• We are conducting our first ever Lotus Emira of the Month for May 2024. This will be a monthly contest and will be submissions from users, voted for by the membership. Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 May 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Any word on ADAS???

Medic518

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Don't have an answer for you. However, you would hope it would be included, especially with an extra year of building/fixing issues with regards to the i4 delivery..

PsymonR

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
TomE mentioned in the Goodwood FOS thread that although all I4s will have the ADAS pods the first cars would only have limited functionality but later cars would have more features. Time has moved on since then of course so who knows what the current situation is, especially considering the delay.

I have a theory that ADAS is at least partly to blame for the delays, I could see that if they've suddenly realised they need it (or at least some of its functionality) for type approval reasons then they need it to be in place before they get the approval, which could explain both supply issues and certification being used to explain the delay. From what they were saying at Goodwood they certainly didn't appear have things in place to fully include ADAS when the first deliveries were meant to take place, so if it needs to be on all cars that necessitates a delay. But of course I could be totally wrong here!

OP
M

MajHall04

Emira Fan
Reaction score
TomE mentioned in the Goodwood FOS thread that although all I4s will have the ADAS pods the first cars would only have limited functionality but later cars would have more features. Time has moved on since then of course so who knows what the current situation is, especially considering the delay.

I have a theory that ADAS is at least partly to blame for the delays, I could see that if they've suddenly realised they need it (or at least some of its functionality) for type approval reasons then they need it to be in place before they get the approval, which could explain both supply issues and certification being used to explain the delay. From what they were saying at Goodwood they certainly didn't appear have things in place to fully include ADAS when the first deliveries were meant to take place, so if it needs to be on all cars that necessitates a delay. But of course I could be totally wrong here!
It would seem wise to use the delay in order to add ADAS and to bring the I4 more into the future. Seems odd to not offer at least blind spot monitoring in the US on a 100k vehicle.

PsymonR

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
It would seem wise to use the delay in order to add ADAS and to bring the I4 more into the future. Seems odd to not offer at least blind spot monitoring in the US on a 100k vehicle.
I should have been clearer in my post that I was talking about the UK/EU delays where I think at least some of the functionality will be coming through legislation rather than Lotus simply deciding to include it on the car.

With NA cars being over a year away, the UK/EU release of the I4 in the middle of the year may provide some information, but then again Lotus could theoretically take a different approach in NA if there is nothing mandated.

lynchy73

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Any other ADAS features? Does your BSM give an audible tone also?
Didn’t notice any audible alerts, just flashing lights in the mirrors. Not yet had a change to familiarise myself of all the functions, cruise etc. Overseas at the moment, so no access to my car.

To be honest the view over your shoulder is not so good in the Emira, so BSM is very useful.

OP
M

MajHall04

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Didn’t notice any audible alerts, just flashing lights in the mirrors. Not yet had a change to familiarise myself of all the functions, cruise etc. Overseas at the moment, so no access to my car.

To be honest the view over your shoulder is not so good in the Emira, so BSM is very useful.
Thank you

PsymonR

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
My I4 Emira (Lotus Nyo) has blind spot monitoring. My car was built in September AFAIK.
I think this is possibly the first report of any of the ADAS functionalities being present on an I4.

It'd be of interest to know if any of the other parts of the ADAS suite are on the car such as auto emergency braking, adaptive cruise control, road sign recognition, lane keep assist, rear cross traffic alert etc. (though realise you may not be able to give any further insight until you're back with your car, unless anyone else with a Chinese car can give any insight)

Medic518

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Another question around ADAS is whether the hardware (pod, sensors, etc.) is in place, but not the software - meaning it could be updated with the additional features in the future if not delivered with those features (á la Tesla).

However, the legislation/partial functionality/type approval as the cause for delays is interesting, could it also include hardware updating to meet those requirements too?

lynchy73

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I think this is possibly the first report of any of the ADAS functionalities being present on an I4.

It'd be of interest to know if any of the other parts of the ADAS suite are on the car such as auto emergency braking, adaptive cruise control, road sign recognition, lane keep assist, rear cross traffic alert etc. (though realise you may not be able to give any further insight until you're back with your car, unless anyone else with a Chinese car can give any insight)
I do remember speed warnings flashing on the dash, but can’t say if that’s GPS based or something else. Haven’t played with cruise yet.

I know there’s no Apple Carplay, which is a bit annoying.

lynchy73

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Strange that you don't have Apple Carplay. We definitely have it in Australia.
Thanks for letting me know that, I thought I read Australia didn’t get CarPlay, but i must have been mistaken.
I was slightly disappointed about the lack of Carplay, but it’s not the end of the world. When i get back will push that point. it would be nice to have Carplay as the built in GPS is in Chinese only as far as i can tell, so i need to use my phone.

Nick in Sydney

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Thanks for letting me know that, I thought I read Australia didn’t get CarPlay, but i must have been mistaken.
I was slightly disappointed about the lack of Carplay, but it’s not the end of the world. When i get back will push that point. it would be nice to have Carplay as the built in GPS is in Chinese only as far as i can tell, so i need to use my phone.
Australia didn't get DAB or inbuilt GPS maps . . . with no explanation or warning from Lotus. We got CarPlay.

Andy H

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
The only ADAS feature that would really interest me is Adaptive Cruise Control which can be genuinely useful on long journeys. The rest falls in to the nanny category for me.

My one worry is that when the i4 finally emerges in the UK, there could be a possibility that Lotus have added new ADAS features and possibly even upped the power to 400bhp. This all sounds great as long as it isn't seen as the justification for another price hike.

Medic518

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
The only ADAS feature that would really interest me is Adaptive Cruise Control which can be genuinely useful on long journeys. The rest falls in to the nanny category for me.

My one worry is that when the i4 finally emerges in the UK, there could be a possibility that Lotus have added new ADAS features and possibly even upped the power to 400bhp. This all sounds great as long as it isn't seen as the justification for another price hike.
Does the UK do the same as the US, as far as once you have locked in a spec the price is set - regardless of price changes?

At least that is the guarantee from my dealer, but not sure it's the same when dealing directly with Lotus in the UK. Just curious.

But it will be interesting to see what emerges in the UK for the i4, as we in the US will get ours at least 6mo after the UK.

PsymonR

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner

ACC is the main part of ADAS I'd be interested in, but can also see the benefit of blind spot monitoring and rear cross traffic alert. There are definitely some parts of it that are too much on the nannying side, but they're coming by legislation whether we like it or not, and there will be a point at which Lotus won't have a choice but to include them to be able to get type approval and I'm not sure if that point has been passed or not yet.

Does the UK do the same as the US, as far as once you have locked in a spec the price is set - regardless of price changes?

At least that is the guarantee from my dealer, but not sure it's the same when dealing directly with Lotus in the UK. Just curious.

But it will be interesting to see what emerges in the UK for the i4, as we in the US will get ours at least 6mo after the UK.
When locking in the spec in the UK the deposit is still fully refundable but there is no guarantee on price until final payment is made and Lotus Customer Care have not been able to give any price guarantees alongside the delay announcement. That said, those that locked in spec before a certain point (myself included) have the car currently at the price point from the first price increase and have not been subject to the second increase, so keeping my fingers crossed!