first year production, and most likely in 3 batches; one for each of the 3 production months; January, February, March, so that's roughly 233 cars per shipment. That's a far cry from 80,000 cars.

EspritGuy

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Exactly what Stelantis is doing with Alfa’s and Maserati’s, their destination charges are ~$1300 and~$1150 respectively. My German built Spyder was $1195. Both are less not because there are any fewer steps but because they basically own their own ships (VW group in Porsche’s case) and car carriers. yes, both the ships and trucks are owned by other companies but are fairly exclusive to these companies. The number is also somewhat made up and kept artificially low for these mega car companies.

I’m fine with the $2K (ish) number, they don’t have as much fat to play with.
Let's not forget about Dealer Prep charge.

~el~jefe~

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
And the price of diesel fuel 7 years ago was $2.77 a gallon. It's about $5.49 a gallon today. By any chance have you noticed anything unusual that's happened in the last few years? Things have changed.
it's not diesel prices it's profits. I am guessing it's padding for developing the brand. It cannot remain there in a few years, that will piss off the retarded EV's plastic car buyers they most want.

it would not cost me to that much to send a sports car to England. I will attempt to get a quote to show the crappiness of Geely