• The June 2024 Lotus Emira of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 June 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

❓ QUESTION Anyone's dealer make them sign an agreement not to sell the car within X months?

eriegz

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Just got sent all my pre-purchase documentation from my dealer today, and was surprised to see they want me to sign a document stating I will not sell the car within the first 12 months of ownership.

There's also a first right of refusal agreement saying they reserve the right to match any offer I may get on the car during the first 2 years.

Anyone else on here had to sign something similar?

KaZe

Reaction score
I was also made to sign a right of first refusal from my dealer in 2022. I can’t sell the car for 6 months after delivery and I have to give them right of first refusal for 3 years from the document date. Ironically, the car was delayed so many times that 2 years have gone by since signing of that document so they really only have 1 year left with this privilege….

Seems lIke it varies drastically from dealer to dealer. Honestly, a ROFR for the Emira is bullsh*t and doesn’t really protect potential customers from flippers. It simply allows dealers to be the only ones that can mark up their inventory :cautious:

Time2Fly

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
@KaZe that's garbage too. But I agree. Dealers shouldn't be able to scalp either. If they do you should get a sizable cut, or you should be able to name a price. Not just what you paid.

Lawww

Reaction score
I was also made to sign a right of first refusal from my dealer in 2022. I can’t sell the car for 6 months after delivery and I have to give them right of first refusal for 3 years from the document date. Ironically, the car was delayed so many times that 2 years have gone by since signing of that document so they really only have 1 year left with this privilege….

Seems lIke it varies drastically from dealer to dealer. Honestly, a ROFR for the Emira is bullsh*t and doesn’t really protect potential customers from flippers. It simply allows dealers to be the only ones that can mark up their inventory :cautious:
@KaZe where are you in Canada?

Reaction score
Yes that’s what I am wondering. Unless they keep checking on website and see who’s selling, or until new owner go to dealership for service or register. I just went to pickup the Emira, and I don’t see they give me any document that restrict for resell within one year.
Looks great, congrats. Yeah they can't force you to take delivery and not give your deposit back as that is illegal. I am not a lawyer, but feel free to sell the car and if they come after you, tell them you were forced to take deliver and they said you can't have your deposit back...and pretty much can guarantee, you would win

OR

Just enjoy this amazing car...you might not want to sell it after you drive it and get all this attention that you were not asking for, lol

Lawww

Reaction score
Looks great, congrats. Yeah they can't force you to take delivery and not give your deposit back as that is illegal. I am not a lawyer, but feel free to sell the car and if they come after you, tell them you were forced to take deliver and they said you can't have your deposit back...and pretty much can guarantee, you would win

OR

Just enjoy this amazing car...you might not want to sell it after you drive it and get all this attention that you were not asking for, lol
Thanks for the advice! Yes I REALLY DON'T want to sell the Emira. Its' amazing even just 20 mins drive back to home yesterday. And I also selling my E92 M3 :( As my current situation I just relocated here last summer and its pretty rush. I moved from a house the garage can park up to 4 cars to a double garage Townhouse. Plus my daughter is less than 2 years old and I am the one mainly taking care her during daytime (I run small business here so little flexible).

I think you are right, and they NEVER said Non-refundable (I just checked receipt I put $5K deposit back in July 2021). After that nobody contact me from dealership. And 2 months ago I asked if I can get deposit back and they said non-refundable !?. I asked what IF the Emira delay for 10 years, are you expect me to wait 10 years or forfeit my deposit? Very unreasonable.

I will try my best to keep the Emira, or I might have to sell it, but I DEFINITELY will buy again maybe 2-4 years later.....

Attachments

• Lotus Emira & E92 M3.jpg
    Lotus Emira & E92 M3.jpg
    224.2 KB · Views: 17

KaZe

Reaction score
Ok so we are the same dealership? or you order from other province> I didn't recall I have signed any document back in Sep 2021 when i placed the deposit.
Yes, I’m purchasing from the Alberta dealer. Grand Touring Calgary, right?

My deposit was also in July of 2021 and I signed the ROFR when I confirmed my order in May 2022. Looks like yours is even more restrictive though…not being able to sell for a year must be so frustrating!

Since we’re purchasing from the same dealer do you mind sharing how much you were charged for the “dealer preparation” fee? AKA transport costs and all that other mumble jumble that they refuse to share with me. Mine was $7k. Feel free to DM me if you’re uncomfortable sharing. I’ve been trying to compare with buyers from other dealers to see if we’re getting fleeced here in Alberta.