• We are conducting our first ever Lotus Emira of the Month for May 2024. This will be a monthly contest and will be submissions from users, voted for by the membership. Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 May 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Australia to introduce new supercar laws

Johnson

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
https://www.carexpert.com.au/car-news/how-south-australias-tough-new-laws-will-affect-drivers

Interesting news: the state of South Australia has introduced new laws where owners of cars with over 276kW/t power-to-weight ratio will need to get a “U-class” driving license. The “U” refers to Ultra High Powered Vehicle. (This doesn’t include our cars, as the Emira V6 has around 212kW/t.)

However, another rule now prohibits drivers from disabling “anti-lock braking, automated emergency braking, electronic stability control or traction control”. That is, drivers who operate their car in “sports/track mode”, which consequently results in death or serious harm, will now face charges for “an aggravated offence” under the new laws.

I don’t know if similar laws exist in other countries, but here it seems to be in response to a spate of supercar crashes (including Teslas). It’s yet to be seen if other states adopt the new rules too.

Pegasi

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
I read the article. Not sure what to think about this. The first thing that comes to mind is that there has to be drivers that may not simply be aware of the ramifications of disabling safety controls and an online course may bring awareness. Once a car gets out of control there is no coming back. Thanks for sharing.

OP
J

Johnson

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
There’s been a slow erosion of speed limits here… the most notable was when the Northern Territory added a speed limit to a once unlimited section of the Stuart Highway:

https://www.drive.com.au/news/northern-territory-to-drop-open-speed-limits-gr4d5c/

In the past year, I’ve noticed 40km/hr zones dropping to 30km/hr, and so many more 50km/hr city sections. The windy road up to my house on Mt Wellington last year went from 70km to 60km (sad face).

And unlike North America (as I witnessed on a recent trip) speed limits are absolute limits. Go over and you’re more than likely to cop a fine and points off your license.

EspritGuy

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
There’s been a slow erosion of speed limits here… the most notable was when the Northern Territory added a speed limit to a once unlimited section of the Stuart Highway:

https://www.drive.com.au/news/northern-territory-to-drop-open-speed-limits-gr4d5c/

In the past year, I’ve noticed 40km/hr zones dropping to 30km/hr, and so many more 50km/hr city sections. The windy road up to my house on Mt Wellington last year went from 70km to 60km (sad face).

And unlike North America (as I witnessed on a recent trip) speed limits are absolute limits. Go over and you’re more than likely to cop a fine and points off your license.
Sorry to hear.
Wish you were here.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230803-184410_Google.jpg
    Screenshot_20230803-184410_Google.jpg
    225 KB · Views: 17

ND2021

Reaction score
Sorry to hear.
Wish you were here.
We have "superspeeder" laws here. If you are 15 mph over limit and stopped it is automatically towed and you spend the next evening as a guest of the state.

Cachaco131

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Emira Status
Waiting to order
https://www.carexpert.com.au/car-news/how-south-australias-tough-new-laws-will-affect-drivers

Interesting news: the state of South Australia has introduced new laws where owners of cars with over 276kW/t power-to-weight ratio will need to get a “U-class” driving license. The “U” refers to Ultra High Powered Vehicle. (This doesn’t include our cars, as the Emira V6 has around 212kW/t.)

However, another rule now prohibits drivers from disabling “anti-lock braking, automated emergency braking, electronic stability control or traction control”. That is, drivers who operate their car in “sports/track mode”, which consequently results in death or serious harm, will now face charges for “an aggravated offence” under the new laws.

I don’t know if similar laws exist in other countries, but here it seems to be in response to a spate of supercar crashes (including Teslas). It’s yet to be seen if other states adopt the new rules too.
Here in California it's perfectly legal to read a book or watch YouTube videos while you use Tesla Self Drive at 80mph. Or at least that's what a large percentage of Tesla owners do...

digilotus

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
We have "superspeeder" laws here. If you are 15 mph over limit and stopped it is automatically towed and you spend the next evening as a guest of the state.
Free car parking and overnight hotel? :LOL:

digilotus

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner

I don't think this is a bad idea ... from what I gather its an online course and a bit more driver education is a good thing.

What they should address as priority is some states permitting such high powered cars to be driven by inexperienced drivers with a probationary license. That's just nuts.

OP
J

Johnson

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
I don't think this is a bad idea ... from what I gather its an online course and a bit more driver education is a good thing.

What they should address as priority is some states permitting such high powered cars to be driven by inexperienced drivers with a probationary license. That's just nuts.
Yeah, but it's sad to think we need laws like this because people are stupid. And you're right -- I see a lot of P-platers in second-hand SS Commodores, breaking all sorts of road rules.

Hang on... just gotta go outside and yell at the kids on my lawn...

EZcheezy

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
im so glad to live in Texas. the traffic laws are pretty lax here and the roads are pretty good quality

Tonygcar

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
In Wales they are going to lower the speed limit from 30mph to 20mph from September this year. This is going to be fun there will cyclists cutting us up overtaking us 🤪

nelly111s

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
In Wales they are going to lower the speed limit from 30mph to 20mph from September this year. This is going to be fun there will cyclists cutting us up overtaking us 🤪
As a cyclist and Emira owner I’m not sure whether to be amused or incensed about this! :p